What caused this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
A week ago I started my truck and now when ever it revs to over 2000 rpms it starts roaring making loud sound like it is sucking for air. It never did this before. It does it with or without the AC on, tranny in neutral or park. As soon as it shifts the engine is quiet again. The dealer has no idea what it is.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a cold air intake? If so this will be normal. If you have the factory air intake just check all of the connections. (Throttle body, hose going into air box, cap on air box, etc.). If any of these are loose it could be the culprit.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd bet money it's your fans going full tilt and a sensor is possibly out of sorts. Mine roar pretty good when I start it for the first time on a hot day then they shut up.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So only when in neutral and park when you rev it over 2000?
I'd guess its the fan clutch is engaging because you are not moving, therefore since you are revving the temp would be increasing, it would need more air to cool. Once you set off to drive it would not need the cooling, as when you are shifting, I'm assuming you are at idle rpm and not over 2000?