Wheels, powder coat or paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I plasti dipped my Sport wheels black and they look good but the outer edge is not sticking too well.

Rather just paint or powder coat them. But uncertain about the pros and cons.

I hear powder coating requires baking the wheels and the heating up can result in weaker wheels.

So I consider painting them but no one I have called in Savannah paints wheels. They say they can not guarantee the work. Which translates to painting them does not hold up.

I have heard there are good epoxy paint that will work well but have not found anyone local that is familiar.

So I am eager to hear about any wheel painting vs powder coating anyone cares to share. Thanks

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powder coating is the only way to go, that's what everyone does anymore and I've never hear that is weakens the wheel.... I'd think if that was true then no powder coating company would risk the liability.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Yes powder coating requires baking the wheels. No, this does not weaken the wheels. Paint will work, but if you want them to hold up, powder coating is the way to go

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The baking of the wheels in the powdercoat curing processe isn't hot enough to damage the molecular structure of steel or aluminum wheels.

Powdercoating is the way to go. It's much more durable than a sprayed on coating, especially if you add a coat or two of clear on top of the color.