2013 HVAC issue - thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matthewturley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7-Liter Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine
Within 5,000 miles of purchasing my new 2013 2500 Laramie, the HVAC system started having an issue where it will only blow air at the highest temperate if set to any temperate above 'LO', regardless of whether the fan is set to auto or manual. Even when set to the lowest numerical temperature (60°F), it will blow hot air indefinitely, even if the exterior and interior temperatures are well above 80°F. The only way to get cooler air is to set it to 'LO', which then works normally.

So essentially, I'm left with the two extremes in HVAC air temperatures. The problem occurs about 2/3 of the time, oftentimes within the same key-cycle (i.e. goes from working normally to abnormally spontaneously while driving). I've taken it in several times to the dealership and they've updated the system firmware and replaced a temperature sensor (in the side mirror?), but they don't seem to have a good idea on what else to replace.

I don't know the specifics of the truck's HVAC system, but it seems it's likely something simple like a cabin temperature sensor that's malfunctioning intermittently. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix or even diagnose which component is faulty?

Thanks in advance!
-Matthew

Searay245se

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No idea what it might be but if they can reproduce the problem at the dealer they have to make it right and if they can't make it right in a certain number of times it maybe time to look into the lemon laws in your state.