What max tire width can I use with 20" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevewendlandt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have a 2012 1500, reg cab, shortbox (see pics). It has low miles (32k) and has the original tires. I plan on new tires this spring but want to buy now.

I want a wider tire but not taller...how wide can I go? It has the Wrangler P275-60R20 on the stock wheel now, I do not plan on changing from the stock wheel. I do not off-road, it is a daily driver (Minnesota), I pull a 24 ft. camper occasionally. The current tire is noisy but not obnoxious, they are "cupping" on the outside edge. They have been rotated, aligned and Road Force balance since I purchased the truck in May, 2015. The damage to the tires was done prior to me owning it.

Again, I want wider but not taller on the stock wheel. I don't need an aggressive off-road tire. More important to me is the ride, handling and a little wider passenger type tire.

Any issues with this model to be concerned with? It has the 5.7L Hemi and is a 4X4. I see lots of data here but nothing that says exactly what I need to know. Thank-you!!!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 295-60-20's on my stock 20" chrome clads without any trouble.

OP
OP
S

stevewendlandt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Thank-you, that helps....may I ask what tire you chose?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd verify the wheel width on your truck. The OEM 20" wheels were produced in 8" and 9" wide variants. I'm not sure which is which as far as looking at the wheel face to identify them.

An 8" wheel width will limit you some on how wide you can go.

OP
OP
S

stevewendlandt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
The stock 20" wheel I have is the 9" width. Is the max width still 295? Any using wider than that successfully with no issues?

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Each tire manufacturer list their approved wheel width for each individual tire size. You should stay close to this. Usually running a tire on a wheel that is too narrow can cause the center portion of the tread to crown and wear slightly faster than normal. I ran my last set of tires on a wheel that was one inch narrower than recommended and had perfect treadwear when I removed them at 35k miles. Currently I'm running a tire on a wheel that is an inch wider than recommended, which I've done before with no issues. Just don't go crazy like some of these guys putting 12.50 inch (305mm) wide tires on 14 inch wide wheels and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963