Who has done a HID conversion to a 2015? Diode Dynamics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brianjonesphoto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Turbo Diesel
I need some input on HID choices for a 2015 1500. I actually ordered lows and fogs from JJ at the retroshop, but I had him put a hold on the order because I found another vender Diode Dynamics selling plug and play CANBUS systems for the 2015.

JJ has been great and I have no doubt his products are of high quality and well supported. In fact if he offered this sort of setup I wouldn't even be questioning it.

I do have a hard time with installing ballast resisters to create 220 watts of heat simply to fool the CANBUS into thinking it has filament headlights installed, then adding another 140watts of HID load. I know that the electrical system can handle the extra power, but It just doesn't make sense.

Have any of you used the Diode Dynamics system on a 2015? Did it work as advertised?

thanks

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO, go with the one that has been tested and confirmed to work with our trucks. I ran HID's from another vendor for years without problem but I could not for the life of me get them to work with the Ram canbus system. I tried every trick there was and ended up spending double (with half of it going to a setup that never worked).

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
JJ works pretty closely with Diode Dynamics, they are literally down the road from RS (from what I've been told). Have you spoken to him about what DD is selling?

OP
OP
B

Brianjonesphoto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Turbo Diesel
JJ works pretty closely with Diode Dynamics, they are literally down the road from RS (from what I've been told). Have you spoken to him about what DD is selling?

I have and I asked DD about his concerns.

After not finding a single independent review or forum post about the can adapters I decided do do it the hard way and will be getting Los and fogs from JJ.

Typos and nonsensical words courtesy of fat fingers on a make believe keyboard.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I love the idea behind their new canbus stuff.....and when it originally was offered......I ordered an obscene amount of them. ;)

Testing on the 15s though....well, didn't work how I wanted them to (lights turned off, etc), so......I withdrew on that idea.

I love me some Diode Dynamics......****, yes - they are RIGHT down the street. I do work for them and with them ALL the time (just did the FIRST Charger Hellcat RGBW DRL board replacement for them this week!) - but....this one......well, lets just say - if it worked, would I have this huge harness on these 15s? Hell......to......the.......no. ;)

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reviving an old thread.

Is this still the case with the setup from DD? They are selling them as plug-n-play with thier special anti-flicker module....no massive wiring harness needed. Did they redesign this since 2015? There are reviews with 2015 and 2016 installation without any issues. I'm just confused and would like someone in the know to explain. Thanks!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have the diode dynamic canbus adapters on my led's in my fogs and on my hid's' in my low beams for my projectors. I have had no issues with flickering or lights going out. For reference my truck is a 2016, I got them from Jeremy at Retroshop

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Yeah, figured we'd test again with Butch......had some ones early on that they just didn't play well with...but seems to be great on Butch's truck!

We can certainly set anyone up with the goodies too!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
just want to add the diode dynamic canbus adapters only work with 35 watt ballasts, so if you want to use 55 watt you will need the full harness that Retroshop sells

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just want to add the diode dynamic canbus adapters only work with 35 watt ballasts, so if you want to use 55 watt you will need the full harness that Retroshop sells

thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to stick with 35watt this time. I had the 55watt on my 14 Sport for about 2yrs without issue though.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ddm canbus+ kit in my 2016, works great