When Do You Guys Use Your Lightbar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious because I had a weird experience just happen. I installed my lightbar about a month ago feeling I would utilize it when I go to the beach at night but loving the look of the lightbar in the sport bumper. I would never consider driving with it on just because it's night time or just because it looks cool.

I used it twice so far, when we had a snow storm and no one was on the road and this morning coming home from work and the fog was so thick you couldn't see two car lengths ahead of you. It was early in the morning so there wasn't a lot of cars on the road and I was in the left lane with no cars in front of me. I passed 2 highway cop cars not paying me any mind as I passed them

All of a sudden I had a vehicle cut right in front of me out of the right lane and then slowing down and flicking some bright light coming from his license plate area trying to blind me. He then slammed on his brake trying to get me to rear end him. This light was designed specifically to blind someone that was tailgating him which I was not. He then kept flickering his light off and on and kept slamming on his brake. My road rage did kick in and my coworker told me to hold back don't engage but I couldn't resist at the time.

I proceeded to go into the HOV lane from the left lane to pass him and he then blatantly cuts me off so I couldn't go in front of him. I was then going to go to the right but a car was near me so I didn't want to cause any type of accident because of my rage. Of course my coworker kept saying it's not worth it leave it alone after seeing my face. When my exit came up it kept a lot from me to keep going and following him but I didn't want to get my coworker involved.

I just want to reiterate if there was no fog this thick my light bar would not have been on and I do not use it because it looks cool.

Just curious has anyone ever experienced something like this

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you didn't blind anyone, sounds like you just found that one *******....

I use mine all the time. They're wired into my high beams In fact so almost every time I have my high beams on, they are on. That said, traffic in Alaska is pretty sparse and I'm very cognizant of turning them off well in advance when overtaking and with oncoming traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Is your bar in the bumper or overhead? Just an FYI, light bar are no bueno... you're just blinding yourself. There are asses out there like that that seek out individuals, I have a serious problem with people running their hi-beams all the time. I don't see many running their light bar, but these people that buy these trucks and lift them never adjust their headlights after the lift so they don't blind people. I had some twit pull over and cut me off then slow down, she brake checked me and I flipped my hi-beams on and my overhead and backed off where they were right in her mirrors. Made her turn off where she didn't want to and I kept going and shut it down.

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I would think and led regular light bar would be horrible in fog? Is it an amber light bar? In Ca led light bars are illegals on any public roads. So 98% of them and including the one I plan on installing just looks cool on the rig. Lol. I think you just found that one *****!!

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you didn't blind anyone, sounds like you just found that one *******....

I use mine all the time. They're wired into my high beams In fact so almost every time I have my high beams on, they are on. That said, traffic in Alaska is pretty sparse and I'm very cognizant of turning them off well in advance when overtaking and with oncoming traffic.

I'm sure I didn't blind anyone so I think I found that one *******. I have never seen a blinding light coming out of the license plate area

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your bar in the bumper or overhead? Just an FYI, light bar are no bueno... you're just blinding yourself. There are asses out there like that that seek out individuals, I have a serious problem with people running their hi-beams all the time. I don't see many running their light bar, but these people that buy these trucks and lift them never adjust their headlights after the lift so they don't blind people. I had some twit pull over and cut me off then slow down, she brake checked me and I flipped my hi-beams on and my overhead and backed off where they were right in her mirrors. Made her turn off where she didn't want to and I kept going and shut it down.

My bar is in my bumper. I'm not lifted I'm stock height. I just finished telling my coworker being it was so foggy I don't think it should be an issue then BAM here he comes

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only sometimes when driving to work in middle of the night for snow removal or on occasion late night pine land driving for deer.

Last edited:

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't have one on my new truck cause its near impossible to find a mounting location with these new chrome bumpers but I used it a lot on my old truck driving on the back country roads on early mornings on my way to my hunting spot. I also duck hunt a ton of farm ponds so it's nice to pull up to the edge of the pond turn on my light bar so I can see the entire spread of decoys I'm setting out.

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think and led regular light bar would be horrible in fog? Is it an amber light bar? In Ca led light bars are illegals on any public roads. So 98% of them and including the one I plan on installing just looks cool on the rig. Lol. I think you just found that one *****!!

Yeah I didn't find it to help that much for visibility. I had an amber light bar but it was straight so I decided on a curved light bar for my sport bumper. I will not be using my light bar for inclement weather anymore just offroading

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have one on my new truck cause its near impossible to find a mounting location with these new chrome bumpers but I used it a lot on my old truck driving on the back country roads on early mornings on my way to my hunting spot. I also duck hunt a ton of farm ponds so it's nice to pull up to the edge of the pond turn on my light bar so I can see the entire spread of decoys I'm setting out.

You have a beautiful truck. Can't wait to see your leds

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel

Which model do you have and do you have factory tow hooks? I have the ram 2500 and bought from a forum member here the front bumper light bar brackets. It will accommodate a 30" curved light bar using the tow hooks without modifying the hooks for the bracket support. Just received the brackets last week and planning on getting the light bar soon. He makes them and sells them. They are nicely made.

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Which model do you have and do you have factory tow hooks? I have the ram 2500 and bought from a forum member here the front bumper light bar brackets. It will accommodate a 30" curved light bar using the tow hooks without modifying the hooks for the bracket support. Just received the brackets last week and planning on getting the light bar soon.

You can see it in my signature. It's the 1500 with the tow hook cut outs and the chrome filler piece between them. I've been thinking of ways to mount to the top of the bumper fascia without having to drill into the bumper. Thinking about a custom bracket or something.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used only offroad....there's quite a bit of light where I drive frequently so the lightbar isn't needed all that often.

But like the saying goes.....better to have it and not need it......than to...

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've found that by responding with road rage gets you no where and just puts everyone else in harms way so instead I call the cops when ppl act like this. Especially with that "purposely placed light" to blind you he could've gotten a ticket. There's no reason for ppl to act that way.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
this is why i skipped the light bar and went with dual hella driving lights.i have my beam points adjusted to not blind oncoming traffic but i can still see a long distance down the road,and i can turn them out when i'm driving back country .and as we all know ram headlights suck hard.i don't see any point in front floods for city driving.however,my rear floods will make someone back the **** off really quick.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Which model do you have and do you have factory tow hooks? I have the ram 2500 and bought from a forum member here the front bumper light bar brackets. It will accommodate a 30" curved light bar using the tow hooks without modifying the hooks for the bracket support. Just received the brackets last week and planning on getting the light bar soon. He makes them and sells them. They are nicely made.

Tow hooks?!?! TOW HOOKS!?!? You're talking about tow hooks?!?

The answer is always behind the grill.

And yes, some ambers for fog....