Virginia Tint law loophole?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't hardly see out of mine at night. Especially in my dark lit neighborhood.

I just roll my windows down. Problem solved.

Not to start a pro or con tint war, but I have an issue with vehicles that have tint so dark that the driver doesn't have full vision at night and even at times during the day. If only the driver was affected by the lack of vision that would be one thing, putting all the drivers around them at risk because he/she cant see the road properly concerns me.

Mini rant over.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Myself, I wouldn't temp fate, just to look/feel cool. Police are feeling like targets, and I'd feel the same way given events of late. I wouldn't want to make a cop any more nervous, approaching a window he can't see thru. just my 2 cents.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Myself, I wouldn't temp fate, just to look/feel cool. Police are feeling like targets, and I'd feel the same way given events of late. I wouldn't want to make a cop any more nervous, approaching a window he can't see thru. just my 2 cents.

Exactly. Roll down the window and turn on your lights. Cop feels a million times better and is less likely to write you. That is MY experience...

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just follow the law, there are no loop holes when lives are at stake.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
My windows are dark tint on my bike during the day and turn a nice light enhancing yellow automatically at night.

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
In PA anything the the cop can't see through is illegal, and I have 5% lol. Haven't had ant problems even begin pulled over twice with it. I use to have 35%, it wasn't even dark. I'd go with 35%, don't be afraid, it's not dark looking unless it's a rainy day.

Rken1288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
a98c30b68383b65f28b70133339feb1b.jpg
I'm in Va and did 30%. No issues with the law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You'll have to find a licensed inspector that will pass your illegal tint. That's more of the issue than is the cops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll have to find a licensed inspector that will pass your illegal tint. That's more of the issue than is the cops.

State Inspectors can not fail you in Virginia for illegal window tint.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Really? Interesting.....

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hello fellow Virginian. I did 30% because the legal 50% is nearly even noticeable. If someone did it on your truck and did not tell you, you wouldn't even realize it was done.

I can't condone breaking to law but if you do the fronts at 30%, have the rear and back windows done much darker. It won't draw any attention.

Reality is the only drivers that get popped for tint in my area are ones that are obviously too dark or the ones in the annoying rice burners with the fart cans. The chances of getting pulled over for just tint is slim. They will usually get you for it in addition to something else you get pulled over for if you give the officer a hard time

I'm in N. VA and use to think the same thing until my wife got pulled over in my Chrysler 200 for the window tint. She thought she was getting pulled for an HOV violation until he asked her to roll up the window so he could test the tint. He checked the tint all the way around and we had to go to court. I of course had the tint corrected beforehand and they waived the fine. He never said a word about her violating the HOV times.

I've lived in VA since 98 and this was the first time I've ever had an issue with window tint. When I went to get it corrected, the guy offered to just write a receipt and leave it and I told him to go ahead because she was still commuting in the car.

Getting legal tint in VA isn't an issue as long as you promise not to rat out your installer and State Inspectors don;'t check it. It's really up to you. Worst that's going to happen is you go to court and pay a fine. You decide to change it or not but, if that same cop sees you again and it's still illegal, you may not get off as easily the second time.