Adding GPS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 16 ram big horn with the 8.4 no nav. I just got an email from Ram offering $100 off for the GPS. It says I can just go to the website and just enter some info in the truck and website.

I thought the gps had to be flashed at the dealership? Is this not the case?

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Interesting. Have to think about it now.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nav is already in the radio, its just not activated until you enter the activation code. That's all the dealer does and then charges you $600 bucks for 10 minutes work.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got an email from Uconnect Navigation to save $100 on NAV activation. That brings their price down to $495.00 which is still about a $100 more then the link I posted above to activate it.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the same email. Thought about it for a second, then decided... "nah, I'm good." :D

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I have the Nav in my 2014 and I wish I hadn't bought it. It is very un-reliable.
I did an 8000 mile trip this summer and I am glad I took my portable tom tom.
About every time I entered a destination it would take me off in some BS direction. My portable was right every time and I gave up on the built in. Couple that with the 149.00 update costs and a portable is the only way to go IMO.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm paying monthly for a phone that has nav and maps. Think I will stick with that.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same e-mail came to me.
And I also checked out that link that was posted a while back.

If you read the link it says
Please be advised that once the nav feature is unlocked, the map database will not be the latest and greatest.

All updates must be purchased through Chrylser

I would love to have nav BUT my iphone maps work just fine

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just buy a 8.4 RA4, around $500 and then you can turn around and sell your RA3 for around $300. You also get HD radio and 3D maps.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just buy a 8.4 RA4, around $500 and then you can turn around and sell your RA3 for around $300. You also get HD radio and 3D maps.

Where are you finding RA4's for $500?

I bought the NAV upgrade from factoryradioparts.com too for $389 too and I agree with the other poster.. it was probably a waste of money. The thing about the factory radio parts is that the map database is from 2013. Dodge would probably give at least the latest update which I think is 2014 or 2015, I can't remember.

I do know that I chatted with Chrysler about the upcoming map database and there is supposed to be a 2016 map pack coming out this December. So anyone wanting to get it from Chrysler with the $100 coupon.. I would wait until after the new maps come out or you are going to have to pay another $150 to update it.

Since mine is pretty much useless right now, I am going to be buying the new map pack and hopefully be able to even use the damn thing. But it will be the last update I buy. Wish we could just stream WAZE to the 8.4!!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I bought the NAV upgrade from factoryradioparts.com too for $389 too and I agree with the other poster.. it was probably a waste of money. The thing about the factory radio parts is that the map database is from 2013. Dodge would probably give at least the latest update which I think is 2014 or 2015, I can't remember.

I do know that I chatted with Chrysler about the upcoming map database and there is supposed to be a 2016 map pack coming out this December. So anyone wanting to get it from Chrysler with the $100 coupon.. I would wait until after the new maps come out or you are going to have to pay another $150 to update it.

Since mine is pretty much useless right now, I am going to be buying the new map pack and hopefully be able to even use the damn thing. But it will be the last update I buy. Wish we could just stream WAZE to the 8.4!!
Salvage yards. I bought mine for $275 shipped. You can stream waze with a number of plug and play upgrades for the 8.4 the most popular being LockPick Air or the RAX Jailbreak. There is even a company that sells a hardware modification to run Android from the 8.4 touchscreen.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Salvage yards. I bought mine for $275 shipped. You can stream waze with a number of plug and play upgrades for the 8.4 the most popular being LockPick Air or the RAX Jailbreak. There is even a company that sells a hardware modification to run Android from the 8.4 touchscreen.

There's also at least 1 8.4 for sale in the classifieds of this forum on most days.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Nope the dealership doesn't include a map update for the $600 they charge.... I've called multiple dealerships about it and they all said no. You get whatever maps were current at the time they built your truck.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Man $275!? That's an awesome deal! You just keep checking on your local yards or do you use a headhunter online service? I'd like to get a RA4 and throw my RA3 into my 2016 charger.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope the dealership doesn't include a map update for the $600 they charge.... I've called multiple dealerships about it and they all said no. You get whatever maps were current at the time they built your truck.

Should have known better! They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing.. what a joke!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Man $275!? That's an awesome deal! You just keep checking on your local yards or do you use a headhunter online service? I'd like to get a RA4 and throw my RA3 into my 2016 charger.
I used LKQ online. Sometimes they have them mislabeled but the source VIN is accurate. Look up the source VIN on Dodge's Equipment listing website and confirm if it's an RA4 or not.

I can't take credit, I was taught this by a forum member on the "other" Ram Forum who found his for $225. It takes time, but the cost savings are worth it.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I'm going to save some money on updates- I'm not going to do it. My Nav is useless, cant depend on anything it routes me to. I am glad I bought my tom tom portable as it is accurate and has free updates.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used mine in my Challenger all the time and it was always reliable... I liked it better then having to set up and take the old Tom Tom I had before it.