Wrong tire size installed cannot believe it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I have a posting titled 295-60-20 or 295-65-20 cooper sst pros. So in the posting I clearly stated I went with the 65s. they were installed 2 days ago.Just stopped for gas and low and be hold 295-60-20s. So I just called them and they are switching them out Monday,but while I have the 60s are they a good gauge if the 65s will rub? the difference is 60s are 11.5 and 65s are 11.7 .2 difference. height is the big one 65s are 1.14 higher. Can I fully turn and look at clearance now and see if .2 difference works. Truck is a 2016 1500 qu with 8" oem rims.let me no your thoughts. where would I be looking as far as what clear what at full lock turn? thanks again just cannot believe it

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
But didn't you say the tires were mounted and you couldn't be happier? Even though they are not the size you thought, you really liked it. Why switch and possibly have rubbing or not like it as much?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
But didn't you say the tires were mounted and you couldn't be happier? Even though they are not the size you thought, you really liked it. Why switch and possibly have rubbing or not like it as much?

+1. Sometimes the best things that happen to us are accidents. If you are happy, thats what matters. Make sure that this size isn't cheaper than the larger size (if it is, and you paid for the larger ones, make sure you get the price difference back).

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Remember they are only in reality 1/2 the height difference. Meaning 1/2 of that "1.14" is below the axle and half is above, so only .57" difference that can rub. .2" is slightly more than 1/8" also can be split so 1/16+" is on the inside and the other is on the outside of the rim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if you are leveled or lifted or not. I'm running 285/65r20 on stock 20x8 wheels... my front is leveled at 2.1"..... no issues

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am 2.1 leveled and I really do like the way the truck sits right now and I am also a true believer in things happening for a reason. The difference in cost is about $40 more I already have payed for 65s. They will not refund me that they will only switch them out. Know I am not that cheap and have no problem eating the $40 if I am happy with the truck. But as sbarron stated the increased size is very minimal overall. I just get hung up on right being right. I think the only thing that would change if I switch is jumping a touch higher to get in it. which I love by the way. and I touch more tread outside fender is the look I like. Anyway kind of a crazy problem,but I have two more days to make my mind up. thanks for all the helpfull insight it helps alot.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Yea that's weird that they won't give you the difference in money back. Did you post pics with the current ones?

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is strange they would think just refund you the difference and instead go through the labor and now have a set of used tires laying around.

That difference is minimal, but I also believe in getting what you paid for. And a half an inch can be noticeable I think. If it were me, I'd just push hard for the refund and layout the reason I mentioned, but if not, get the tires you paid for.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Did you ask them to just give you a credit towards future needs instead of a refund? They have zero ground to stand on for charging you for something you didn't get but rather than burn a bridge for $40 they might be open towards a credit knowing it means you'll come back for more in the future.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the tires a 1.14 inches taller, realize that it is only half that height from the center of the tire to the outside edge. So, when you make any turns, the tread of the tire will be .57 inches closer to your fender.
I would guess that you could measure your current tires at different points in a turn and see if the tread is less than about a 1/2 inch closer to the fender...if the clearance is less that 1/2 inch, you will be rubbing.

Schmittj22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am 2.1 leveled and I really do like the way the truck sits right now and I am also a true believer in things happening for a reason. The difference in cost is about $40 more I already have payed for 65s. They will not refund me that they will only switch them out. Know I am not that cheap and have no problem eating the $40 if I am happy with the truck. But as sbarron stated the increased size is very minimal overall. I just get hung up on right being right. I think the only thing that would change if I switch is jumping a touch higher to get in it. which I love by the way. and I touch more tread outside fender is the look I like. Anyway kind of a crazy problem,but I have two more days to make my mind up. thanks for all the helpfull insight it helps alot.

Honesty if they are are going to be a$$hole about $40. Id have them switch them out. Have them waste time and money on mounting and balancing. Then take ur business somewhere else.

Where r u locAted? I have toyo at2 295 65 20. 10k miles on them id trade u

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, I agree....they made the mistake, why do you have to pay for it??? Yep, they will lose their a$$ on the deal, but too dammmm bad. Go to a restaurant and get a medium rare steak that they cook well done, and they toss it and give you what you paid for. Why is a tire store any different??????????????????????

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually, I agree....they made the mistake, why do you have to pay for it??? Yep, they will lose their a$$ on the deal, but too dammmm bad. Go to a restaurant and get a medium rare steak that they cook well done, and they toss it and give you what you paid for. Why is a tire store any different??????????????????????

Because he ate the steak, Er, I mean, drove off with the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
talk to the owner/manager and get your money back. if they refuse go to small claims court. i agree, its not about the 40.00, its about being right.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If it a Chain Tire store and they refuse to refund the difference file a claim,, Tell them you will complain to Corp. office.. Their screw up they should refund no issue.. It is not about the $$ it is getting what you pain for. Most of the shops have a kid off the street as a manager and their head is up their ass! If you like the tires get your $$ back,

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am going to have them switched out. Right is right. and from everyone says on here clearance should not be a problem as I have the 8" rims and guys are clearing with 9". Anyway The reason I wanted them was for the extra width and height. yes 60s look good but The guy was and ass to me on the phone like I did something wrong. So guess what your changing them out just on principal alone. If they touch a bit I will through on my .25 spacers which are legal in ny state. But like I said I have been researching them for a while now and I truly think I should be good. You guys no when we finally decide on what set up we want and break our ass saving the cash all winter to do these mods and it goes less then perfect then we are pissed. so I will update you as to how it goes. On another note did a full debadge today love the look. tinted windows next.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I am going to have them switched out. Right is right. and from everyone says on here clearance should not be a problem as I have the 8" rims and guys are clearing with 9". Anyway The reason I wanted them was for the extra width and height. yes 60s look good but The guy was and ass to me on the phone like I did something wrong. So guess what your changing them out just on principal alone. If they touch a bit I will through on my .25 spacers which are legal in ny state. But like I said I have been researching them for a while now and I truly think I should be good. You guys no when we finally decide on what set up we want and break our ass saving the cash all winter to do these mods and it goes less then perfect then we are pissed. so I will update you as to how it goes. On another note did a full debadge today love the look. tinted windows next.
Where in NY are you? Make sure you do legal tints or you won't pass your next inspection haha.

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
outside albany ny very close to troy ny.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
outside albany ny very close to troy ny.
I went to Siena College for 2 years until they cut our football program and then finished up at UAlbany as a Great Dane haha