Wheel Flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamm999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone bought and installed any of the aftermarket wheel flares on e-bay ? They look pretty nice in the pictures and the price is right (around $150) shipped. How close to the factory flares are they? Also if someone has them did you add the molded flaps that are for the factory flares ?

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump.

I'm interested in these as well. I think black flares would look good with the black step bars, mirrors, and door handles on my express.

Soundwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked into them for a while and even spoke with one of the vendors on eBay. They seem just fine, you just have to make sure you get the size you want. Most of the stock pictures are the same, but they make an OE flare that ranges from .5"-2" of coverage. What I found is that the stock size is .5", but I could never confirm that for sure. In the end I just ordered the OE Mopar ones...it was just $150 more and I knew exactly what I was getting. What I didn't look into with the Mopar flares though, was the they ALL come in mineral grey. I planned on painting them anyway, but it cost me a few extra cause they were already painted. They fit like a charm though with great instructions. So pros and cons to both I suppose.

OP
OP
J

jamm999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Soundwave: are you talking about the additional coverage the lip provides? (where it connects to the wheel well) or the height of the flare from the lip ? What are the overall factory flare dimentions? Width x height Also Where did you end up getting the OEM ones?

Last edited:

Soundwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just measured it roughly. It looks like the fenders go 4" up (height) on the body and 1" out (length) from the body. So if you go 2" it'll stick out twice as much as the stock one I guess. A lot of the 1500 flares on ebay just say "fits like OEM". My fear was buying something that appeared aftermarket. I bought my flares from moparsupercenter.com. The shipping is $13 or something. On another site the shipping was $50 or so...made it a no brainer.

Wheel Flares, Ram 1500 2009-11

Here they are on the truck...
photo2_zps24cea707.jpg

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if anyone still has interest, but I ordered a set of "ebay flares" last week. Hopefully will be in this week for me to install and review. For $145 shipped, it was hard to pass it up. I just hope the quality is ok.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need a lot more than 'ok' quality to go on my baby.
I'm in for a full review (hopefully)

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do. I'm with you on treating my baby right, but I'm willing to take a chance on certain mods. If they don't fit right, I can return them without hassle. I hope they work :)

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
I have a 2001 ram 4x4 and i bought these flairs off e bay [probly same manufacturer] this is my review. They are affordable and fit pretty good [i did not have to trim or nothing] however they are flimsey till mounted [not as thick of material as bushwacker] and the clips that came with them were good however they did not secure the flairs satisfactory for my tastes [some did not even clip on/hold like they were suppose to] my installation was to toss the hardware that came with them and screw them to the fender lip [my basic reason to install them was to cover the rust coming back out on my fender lips-was a northern truck] im happy with them they serve the reason i installed them for [plus i'm a cheap ass] 500 bucks to cover rusty lips is too expensive for me.They are massive but i think they look cool i like the klunkey mechanical look of them [now i gotta get bigger tires. I recomend them as an alternative,but i would not put them on a newer truck [the way i rigged them on] here's the link Pocket Style Fender Flares Dodge RAM 1500 02 08 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 | eBay

Attachments

• 102_2682.jpg
    102_2682.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 102_2681.jpg
    102_2681.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 102_2678.jpg
    102_2678.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 93

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do they make flares that you dont have to modify the fender or drill into em, cause i thought about getting a set but i really dont wanna damage my fenders

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
The ones that i have came with clips that just hooked to the lip on the underside and screws with nut plates that use existing holes. My truck is used and may have some issues which is why the clips did not work correctly. I'm thinking that most flairs are the clip/screw type so that you can remove them with out damage!!!

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you plan on having them painted, use caution. Cheaper plastic will cause the paint to crack even with a **** ton of flexicoat. I ordered the OEM take offs off of eBay and I was pretty impressed. On my old truck I ordered the cheap ones and learned the hard way. Just some info for ya. BTW, factor in paint costs if you're going to have them painted.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the heads up. :) I will be keeping my flares raw/flat black. I like the contrast. As far as mounting is concerned, these are suppose to be factory identical replicas. So they mount the same way as the 2500 OE flares.

raptor1797

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get those suckers on mojoe and post up some picks and give us your take.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah yes :) just installed my eBay flares yesterday. I will start a build thread soon with pics. Here's a quick and dirty.

Pros: cost, material quality (very durable and pliable), decent fitment, packaging

Cons: no pre-drilled holes, takes about 30-45 minutes per flare to get it right, need a heat gun, minor imperfections around where flare meets body (QC issues), not US made (Malaysia)

The flares I purchased were shipped in about a week. Packaging was good. They come with a 3M style tape already installed, a large bag of self-tapping screws, and a very sad excuse for instructions.

I wasn't going to drill additional holes in my wheel wells, so I used all the factory 8mm screws. Lining them up and marking the holes takes the most time. I also had to file the lip down in places where it met the body, it was wavy in a few spots. The heat gun helped the front flares tuck up tight to the headlights/body

If I were on a tight budget and had some time, I would do these again. But my overall recommendation would be to purchase OEM New or Takeoff flares. I will be replacing these in the future with Bushwackers when I switch out my wheels and tires.

Sent from my happy place...

Last edited:

naturecannon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But my overall recommendation would be to purchase OEM New or Takeoff flares. I will be replacing these in the future with Bushwackers when I switch out my wheels and tires.

Sent from my happy place...

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info and saving me time and heartache in the future.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you want colored matched the guy that is selling take off on ebay is the way to go.

OP
OP
J

jamm999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also bought the ones off e-bay for $149. I have painted them but have yet to put them on. As soon as I install them I'll post the results.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45