When Do You Guys Use Your Lightbar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.2L
I drive mostly rural roads at night (2nd shift) so any lighting help I can get I take. Of course I shut it off for on-coming traffic but if the roads are clear it's on. I also have one of these on my C1500 and my commuter Nissan Versa.
16939196_10158393113505694_7903159165385687132_n.jpg

16939348_10158393112855694_3631683148254974488_n.jpg

I also plan on adding a smaller unit as a reverse light.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like Monkey said, call the cops. Get his plate and clearly describe the fact he was intentionally trying to get you to rear end him. **** these entitled ********** who want to act like they can do whatever they want just because they know they wont be held accountable for their actions. Driving is a privilege. Don't endanger other drivers just because you want to be a ****.

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In this day and age I wished I recorded his actions with my phone so I would have gotten his plate and the proof of him slamming on his brakes to cause an accident. Unfortunately I almost stooped to his level so getting the cops involved didn't cross my mind.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In this day and age I wished I recorded his actions with my phone so I would have gotten his plate and the proof of him slamming on his brakes to cause an accident. Unfortunately I almost stooped to his level so getting the cops involved didn't cross my mind.

It's one of the biggest reasons I've been considering a dash cam lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's one of the biggest reasons I've been considering a dash cam lately.

$150 isn't that bad. Just do it. The number of things I record with mine every week make it worth it. Since I've had mine, I've handed over video footage of a couple accidents and one *possible* car jacking.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$150 isn't that bad. Just do it. The number of things I record with mine every week make it worth it. Since I've had mine, I've handed over video footage of a couple accidents and one *possible* car jacking.

Which one do you have? And would you recommend it?

Also.... Pics or it didn't happen lol

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which one do you have? And would you recommend it?

Also.... Pics or it didn't happen lol

I've got the Rexing S300, but any of the Rexing models are good. Supposedly, there is a "remote rear cam" option for a couple of the models, but no one knows how/where to find it (even the manufacturer).

As for the last part, they removed the files from the cam citing "active investigation" and even though I am the owner of the footage, the footage had to be confiscated to retain disclosure on the case.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
If you are throwing a lot of light into fog or snow when other people are on the road you are likely creating a situation others are not gonna like.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are throwing a lot of light into fog or snow when other people are on the road you are likely creating a situation others are not gonna like.

I find in fog / snow mine glares too much to be used ( like having high beams on ) but if the air is clear, it's great.

Ram1X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, you don't want more light when in fog. Factory fog lights are positioned lower and are dimmer for a reason. That said, this guy clearly had a pet peeve with bright lights to the point that he spent time and money on a counter attack. I can only imagine how bright a light bar would be in my rear view mirror if the rear window weren't tinted. That would suck bad.

I think a good rule of thumb would be to never use it on a public road. There's really no advantage to it aside from maybe seeing further up the road if you're speeding excessively and want to avoid hitting objects in the roadway.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The spread on my curved bad allows deer in the ditch to be seen.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, you don't want more light when in fog. Factory fog lights are positioned lower and are dimmer for a reason. That said, this guy clearly had a pet peeve with bright lights to the point that he spent time and money on a counter attack. I can only imagine how bright a light bar would be in my rear view mirror if the rear window weren't tinted. That would suck bad.

I think a good rule of thumb would be to never use it on a public road. There's really no advantage to it aside from maybe seeing further up the road if you're speeding excessively and want to avoid hitting objects in the roadway.

Because nobody would want to see further up the road or avoid hitting objects in the roadway?

Used responsibly they are fine. If you need "responsibly" defined, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Because nobody would want to see further up the road or avoid hitting objects in the roadway?

Used responsibly they are fine. If you need "responsibly" defined, you probably shouldn't be driving.

I agree that there are many times on road where it may be unlawful but incredibly useful to activate auxiliary lighting. Lots of roads I drive I won't see another vehicle for hours and there are lots of nocturnal animals and whatever the on road equivalent of flotsam jetsam and lagan is that winds and red necks deposit on the roads.

However I think the majority of people driving need terms like responsibly defined since they don't think of life that way, lack the practical experience, or lack the ability to be objective and self critical.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hate to be this guy but in this case you didnt find the one *******, that was you. He was simply trying to get you to shut off your damn light bar. Calling the cops as someone mentioned would likely result in a fine for yourself. Im not anti-lightbar. Had one on last 3 trucks including current one. I use it alot but shut it off the second i see headlights or tailights no matter how far away. Also never use it in fog or heavy snow as it just worsens visibility. Again not trying to come off as an ass but you left your light bar on and wondered why the guy who ended up in front of you was freaking out and flashing you with brake lights and back lights.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now I get it. I'm not going to lie I got over zealous getting a new light bar put in and tried to find any excuse I could to use it. I will NOT use it NOW when I'm on a highway with other vehicles or even with inclement weather. I use it for the beach at night and on dimly lit roads and the second I see headlights I shut it off. So yes I can admit fault for me having it on. What pissed me off was this guy went out of his way to get me to rear end him or cause me to get into an accident. I was not tailgating him or blinding him on purpose he came from another lane to make his presence known. When I shut it off and tried to go around him he kept cutting me off and like I said if my coworker wasn't there I would have become more aggressive.

Fortunately I have learned from this and didn't let my ego get the best of me so now I can enjoy the lightbar when I go offroad. Thanks to all for the feedback

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Now I get it. I'm not going to lie I got over zealous getting a new light bar put in and tried to find any excuse I could to use it. I will NOT use it NOW when I'm on a highway with other vehicles or even with inclement weather. I use it for the beach at night and on dimly lit roads and the second I see headlights I shut it off. So yes I can admit fault for me having it on. What pissed me off was this guy went out of his way to get me to rear end him or cause me to get into an accident. I was not tailgating him or blinding him on purpose he came from another lane to make his presence known. When I shut it off and tried to go around him he kept cutting me off and like I said if my coworker wasn't there I would have become more aggressive.

Fortunately I have learned from this and didn't let my ego get the best of me so now I can enjoy the lightbar when I go offroad. Thanks to all for the feedback
You hadnt mentioned that you did end up shutting the light off. His actions after you shut the light off were definately uncalled for.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Bo Daggart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2016 sport with a lightbar in the bumper. I use it anytime I would use my brights. Stock headlights are garbage in my opinion. Plus it's a spot/flood combo so I get plenty of light in the fields so I can easily see deer.

I have a dashcam. As much as we all have spent on our trucks, a $150 - $200 dashcam is just added insurance. I'm planning on buying another one for the back window. They make them so they start recording as soon as you turn on the vehicle. Set it up and forget it till something happens.
Mine has GPS location, GPS speedometer, and time stamp. Usable in court if needed.

Last edited:

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I did a little googling for the TX laws governing lights to see when lightbar use was permitted. My search was very brief as I had to go somewhere shortly, and I was simply killing time.

I did not find lightbars specifically mentioned, but I did find something regarding auxiliary lights used with low beams only. If I understood correctly, it seems you can use additional lights as long as they are below a certain height, and aimed away from incoming traffic (at a specific angle). I did not find anything regarding use with high beams. Disclaimer: I do not know if this is accurate or interpreted correctly since I only spent a few minutes looking.

I was curios if anyone else has looked into lightbar laws?

Do most of you guys have your lightbars set up for use with lowbeams, or do you use a switch specifically for the lightbar. I am looking at a two switch setup that will allow use with fog lights on, or on all the time.

Thanks for feedback.

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
All of a sudden I had a vehicle cut right in front of me out of the right lane and then slowing down and flicking some bright light coming from his license plate area trying to blind me.

More than likely, that 'flickering bright light' was YOUR light bar reflecting off his chrome license plate frame.

Pretty F'in bright, wasn't it?