Winter tire size for 2018 Ram 1500 Night Edition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

I'm about a week away from receiving my 2018 Ram 1500 Night Edition and it won't be long before the snow flies up here in Ontario, Canada. I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on tire/rim sizes for my truck?

The truck comes with 275/60R20 all-season tires. I had heard that for winter tires, one should go down to a 17" or 16" rim? Thoughts? Should I keep it at 20"? The truck isn't lifted/leveled yet, so my worry is that if I go with smaller rims/tires, that the front of my truck will inevitably get caught on a snow-drift and tear. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks,
Yak

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you often punch through snow berms or snow drifts? Do you like to play in the snow? Any offroad at all?? If yes to any of the above- start looking at lvl kits. Also the stock tires are **** in the snow. You can prolly get through one winter in them, but they may really **** you off and you may switch them out. I am a cooper fan, but any of the name brand tires are leaps and bounds better than the stock tires u get with the truck. IMO the 20”s look good on our 4th gens

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, not looking to do any playing in the snow - sometimes the plows don't come around for a day and I'm just nervous about clearance. My current Ford Fusion has a bumper that was ripped at some point due to parking near a snow bank.

Ok, so staying with 20" rims is the way to go for the winter tires? I'll definitely not be keeping the stock tires on for winter...have ended up in too many skid situations with all-seasons in the past.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would run the a good all terrain year round. But that’s me. If you want to run different tires- look for a stock set of take offs locally and throw a set of winter tires on them.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You shouldn’t have any change in clearance going to 17” rims as long as you keep a 33” tire like a 275/75/17

Edit:

Forgot to note that I agree. 20” looks better on these trucks as 17 rims look like baby tires and steel rims look like **** but are cheap if you rash them. But let’s pray you don’t do that in a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk