Auto Up function quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On my 2016 Ram 2500 the drivers side auto up function quit working yesterday. Anybody else have this problem?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've had it happen to my 2014 & my 2006 300 SRT8. I've managed to revive the function by doing this:

1. Get in vehicle
2. Close door
3. Turn ignition to Accessory or On but do not start
4. Push down button and hold until the window is fully open
5. Release button
6. Pull button up and hold until window is fully closed
7. Release button

Repeat steps 4 through 7 three more times. on my car 3 cycles works, on the truck 4 cycles work. YMMV.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup, that would be covered under the bumper to bumper but try that process first. It may save you a trip to the dealer.

OP
OP
D

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Maddog!!!! That worked!!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess is its a "software function" issues that lost its parameters and needed to relearn? Anyone smarter than I able to explain why this would happen, I'm curious?

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
My guess is its a "software function" issues that lost its parameters and needed to relearn? Anyone smarter than I able to explain why this would happen, I'm curious?

No answer to why, but I have had it happen on other brands of vehicles as well. Chalk it up to "stuff happens"....

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Heck if I know for sure but your thought on a potential cause does have merit. :happy107:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just to add to what MADDOG said. When you're holding the button down/up when the window gets to the bottom, listen for a click noise from the door panel. The click sound is the door module learning the full down/up position.

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
the way described by MADDOG is a "learning mode" in many cars and trucks. Doing that you let the window know two positions "fully opened" and "completely closed". Usually this problem happens after disabling the battery or when window tried to close but something doesn't let it do so. But my experience with GM trucks shows it could happen without any reason :)))

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had it happen to my 2016 as well on the drivers side . It quit working for about a week then started working again

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I've had it happen to my 2014 & my 2006 300 SRT8. I've managed to revive the function by doing this:

1. Get in vehicle
2. Close door
3. Turn ignition to Accessory or On but do not start
4. Push down button and hold until the window is fully open
5. Release button
6. Pull button up and hold until window is fully closed
7. Release button

Repeat steps 4 through 7 three more times. on my car 3 cycles works, on the truck 4 cycles work. YMMV.
Once the window is fully up or down, continue to hold the button until you hear a soft click from the door. Repeat for the opposite direction. If that doesn't work, then I'd have the dealer deal with it.

Yes something like this would be covered under warranty, but sometimes a quick fix isn't worth the trip.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Happened to me when I put in the AVS window vents. They go in the top of the window track and the window module had to be reprogrammed. If you had anything get in the track and keep the window from getting to it's full closed position you have to retrain it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
the way described by MADDOG is a "learning mode" in many cars and trucks. Doing that you let the window know two positions "fully opened" and "completely closed". Usually this problem happens after disabling the battery or when window tried to close but something doesn't let it do so. But my experience with GM trucks shows it could happen without any reason :)))

Yes, a Chevy and GMC will go into default just going over railroad tracks anywhere over 20mph around here. (Ask why I know.)

*Has anyone tried out the "10 second fix" yet? We use it on a bunch of other makes and that's the other version. Same learning mode but only 1 cycle. Hold open button for additional 10 seconds after fully open then 10 seconds after fully closed.

Let me know if it works easier or we're stuck with the 3-Cycle deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963