What to do w/ my Laramie grille?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About 4 months ago I plasti dipped the entire grille/inserts in attempt to colormatch, but ultimately ended up removing the dip since I didn't care for the flat black look even though I used glossifier to avoid this. I thought I would keep the grille completely chrome until I saw this badass '13+ Laramie in my apartment complex that had colormatched his black grille and left the inserts chrome which gave the truck a crazy good look.

I know there's a thread on how to remove the inserts, but what do y'all think I should do in attempt to replicate the look this guy had? I think the issue I had with the dip is that the weather was about 50-55 degrees which reduced the spray output unlike if I had waited for warmer weather to get the glossy look I wanted.

So what do y'all think I should do so I can get the gloss black grille look while keeping the honeycomb inserts chrome? Should I hit it again with plastidip since the weather is warm or should I have a shop either paint to match or even do a vinyl wrap? Or should I try and find a Sport grille and replace the inserts with my Laramie ones instead of painting the thing entirely?

I've attached a picture of a white Laramie that had a similar thing done to his so y'all can see what I'm referring to. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 11192734_820612691366671_597835011_n.jpg
    11192734_820612691366671_597835011_n.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 361

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
About 4 months ago I plasti dipped the entire grille/inserts in attempt to colormatch, but ultimately ended up removing the dip since I didn't care for the flat black look even though I used glossifier to avoid this. I thought I would keep the grille completely chrome until I saw this badass '13+ Laramie in my apartment complex that had colormatched his black grille and left the inserts chrome which gave the truck a crazy good look.

I know there's a thread on how to remove the inserts, but what do y'all think I should do in attempt to replicate the look this guy had? I think the issue I had with the dip is that the weather was about 50-55 degrees which reduced the spray output unlike if I had waited for warmer weather to get the glossy look I wanted.

So what do y'all think I should do so I can get the gloss black grille look while keeping the honeycomb inserts chrome? Should I hit it again with plastidip since the weather is warm or should I have a shop either paint to match or even do a vinyl wrap? Or should I try and find a Sport grille and replace the inserts with my Laramie ones instead of painting the thing entirely?

I've attached a picture of a white Laramie that had a similar thing done to his so y'all can see what I'm referring to. Thanks for the help!

You can't really get a gloss finish with plastidip. There have been people that clear coat plastidip but then it becomes an absolute nightmare to remove. Cheapest option is to go on Ebay and buy a $30 roll of gloss black vinyl and wrap the shell and crosshairs.

OP
OP
TXPudge1868

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't really get a gloss finish with plastidip. There have been people that clear coat plastidip but then it becomes an absolute nightmare to remove. Cheapest option is to go on Ebay and buy a $30 roll of gloss black vinyl and wrap the shell and crosshairs.

How difficult would that be? I'm assuming there's a bunch of how-to vids on youtube, but I've never done anything like that before.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The best option from a looks/durability standpoint is going to be a painted shell. I'd look around for a Sport grille that's the right color and then swap the inserts. If you're patient, that's probably going to be cheaper than getting one painted for you.

I agree with you on how good it looks. I originally wanted to replace my color matched surround with a chrome one and ended up with a complete Laramie grille. After I did the swap I wanted to, I hated it. Then I tried the Laramie inserts in the painted surround and fell in love with the look.

3fcc987f976cf9b7997f064c1e92a915.jpg

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How difficult would that be? I'm assuming there's a bunch of how-to vids on youtube, but I've never done anything like that before.

There is an art to it but it can be done. Youtube is very helpful. I'm not one to throw cash out the window but the way I look at it is if it doesn't work out there isn't much invested.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point on searching for a used, painted grille surround!
I put Laramie limited grille inserts in my sport grille and love it!

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 118

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I wanted the same look on my big horn, so I kept am eye out on craigslist for a tradesman grille and found one fairly quick for $100. Had it painted and reused the chrome inserts from the big horn grille. 7402d7dd45ee27b83b77881cc0d99870.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TXPudge1868

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted the same look on my big horn, so I kept am eye out on craigslist for a tradesman grille and found one fairly quick for $100. Had it painted and reused the chrome inserts from the big horn grille. 7402d7dd45ee27b83b77881cc0d99870.jpg

Do you remember how much you paid for the paint? I've been lurking on craigslist for months, but haven't found any black grilles in good shape. Wondering if I should just shell out the cash and get it painted now instead of endlessly waiting for a grille.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I was quoted $80 if I buy the paint but never priced the paint. I ended up getting lucky and a fellow firefighter is a painter and needed his siren hooked up so we traded.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Color matched looks amazing.

You CAN plastidip white and use pearl or glossifier for that shiny finish while still maintaining the ease and "peel-ability"....just throwin out options....and a little tip, you can put the cans in a bucket of hot water prior to spraying....helps immensely with evenly spraying the dip.

But if you really like the look...then paint for sure.

rowewor

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am reading all these replies about it cant be done by using plastidip. Of course it can and even better. I painted my white grille a glossy black and looks amazing and everyone that has seen it always say they cannot tell it was done with spray paint. Materials you will need is VHT primer, VHT high gloss paint (black in this case) and VHT high gloss clear coat and man you are set! The inserts are very easy to take off, just take the grille out and you will see the inserts are bracketed onto the outer shell. A flat had screw driver will do. Here is a post of my custom grille:

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/t-rex_zroadz_series_20_led_light_bar_installed-100627/#post1484980

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am reading all these replies about it cant be done by using plastidip. Of course it can and even better. I painted my white grille a glossy black and looks amazing and everyone that has seen it always say they cannot tell it was done with spray paint. Materials you will need is VHT primer, VHT high gloss paint (black in this case) and VHT high gloss clear coat and man you are set! The inserts are very easy to take off, just take the grille out and you will see the inserts are bracketed onto the outer shell. A flat had screw driver will do. Here is a post of my custom grille:

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/t-rex_zroadz_series_20_led_light_bar_installed-100627/#post1484980

Plastidip is something different than high gloss spray paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rowewor

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Though that is true VHT is a plastidip type spray paint. You obviously have never heard of or used VHT. Great product.

OP
OP
TXPudge1868

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the input!!

I completely forgot that I started this thread as I was about to start a brand new one haha. So do y'all think my grille came out with a matte look since I started this in the afternoon (55ish degree weather) and didn't have time to let it cure in the sun before applying the glossifier? I'm really starting to hate all this damn chrome, and after seeing all the posts and YouTube videos of other guys having success w/ the glossifier, I think I'm going to give it another shot next weekend but with A LOT more patience.

Also, does anyone know if the chrome on the mirrors are just chrome caps? I tried searching on multiple forums but couldn't find a consensus answer other than guys complaining about the chrome itself lol. And I'd much rather be able to remove the caps instead of plasti dipping the mirrors too.

OP
OP
TXPudge1868

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Damn that glossy grille surround looks perfect!!! Did you find any tips on how to use the VHT paint and gloss? I honestly may go this route since that's exactly how I want my grille to look. Thanks for the info on the inserts too btw.