Westin HDX Drop Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Dang those look great! Wish I would of taken my time and searched on this thread before I got my NFab ones...[emoji856]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmemz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
how do you like them? I am undecided between these and the ici magnum rt ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how do you like them? I am undecided between these and the ici magnum rt ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I like the flow of the Westins better & the oversized steps for driver & front seat passenger.

Some people with the ICI Magnum RT's were also complaining about rust after one winter...so that got me worried since I'm in Ontario & we use a ton of rock salt & brine on the roads during winter.

I'm now almost through one winter with the Westins & they are rust free.

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Love em. I've heard of the ICIs rusting quickly. Also I've stood on a set and the flex pretty bad. The Westins are stout.

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Finally got those annoying rivnuts in! I was at that point where I brought it to a shop to have the rivnuts installed, but they didn't have the tool to do it. I used the method found on youtube where you use another nut to have the rivnut expand. I found installing the bracket and putting the rivnut in the hole where it is suppose to be installed, and then expanding the rivnut was MUCH easier. The rivnuts I bought from amazon (link in previous post) worked out just fine. Here is a pic of mine installed:

picture.php

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Boys, for anyone with the Westin HDX Drop Steps...have a look at the mounting screws/nuts for the actual step plate. There are three per step.

Mine got some rust over the winter despite me rust spraying them.

I contacted Westin & after sending them a picture of the rusting screw they sent me a new hardware kit.

This time the screws/nuts are stainless steel. The install instructions mention that the existing hardware was prone to rusting.

Attachments

• Screw.jpg
    Screw.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Boys, for anyone with the Westin HDX Drop Steps...have a look at the mounting screws/nuts for the actual step plate. There are three per step.

I contacted Westin & after sending them a picture of the rusting screw they sent me a new hardware kit.

This time the screws/nuts are stainless steel. The install instructions mention that the existing hardware was prone to rusting.

They must be aware of this problem because my steps came with a bag of stainless screws and a note saying these were replacements for the ones on the steps as they were prone to rusting.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They must be aware of this problem because my steps came with a bag of stainless screws and a note saying these were replacements for the ones on the steps as they were prone to rusting.

That's good that they're being proactive.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Good info! Thanks. I'll keep an eye on mine. No winter salt down here but we have the beach lol.

On another note, keep an eye on the 2 screws that go through the rocker panel on the front driver side. I had been noticing a little flex in my steps, which I didn't have at the beginning. The other day I crawled under and checked everything out and found out the nuts for those 2 screws had almost completely backed off. Added some blue loctite and torqued them back down. No more flex, but not good that they almost came off.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good info! Thanks. I'll keep an eye on mine. No winter salt down here but we have the beach lol.

On another note, keep an eye on the 2 screws that go through the rocker panel on the front driver side. I had been noticing a little flex in my steps, which I didn't have at the beginning. The other day I crawled under and checked everything out and found out the nuts for those 2 screws had almost completely backed off. Added some blue loctite and torqued them back down. No more flex, but not good that they almost came off.

Will have to check those bolts on mine. Thanks

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I mounted westin 7 inch boards on a 2017 ram. I tried both methods of installing the rivet nuts. The supplied nuts when used as the instructions laid out are a pita and the nut twisted after the nut started to compress. Using one of the methods found on utube, the factory rivets worked. Use an 8mm X1.25x40 bolt, a washer with the teeth(can't remember the name) a smooth washer and a jam nut. Insert the nut screwed on the 8x1.25 with a jam nut. Hold the bolt and turn the jam nut. The jam nut will collapse the rivet without turning it. It takes a couple of minutes with no problems. Very easy. Photos when I can take them.