What is with the paint chipping on my 2017 ram?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rumors were that the Warren plant was suppose to build a new paint "facility" a couple of years ago. If it happened, they must have forgot to tell the robots they needed to do a better job. Crap in the paint is one thing but all the complaints about "orange peel" is another problem not associated with crap floating around in the air. IMHO they're trying to save money and they are producing a **** paint job--in a lot of cases. Some members say their paint jobs look just great, I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Jay

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rumors were that the Warren plant was suppose to build a new paint "facility" a couple of years ago. If it happened, they must have forgot to tell the robots they needed to do a better job. Crap in the paint is one thing but all the complaints about "orange peel" is another problem not associated with crap floating around in the air. IMHO they're trying to save money and they are producing a **** paint job--in a lot of cases. Some members say their paint jobs look just great, I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Jay

Well mine looked good until I had to drive it and looks like I drove through gravel pits at 100mph

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well update this morning... the dealer sent the photos to corporate asking if there were any problems with the PL4 paint. They answered back this is normal wear and tear and not covered by a warranty. Very copy/paste. So now I'm reaching back out to FCA customer care to see what to do next. I don't think they understand just how bad the truck paint is getting. Anyone that has seen this in person agrees this is definitely not normal. I also told my salesman that he should start talking to his boss and looking for a new truck just in case.

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK here are some new photos and I circled pits in the clear and paint chips. So... normal for a babied city driven truck with 5000 miles on it and 4 months old?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh man that's rough.... Now I'm paranoid about mine.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Definitely gonna check mine closely, mine was manufactured in the warren plant as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This makes me want to park mine and get a beater, so the truck stays pristine! lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ You better check it out now--you could have 0 miles on it and it may not be "pristine". Every day use of your truck can and will product nicks and rock chips just by using the truck, but most of these examples that the OP has pointed out indicate just a ****** paint job to begin with. This comment is not aimed at the OP or anyone else in particular, however this whole post is just a reminder to us all that you have to check your truck out with a fine tooth comb BEFORE delivery. It doesn't make any difference if it is in the snow, rain or shine or the middle of the night. Once you drive it away---basically, it's yours, and the support you will get from the factory is hit or miss at best!
Jay

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Noticed some of the paint on the door handles of my new truck is pretty thin.

This is nothing new with FCA vehicles. I have a '12 Wrangler Rubicon in Crush Orange. The paint on it is really thin around the hood hinges and cowl where the wipers are. So thin you can see the primer.

****** ****** FCA paint. My friend had his hellcat Charger repainted because it was so badly orange peeled it looks like absolutely ****. They tried flat blocking it smooth but the clear was so thin they wet sanded through it in numerous spots.

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^ You better check it out now--you could have 0 miles on it and it may not be "pristine". Every day use of your truck can and will product nicks and rock chips just by using the truck, but most of these examples that the OP has pointed out indicate just a ****** paint job to begin with. This comment is not aimed at the OP or anyone else in particular, however this whole post is just a reminder to us all that you have to check your truck out with a fine tooth comb BEFORE delivery. It doesn't make any difference if it is in the snow, rain or shine or the middle of the night. Once you drive it away---basically, it's yours, and the support you will get from the factory is hit or miss at best!
Jay

You're right on the money Jay, and I most definitely did inspect every square millimeter of the truck before accepting it. Just didn't know it would go to sh*t so quick :roflsquared:

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I just did a good wash on my truck today and a thorough once over. found quite a few little bubbles that I never found when accepting it. A few chips low near the nerf bars probably from rocks nothing yet on the bumper, grill or hood

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dan B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2019 Ram is also chipping. I have two chips that reveal bare metal. Both on the drivers side, one in the middle of the fender, the other behind the rear wheel. They are both probably 1/4" accross.

brad325is

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You keep going and your truck is gonna look like it has a bad case of acne