2012 Evic and gauges go crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I apologize if this is the wrong place, looked to be the best of the descriptions...

I have a 2012 Ram Express with the evic system. I was driving down the highway and my truck just freaked out. The tach stopped working, temp gauges quit, all kinds of messages popped up:

Seatbelt undone (it wasn't)
Service engine
Service 4wd
Electronic trailer brake disconnected (and module was flashing)
Traction control off
Check engine light
Gear indicators were green and red on R

Then when I slowed down off the exit, the speedometer toggled on and off. It also wouldn't shift out of park until it was restarted.

I dropped it at the dealer to have them look at it. I'm kind of pissed off about it. Has anyone had this happened to them?!

Thanks guys. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359593314.106072.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a bad connection or a bad body control module.
Let's hope for your sake it's the first!

I've been on the forum for a while, and this is the first I've heard of this.

OP
OP
M

maso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the reply. What's a body control module? Everything was fine this morning, and until I got a couple miles down the road this evening. Its under warranty at least.

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same exact thing happen on my'12 Sport. They had to remove the whole dash and replace the main wiring harness that came through the firewall. They found a bent pin on one of the connections causing the random gauge freakouts.

OP
OP
M

maso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh wow! Well it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. I couldn't find any info from google about it. How long did it take to fix it? They had my truck all day and still haven't looked at it... Supposedly first thing tomorrow. Any tips on how to encourage them to replace it, or do I just have to let them do their thing?

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have them check all the wiring harnesses under the dash. Mine was the second one they had to fix with the issue. It was merely a bent pin to which was odd. Still they had to pull the whole dash to replace the harness since the harness is part of the main ecm harness.

Here's a video of what mine did.
This was after the gauges initially freaked out and I before I shut it off and restarted it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSiIMFOsPw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OP
OP
M

maso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Holy cow! That's exactly what mine did, except it also flashed messages on the screen, and would go to random screens. I'll call them in the morning and suggest they take a look at it. Thanks again for replying!

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow...good luck hope that fixes it for ya

OP
OP
M

maso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The dealer finally looked at it this morning. They wanted to update the PCM with new software. Took it for a test drive, all good until they pulled back in, hit the brakes and all went to hell. Luckily, the guy working is off all weekend, so my truck gets to vaca at the dealer till Monday! Then theyre going to look at the wiring. Argh!

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yikes! Hope they provided you with a loaner.

OP
OP
M

maso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well got the truck back today. Turns out there was a loose connector to the TIPM. They plugged it in and latched it down, and supposedly that fixed it. We will see!

loner5777j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the same issue, apparently it was from an aftermarket remote start in my 2012 red wings edition. Took out the starter and since then hasn't had it reoccur once since

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk