Adding cooled seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow I am surprised that the code was there. I am almost positive it wasn't on my Express. Are you saying that you truck actually had the wiring and your heated seats are working but you just don't have the buttons in the dash or you have the icons on the radio but the seats don't work? If you have the wiring maybe the 2500's are different than the 1500 because my Express has nothing at all.

I had the icons added with the code, but do not have the wiring for the seats.
The pic attached is not from my truck, put it is the same code.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 151

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DO you know what is the difference between my 2013 Ram 2500 Crew ST and a tradesman or an SLT? I looked under the driver seat and there are 3 connectors, one yellow plug for the air bag, one small gray plug for the USB hub in the seat console, a slightly larger gray connector which supplies power to the seat console and one large gray plug maybe seat belt wiring?

Ram%202500%20Console%20power.jpg

Ram%202500%20air%20bag.jpg

What did your plugs look like with your tradesman?

Thanks for the assist :favorites13:
I did not have any wiring for the heated seats

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I wanted to post a quick update on this. I have been trying to get my heated/cooled seats working with 00/RT's help. What we have been able to figure out so far is that if your truck is an SLT or higher you will most likely have the correct wiring to hook up the seats. If you have and Express or Tradesman the wiring is not preasnt. RT's truck is a 13 Regular cab Express and it had the wiring. He is assuming it's because they build so few RC trucks that they use the same harness for all. That is why some guys have been able to hook up the seats with no issues and others haven't. The main problem I am having now is my 14 Express QC does not have the correct (ignition on run) power wires coming into the cab of the truck. 00/RT checked my Power Distibrution Cente(PDC) and they are not even present there. This was so frustrsting. I was hoping they would at least be there and I could just tap into them. These are for the heated seats and have a big draw. I do have some smaller wires coming into the cab that are the correct (ignition on run) configuration but they are way to small of a Guage wire to use. I do belive if this can get figured out and I can posibly find a suitable ignition on run power source the seats will work if you tap nto the CAN system as he has stated. The problem is finding that source. I am going to look I into other power sources that only come on when the truck is on ignition run that may be able to handle the additional load of the heated seats but I am kinda stumped right now. It seems like every time I think I have a handle on it I realize there is something else. If it does get figured out it honestly won't be to tough of a Mod once we know exactly were we can tap into this power and hook up to the CAN system. I thought tapping into the correct power would be the easy part! If anyone knows of anyone getting this done maybe on another forum I am all ears! I will post back if anything else is figured out.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could you just run a fused wire off of the battery with a relay that will energize with the key on?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hadn't thought of that but I think it would be possible. I haven't done anything like that before but I wouldn't think it would be to hard. I would have to try to look up how to do it but if I could it would make me feel a lot better doing it that way instead if taping into another wire.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think if you just ran the power through a relay to the heater and fan it should work just fine. I would think you would have to wire the switches to a resistor or rheostat so they don't just stay on max power constantly but never done this for seats before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about the blower motor as well but I will most likely be using the heat and defrost with the heated seats so I was kinda worried about overloading that circuit. I know the heated seats pull quite a bit of power,especially if they are both on high. It is an option though. Thanks.

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I wanted to post a quick update on this. I have been trying to get my heated/cooled seats working with 00/RT's help. What we have been able to figure out so far is that if your truck is an SLT or higher you will most likely have the correct wiring to hook up the seats. If you have and Express or Tradesman the wiring is not preasnt. RT's truck is a 13 Regular cab Express and it had the wiring. He is assuming it's because they build so few RC trucks that they use the same harness for all. That is why some guys have been able to hook up the seats with no issues and others haven't. The main problem I am having now is my 14 Express QC does not have the correct (ignition on run) power wires coming into the cab of the truck. 00/RT checked my Power Distibrution Cente(PDC) and they are not even present there. This was so frustrsting. I was hoping they would at least be there and I could just tap into them. These are for the heated seats and have a big draw. I do have some smaller wires coming into the cab that are the correct (ignition on run) configuration but they are way to small of a Guage wire to use. I do belive if this can get figured out and I can posibly find a suitable ignition on run power source the seats will work if you tap nto the CAN system as he has stated. The problem is finding that source. I am going to look I into other power sources that only come on when the truck is on ignition run that may be able to handle the additional load of the heated seats but I am kinda stumped right now. It seems like every time I think I have a handle on it I realize there is something else. If it does get figured out it honestly won't be to tough of a Mod once we know exactly were we can tap into this power and hook up to the CAN system. I thought tapping into the correct power would be the easy part! If anyone knows of anyone getting this done maybe on another forum I am all ears! I will post back if anything else is figured out.

That's a little disheartening but I'm glad you're still motivated.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
OK I wanted to post a quick update on this. I have been trying to get my heated/cooled seats working with 00/RT's help. What we have been able to figure out so far is that if your truck is an SLT or higher you will most likely have the correct wiring to hook up the seats. If you have and Express or Tradesman the wiring is not preasnt. RT's truck is a 13 Regular cab Express and it had the wiring. He is assuming it's because they build so few RC trucks that they use the same harness for all. That is why some guys have been able to hook up the seats with no issues and others haven't. The main problem I am having now is my 14 Express QC does not have the correct (ignition on run) power wires coming into the cab of the truck. 00/RT checked my Power Distibrution Cente(PDC) and they are not even present there. This was so frustrsting. I was hoping they would at least be there and I could just tap into them. These are for the heated seats and have a big draw. I do have some smaller wires coming into the cab that are the correct (ignition on run) configuration but they are way to small of a Gage wire to use. I do believe if this can get figured out and I can possibly find a suitable ignition on run power source the seats will work if you tap into the CAN system as he has stated. The problem is finding that source. I am going to look I into other power sources that only come on when the truck is on ignition run that may be able to handle the additional load of the heated seats but I am kinda stumped right now. It seems like every time I think I have a handle on it I realize there is something else. If it does get figured out it honestly won't be to tough of a Mod once we know exactly were we can tap into this power and hook up to the CAN system. I thought tapping into the correct power would be the easy part! If anyone knows of anyone getting this done maybe on another forum I am all ears! I will post back if anything else is figured out.

Hi Rick,
Yep quite a challenge. I'm gathering parts for a similar project. Fitting 2015 leather/pwr/heat/cooled seats into my 2013 2500 6.7 Crew Cab ST cloth seats no power/heat/cool anything. My factory 40/20/40 cloth front seat does have side air bags. Any chance the wiring diagrams you've run across show anything about the seat side air bag wiring? My first goal will be to install the leather seats without heat/cool function but the color codes between my 2013 & 2015 airbags are slightly different colors. Also my 2015 seat has the seat memory switch & module so I don't think it's just a matter of hooking up a +12 power source for the driver side. The 2015 passenger power seat portion looks like I can hook up +12Volts and get the seat position switches to work :) and yet I still have the air bag wiring to get right before I can install the passenger seat. The driver side I might be able to remove the memory module, by pass it and then figure out the airbag wiring. Also I'm converting to the factory bezel for my 5.0 to 8.4NAV and trying to figured out the heated steering wheel too. When I get some free time I have to spend time at the dealer to find out which sales codes they'll flash for me. I'll keep my progress posted here as well. Not much happening on this project till January. If anybody else has info I'm all ears as well :happy107:
My email is [email protected] if anybody has wiring diagrams they'd like to share :naughty:
Good luck Rick!
Merry Christmas too :)
Jon aka 69mach1

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got some great Schematics from dodgetk81. I emailed them to you. Let me know if you got them. I went to the stereo shop to see if they had a relay that they could recommend and explained what I wanted to do. They said they would actually install a relay from my battery that was connected to my ignition on run for 50.00 so I am going to have that done the week after Christmas. Great idea dodgetk81! I also bought a heated wheel and clockspring so I am going to get those installed as soon as they come in. I checked my truck and I have the wiring for the heated wheel in my colum for the clockspring but it doesn't go to the seat plug. So the plan is to hopefully get the relay installed for the power and hook up the two wires for the heated wheel to the Grey 20 pin seat plug and also hook up the two CAN wires to the same plug pins 10 and 20. OO/RT has pretty much walked me through most of this. I don't want anyone to think I am in any way taking credit for the install if this actually works. I am just posting what I am doing to keep.people up to date. He got me all of the part numbers for all of the correct pins and plugs to do a factory type install. but they are out of stock on the pins so I am going to have to improvise just to see if the drivers seat and wheel will actually work.. If it does I will try to get the wiring done to connect the drivers seat to the passenger seat and go from there.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You are getting into alot more than you realize. I installed Laramie seats on my Express as well. It is easy to hook them up to power so the adjustments and Lombar work. Hooking up the heated cooled option is a another story. You will need all of the correct harnesses to hook up to all of the modules under the seat plus your truck. These harnesses are not availible seperate so you have to buy the whole cab harness for around 1k. Doc Holiday actualy bought a complete harness to add heated seats to the rears on his truck. He might be able to hook you up with the pieces he has left for your install. After you figure out all if the harnesses and get a switch panel you will need to have the sales codes for the heated cooled seats added to your truck. Your truck never had this as an option in your trim level so you can't just go have the codes flashed in. You need to find a dealer willing to contact WIC( Warranty Information Center ) and see if they will release the codes to your Vin#. Doc and CuylerTech have been able to do this and if I'm not mistaken I think they went through the same people. I haven't heard of anyone else being able to get it done. I am working on getting the Auto Dim code added to my truck but so far have had no success. I have all of the wiring on seats figured out. I am going to just install aftermarket seat heater switches and hook up the fans as well. If I where you before you spend all of the time and money on parts go to a dealer and see if you can get them to contact WIC to add the codes. If you are successful at getting the codes added then you can go from there. As far as your radio goes look up 5.0 to 8.4 upgrade in the 4th gen DIY by Getupkid. You will need a custom made adaptor harness and some other pieces but it is simple to do. You can buy the harness from the Harness Conection who is a,vendor on this forum.

GAWD. Makes you just want to buy a truck with cooled seats in the first place lol.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Are you saying that my '14 R/T has the wiring for cooled seats already?? Would this hold true for dual power seats?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GAWD. Makes you just want to buy a truck with cooled seats in the first place lol.

Yeah I can't argue with that. I pretty much had everything I needed to give shot so I figured what the heck. I have to admit it has been harder than I thought but if it can work it shouldn't be that hard to duplicate once we know what needs to be done. As far as ventilated seats go it was an option on the 14 Sport. If you checked to make sure you have the correct wiring which you very well may have. And purchased ventilated seats and change your switch panel it might work that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out now.

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like more bad news for us express owners...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not bad news just another challenge. If it doesn't work at least we tryed. Honestly we have been able to add a ton of stuff on our trucks we never thought we could. I'm getting it figured out little by little and as I stated once it's figured out the actual mod won't be that hard if it works. it's just a matter of hooking up a few wires the biggest drawback is we don't have the correct power wires coming into the cab for the heated seats but by adding the relay that is pretty easily solved. From what I figured out so far which may not be accurate. I believe it is I will need to run 5 wires from the passenger seat to the drivers seat for the Heat and vent controls two ignition on run power wires from the relay to the drivers seat two CAN wires from the truck to the drivers seat at then the two wires from the steering colum to the seat for the heated wheel. I am going to try to get the wires ran from the passenger seat to the driver seat this weekend and then after Christmas take it in to have the relay installed and go from there. I'm hoping that the pins will come off of back order before then. If they don't I will just make a temporary connection until they do just to see if it works.

Last edited:

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So neither the Express or the Tradesman have the wiring for the heated/cooled seats?

But you can run a basic 12volt power to them to make them work? I would think getting the heat & power switches to work are the main thing. Obviously being able to adjust your seat is a must. I could live without the led lights working.

Do the Leather seats have more lumbar support built in? My stock cloth seats are horrible. Took me 2 months of driving my truck before I figure out why my back was bothering me. Put an aftermarket lumbar in & solved the problem. Really want to upgrade to the leather seats. Just been tough to find any. I keep checking my local yards but none seem to have them

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No from what we can tell the Express/Tradesman trim level Quad/Crew Cab don't have the needed wiring. If you have a Regular Cab it may have the wiring because they seem to run the dame harness in all Regular Cabs. You can install the power seats and simply hook up a constant positive and a negative to the red wire and the Black wire in the yellow seat plug of each seat to just have the power adjust and lumbar. You can always install an aftermarket seat heater system if you want heated seats and don't want to go through the hassle I am trying to figure out. The thread says adding cooled seats but it kind of got off topic. To the best of my knowledge no one has got the factory heated seat option or cooled function to work in an Express/Tradesman. I was hoping someone had so I could learn more but I haven't been able to find any information. I am still waiting on my Clockspring and a few other pieces and then I am going to try get it wired up and see if it will work.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I finally made a little progress today. I was able to get the passenger side seat wired to the drivers side seat. If I have read the schematics correctly there are only 5 wires needed. Pins 1 through 5 in the yellow passenger seat plug. These wires will con ect to the grey 20 pin plug in the drivers seat. I have also wired my inverter so there are 5 wires in the plug for that as well. I was able to use the factory style connector and pins for the passenger side seat. I got the part numbers for the Grey plug and sockets from RT but they are out of stock. I have noticed one of the biggest problems is trying to find the factory style connectors for a cleaner look. Cutting the factory plug to do the wiring will be a last resort. I am going to call and make the apt for the relay Monday. Once the relay is installed the last steps are to install the heated wheel and clockspring and run the two wires for that and then the two CAN wires and hope for the best. If it works I will give more detailed instructions on exact wires and placement.

Attachments

• 20161224_162745.jpg
    20161224_162745.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20161224_160846.jpg
    20161224_160846.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20161224_154708.jpg
    20161224_154708.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK I finally made a little progress today. I was able to get the passenger side seat wired to the drivers side seat. If I have read the schematics correctly there are only 5 wires needed. Pins 1 through 5 in the yellow passenger seat plug. These wires will con ect to the grey 20 pin plug in the drivers seat. I have also wired my inverter so there are 5 wires in the plug for that as well. I was able to use the factory style connector and pins for the passenger side seat. I got the part numbers for the Grey plug and sockets from RT but they are out of stock. I have noticed one of the biggest problems is trying to find the factory style connectors for a cleaner look. Cutting the factory plug to do the wiring will be a last resort. I am going to call and make the apt for the relay Monday. Once the relay is installed the last steps are to install the heated wheel and clockspring and run the two wires for that and then the two CAN wires and hope for the best. If it works I will give more detailed instructions on exact wires and placement.

If you want to install the relay yourself and save 50 bucks I can show you where I mounted mine and which wires I tapped for key on power in the plug behind the brake pedal. Relay mounted on the drivers side behind the kick panel. Very easy to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I appreciate that. I have already found two sources for the ignition on run power for the relay trigger. Honestly once they run the fused wire from the battery into the cab and install the relay and then run the two wires to the seat I figured 50.00 is worth it just to save the time with my schedule. I guess I'm just getting lazy in old age lol.