2013 Rear View Mirror removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

757guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys,

New 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Express owner here and I'm replacing the regular mirror with an auto-dimming mirror with compass.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to remove the rear view mirror. I''ve searched all over the place but could not find an answer.
(I don't want to break it either!)

Any help or diagrams to help me figure out what I need to do to remove the mirror would be most appreciated!

Thank you.

757guy

Minneapolis, MN

Ram bo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that ting gots a hemi!
see if a dealership will hook you up. I got some schemtsic help from chebby dealef once durring one of my many engine swaps in an old 85 Firebird

T900enforcer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a new 2013 Express Quad Cab and have the same question. The only reference I have found as to how the internal rear view mirror mounts is the following description from the BrandMotion web site.

This slimline mirror has the large bright LCD display of our popular 9002-9515 mirror, but in a sleeker, more compact package. It does so by using a wider 16:9 aspect ratio 3.5" screen vs. the more conventional 4:3 aspect ratio. And, it comes with the new twist-off "tri-lobe" windshield mount found on many newer vehicles from Ford, Chrysler, and others.

The link to the page is:
Slimline OEM Auto Dimming Mirror with 3.5" Display (Twist Off Mount) 9002-9618

If you have any other info I would appreciate a shout back as what you've found

Thanks
T900

OP
OP

757guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found out how to remove the mirror. The whole assembly twists off of the base on the windshield. Grab the mirror firmly and slowly rotate to the right and the mirror will rotate off of a triangular mounting base. To re-attach, place the mirror stem against the triangular mounting base, holding the mirror at a 8 O'clock and 2 O'clock position. Slowly rotate the mirror to the right and it will lock back into place.

DO NOT TRY TO PUSH MIRROR STRAIGHT ONTO THE BASE WITH FORCE OR SLIGHT POUNDING - YOU WILL CRACK YOUR WINDSHIELD!

More bad news: I wanted to install an autodimming mirror with a compass. Because of the unusual base, the only mount that would work is a wedge style base. The only place a new base can be installed is on "clean" glass. You will notice that the 2013 Ram 1500 has a large blackout area that extends below the mirror mounting base for approximately 4" (8" below the headliner). The new wedge would have to be installed below the blackout area to stay secure. Unfortunately, that is below the rear seat area and you will have very restricted vision from behine (not to mention it is illegal to mount a mirror in the middle of the windshield as it would block drivers vision to the right side of the vehicle).

So - no aftermarket mirror From MITO Corporation unless they come up with a suitable mount. According to one of their design engineers, they have tried many different designs on an adapter piece and none of them work. He also said they are having issues with other Dodge vehicle that are now using this mount design.

Sorry for the bad news!!

LOOK AT THE BRANDMOTION VIDEO ABOVE - THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE MIRROR ATTACHMENT LOOKS LIKE ON THE 2013 RAM 1500. In other words, the Brandmotion mirror should work.

EDIT: I just spoke to a technical respresentative at Brandmotion, and she told me that there are only 4 vehicles that currently use the triangular mounting system. If you are looking for a autodimming mirror with a backup camera, their product will work. Currently the autdimming mirrors with compass are NOT being made for the 2013 Ram 1500.

757guy

Silvercreek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While on a short trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday I grabbed the review mirror to make an adjustment and it came completely UN-attached from the mount. Fortunately I was close to a RAM dealership in OKC and they had it back on in less than 15 minutes. The service writer said that mine was the third 2013 that they had seen that had a mirror to fall off.

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
I have a 2014 tradesman think the 13 and 14 are same style I want to replace my existing mirror for one that has rear view camera in it but how do you remove the black plastic cover that comes down from the headliner

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
I know this is an older thread but I found it while I was working on upgrading my mirror. I got this adapter from the dealer. It goes on the hex mount, secures with a setscrew, then allows a standard wedge mount mirror be installed. I had the basic no frills mirror in my 14 Express but the dealer provided an auto dimming with compass/temp, wired it all up, and I installed with the provided base.

1461409_10202098969594758_2019647386291051777_n.jpg

10653641_10202098969154747_8891332957490617661_n.jpg