Virginia Tint law loophole?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaymanCider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How's it going everyone, I was looking into getting my windows tinted on my 4th gen pretty soon. But here in Virginia it says for SUV & Vans the front side windows limit is 50%. I was looking for more around 30-35% is there anyway I could get around that law, or does anyone recommend a "illegal" tint that would still keep me from attracting unwanted attention? Or.... am I just gonna have to go with 50? Any advice or tips help!

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
In Alaska, we have a loophole for sun glare & eye strain. Requires a doctor's prescription. With that, we're allowed to tint although I'm not sure how dark. Without it, all non factory tint is illegal.

fastbike02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
in mississippi with a doctor notes saying the tint is needed for sun sensitivity you can tint as dark as you want.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
in mississippi with a doctor notes saying the tint is needed for sun sensitivity you can tint as dark as you want.
Just one more reason why S.E.C. Country is a better place

Go Hogs
Go S.E.C.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Even if you get a Doctor note, it still gives reason to get pulled over for it. Do you really want the hassle?

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello fellow Virginian. I did 30% because the legal 50% is nearly even noticeable. If someone did it on your truck and did not tell you, you wouldn't even realize it was done.

I can't condone breaking to law but if you do the fronts at 30%, have the rear and back windows done much darker. It won't draw any attention.

Reality is the only drivers that get popped for tint in my area are ones that are obviously too dark or the ones in the annoying rice burners with the fart cans. The chances of getting pulled over for just tint is slim. They will usually get you for it in addition to something else you get pulled over for if you give the officer a hard time

Last edited:

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did my front 2 doors 20% and 5% over the factory tint in the rear. I have never been messed with for it. I do have a medical waiver for sun shading and it's attached to your plates so if an officer runs your plates, he sees it. Not telling you what to do, but 30% you won't have any issues.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I live in Delaware were tint is only allowed with a doctors note. Be surprised how many African Americans we have around here with a light sensitivity medical issue.

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
....and the reason they don't wear sunglasses?

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In GA if you have a job where you transport expensive equipment/tools you can get a permit for darker tint.

2003 1500 QuadCab 5.7 4x4

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In KS 35 i legal I believe. Everyone runs 20 and police could care less. (Usually) unless you are in a rough part of town acting like a ****.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As others stated, doctor's note is likely your only legal recourse. Of course the cop behind you won't know that you have a doctor's note until he pulls you over. As a cop myself, the best suggestion I can give you is to have legal tint only.

I can tell you that I usually put illegal tint on my vehicles though. So the SECOND best advice that I can give you is to IMMEDIATELY roll down your windows and turn on interior lights if you get pulled over. Show the officer that you are not a threat to him. Most cops will give you a warning if you are respectful and don't give them a reason to be in fear.

Stay safe out there. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
A friend had that Limo Black on his windows. Sucked at night. Had to roll his windows down to see out at intersections. Real nice when it's -30 out.

BlackOps6

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Virginia Beach VA and I had 25% on my Trailblazer SS and never got messed with. I had it for 8 yrs.

5bcfd6dac9e897ca6c7318cf9734d8dd.jpg

187d7fb3bdfc21af35006526a328f92e.jpg

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Whiteramsmatter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in Oklahoma the front side windows can not be darker than 30%. The back windows can be as dark as you want. But if you go illegal on your tint the ticket will be the same if it's 25% or 5%. So my thoughts are if it's illegal might go 5% all the way around, it really makes no difference at that point. I have to roll my windows down to back into a parking spot, other than that it is great during the day.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to start a pro or con tint war, but I have an issue with vehicles that have tint so dark that the driver doesn't have full vision at night and even at times during the day. If only the driver was affected by the lack of vision that would be one thing, putting all the drivers around them at risk because he/she cant see the road properly concerns me.

Mini rant over.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
I live in Norfolk and had 3% all the way around, until I changed the front windows to 20% so that I can see better. I have only been ticketed for the windows as a secondary charge, meaning I was pulled over for speeding and he gave me a second ticket for the windows.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
As others stated, doctor's note is likely your only legal recourse. Of course the cop behind you won't know that you have a doctor's note until he pulls you over. As a cop myself, the best suggestion I can give you is to have legal tint only.

I can tell you that I usually put illegal tint on my vehicles though. So the SECOND best advice that I can give you is to IMMEDIATELY roll down your windows and turn on interior lights if you get pulled over. Show the officer that you are not a threat to him. Most cops will give you a warning if you are respectful and don't give them a reason to be in fear.

Stay safe out there. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Been doing that for years. 20% all around, never had a cop in my province say anything. (Pulled over out of province for it. But they couldn't do more than tell me they didn't like it).

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Not to start a pro or con tint war, but I have an issue with vehicles that have tint so dark that the driver doesn't have full vision at night and even at times during the day. If only the driver was affected by the lack of vision that would be one thing, putting all the drivers around them at risk because he/she cant see the road properly concerns me.

Mini rant over.

Only see the road out the windshield. It's clear.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not from VA, but here in MA it must be at least 35%. The problem with not having legal tint here is that they will test it every year when we get an inspection sticker and if it doesn't pass then they will give you a rejection sticker with 30 days to fix the problem and get a new inspection. Every vehicle has to get inspected every year.