Water leak visible in headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waynesters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello forum pals,

I recently bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Sport pickup (last week) and took it in a 1400 mile journey this past weekend. While in the cab for that long, I noticed what appeared to be a old water mark on the drivers side A pillar, just above where the plastic grab handle molding meets the headliner. When we stopped for gas, I examined the outside and noticed that the black rubber weatherstrip that sits in the "drip rail" / "rain gutter" was loose. I checked other areas outside (passenger front, along the entire bead to the rear window) and it seemed to be tighter than in that one specific area.

I took a look for other posts and found that the sunroof drains could be clogged or the 3rd brake light could be the culprit however, I have no sunroof and the 3rd brake light area looks really good - plus I'm sure I would see stains in the back seat area if that was the culprit. Additionally, I read that the factory installed roof marker lights can leak, but this vehicle has none.

So, this leak really coincides with that lose weatherstrip on the roof line.

I saw some other people posting videos of water running out of the grab handle mount holes but nothing on a remedy to fix or repair.

I guess my questions are:

1. Has anyone else ever seen this issue, whats the best course for repair?
2. What's under that weatherstrip on the roof? Can I pull that back to inspect without damaging it?
3. Is the weatherstrip on the roof user replaceable?

I have not pulled the headliner down, but can do if necessary, I just wanted some opinions. I've included some stock photos for reference, I can post actual pics later.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Waynesters

inside_zpsli6f7nse.png

outside_zpsvq2s4lsk.png

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Start by pulling the 3rd brake light and running a bead of silicone around it. It may look good but you'd be amazed at how easily water penetrates that area. If it's still leaking after that then it's either the cab seam, windshield, or rear window.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As already mentioned, the leaky 3rd brake light seal seems to be a common problem. I've seen people post about it in here before.

The GPS antenna on the roof is another potential leak point.
Our Chevy trucks at work have had issues with that.

Couple of things to look at in any case.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He has a quad cab so I doubt a 3rd brake light leak would show only around the pull bar up by the A pillar.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
If it comes down to it, and you need to pull down the headliner, here is a video I put together for it. Also in the Gen 4 interior DYI forum, it has details at the A pillar, so perhaps it will give you some insight on your leak. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

EvanYJ350

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 CC Air Susp
Engine
6.4L 392 c.i.
I have just noticed water stains on my headliner at both rear pillar upper corners. Is that the brake light or do I have a roof seam leak ?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
He has a quad cab so I doubt a 3rd brake light leak would show only around the pull bar up by the A pillar.

That's my thought as well. Super unlikely water is going all the way over to that corner without having stains elsewhere.

My guess would be a poor windshield install or check the weatherstripping around the driver's side door.

FWIW, I just had a leak from the rear window of my 2017 Ram quad cab. Poor install of the aftermarket rear glass. I had my glass guy re-seal from the inside.

liftw8s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noticed about a month after buying 2015 Ram. Leak is identical on both sides. Same exact patter. Not happy. So does everyone think it is the third brake light seal? Thanks. leak.JPG

Chris Fraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just started noticing water coming from the rear roof corners, drivers side handle in front by the roof, and above the rear view mirror..only started recently and very random..2013 ram crew cab..antenna or brake light might be the issue? Shouldn’t this be covered for the life of my 55000 dollar truck? Fuming about this..

Rayzilla926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you solve the issue? My 2017 has the same thing. Definitely not happy.

Biggg Doggg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Had my 2014 roof liner water leak fixed by dealer where I bought it used. They had to pull the rear window out completely to reseal. That meant headliner out which meant windshield out. Finally fixed properly after months of dicking around trying to seal every stinking possible leak point.

The problem is right from factory when glass seals are not installed correctly. I have rarely found a Gen 4 that DOESN'T have a water stain back there somewhere. Utterly amazed how this problem has gone unresolved for do many years without a recall. Just glad the nightmare is finally over. Love the truck.