Anyone accidentally turn the knob from D to R or Park when driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
What happens if I am driving and I accidentally turn the knob from Drive to reverse or park? It is right next to the volume control knob so I am sure I am going to do it soon. Anyone ever do this?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
and no. Kidding. Seriously, there are safety features. Going over X MPH completely disables it. I think you get a reading on the dash "MPH TO HIGH FOR SELECTED GEAR"

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
What happens if I am driving and I accidentally turn the knob from Drive to reverse or park? It is right next to the volume control knob so I am sure I am going to do it soon. Anyone ever do this?

Good question, maybe someone will be along to help with a real answer.
I would guess it wont do anything but flash some sort of light at you.

OP
OP
R

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I've already shut it down with the truck in Drive and it flashed something and changed the gear to Park. Only a matter of time before I turn it while driving. I hate this thing.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
The electronic shifter will blink and make you shift to neutral if I remember correctly before it will let you attempt to shift again. Like mentioned above there's a safety built in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I catch my self adjusting the blower motor speed rather the shifting or turing up the radio.
Its going to take alittle to get use to thats for sure, just have to pay attention untill it becomes second nature..

CatDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I catch my self adjusting the blower motor speed rather the shifting or turing up the radio.
Its going to take alittle to get use to thats for sure, just have to pay attention untill it becomes second nature..

Confirm it just flashes at you. Same as when you turn off in drive. If your quick you can just turn it to park but if to slow you have to cycle the key.

Once I got used to the knob, I moved right to leaving mommas car in drive, turning off the fan, letting off the brake, and scaring myself silly. Haven't hit anything expensive yet.

In my new truck I'm currently reaching for the 4wd knob and then breathing a healthy sigh of blissful relief as I grab the handle on the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In my old 2006 ram with 4wd, I accidently turned the 4wd selector (in almost the same exact spot as the gear selector in new trucks) instead of turning the heater dial, while I was doing 45+ I turned the 4wd knob from 2wd to 4wd low and all the sudden my dash started blinking 4wd low and serv 4wd lol... I was like ohhh **** and pulled over. Once i realized my mistake I put it back into 2wd and off I went. Nothing happened though... thank god. I was doing 45mph or 50mph and if it really went into 4wd low my trans and drivetrain would have exploded lol. It's only supposed to go max 25mph in 4wd low. Oops...

Sent from hell via TapATalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't help but laugh at threads like this. I mean come on guys you can't really be serious. Talk about distracted driving lol. To each his own I guess but I still think y'all are making a mountain outta a mole hill [emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I can't help but laugh at threads like this. I mean come on guys you can't really be serious. Talk about distracted driving lol. To each his own I guess but I still think y'all are making a mountain outta a mole hill [emoji23][emoji23]

Not sure what the point of your response is as it didn't add anything to the conversation or answer my question. They moved the shifter to a rotating knob right next to the volume knob. For many of us, this is our first Ram with this in it. Takes time getting used to. I just want to know what happens if (when) I accidentally turn this going down the highway when reaching for the volume or climate control knob.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure what the point of your response is as it didn't add anything to the conversation or answer my question. They moved the shifter to a rotating knob right next to the volume knob. For many of us, this is our first Ram with this in it. Takes time getting used to. I just want to know what happens if (when) I accidentally turn this going down the highway when reaching for the volume or climate control knob.

I'm just baffled by how y'all are doing this. Like I said to each his own, just gave me a good laugh. That's all. Don't get all Betty white on me . [emoji12][emoji23][emoji23]

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
@Rambo, I haven't done it "by accident" but I had one time where I was rushing out of my driveway and did a rolling shift from reverse to drive and the truck immediately went to neutral and the shifter was blinking. It's pretty sensitive to any "mistakes".

The bigger issue was that I got used to it surprisingly fast, but while driving my wife's SUV I pulled into a parking spot and turned the volume knob instead of shifting to park and luckily caught myself as I took my foot off the brake.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

100% with you. Other people kids. :)

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Have either of you 2 drove a truck for awhile with the 8sp and dial shifter ?
A column shift lever or floor shifter is old hat that you dont even have to think about or look at, stick a dial on the dash and yeah it takes alittle bit to get used to.
Guy had a honestly question and really did not need the stupid responses from the peanut gallery.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It's a muscle memory thing. It will come. Ram isn't the first to do it. Drove one in a benz and a Lexus hybrid years ago. The thing is, I knew where it was. Never got confused...

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I also think it is a good question. I to am new to the rotary knob and found that turning the fan switch does not put you in reverse lol I do know today shifter's have a safety interlock in them to help prevent damage ! I also see no reason for a wise ass answer to a question someone has. NOT all of US know all the answers :O FYI what helped me get used to that stupid knob is I added my Military Challenge coin to it , Now has a way different feel to it!

Attachments

• DSC00229.jpg
    DSC00229.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 44

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Someone test it

A couple guys at work were talking about this last week. I'm under warranty & said I'll try. Backing into my driveway at 4-5 mph, I threw it into park & got the warning message "vehicle speed to high for selected gear". The 8 speeds have a full electronic shifter, it's going to safeguard itself. The only mechanical connection the driver has (aside from engine & TC) is the manual park release cable.

AlienInferno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just yesterday I did this. Turned the knob by mistake from drive to reverse while driving about 45mph down the road. Didn't realize it until I looked at the dash screen and saw that is said I was going to fast to shift into that gear. Scared the crap out of me but would have scared me more if it actually shifted. Thank god for safety features and people smarter then I.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk