Bed cap lighting/accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaronmaff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 4WD, Quad Cab, Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey first post here!

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 hemi, quad cab.
I'm looking to get a bed cap soon, although I've never been that fond of the look, I need the additional room. I have soft folding tonneau cover right now.

Anyway I'd like to have more lighting inside the cap as well as the possibility for additional electrical accessories and I was thinking of adding a small ATV/marine-sized battery inside the cap to run additional accessories when my truck is off without draining my battery.

I was thinking of hooking my main battery to the smaller battery so I can run my truck to charge it. Possibly with a switch to cut the power between the two batteries when my truck is off so I don't drain my main?

I'm no electrician but I have done some basic wiring, I installed lights under the rail in my bed because of the tonneau cover and have installed interior and exterior lights on past trucks.

Any thoughts or ideas? Definitely any important do's and don'ts when wiring something like this or if it's even plausible. Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As for the more lighting if/when you get you a cap:
a925847914687e63da8736769ed07ef9.jpg
I used LED tape lights from superbrightleds.com and added a switch off of the power for the existing light in the cap.

OP
OP
A

Aaronmaff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 4WD, Quad Cab, Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As for the more lighting if/when you get you a cap:
a925847914687e63da8736769ed07ef9.jpg
I used LED tape lights from superbrightleds.com and added a switch off of the power for the existing light in the cap.

That looks bright, do you recall which strip you bought from superbrightleds.com?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That looks bright, do you recall which strip you bought from superbrightleds.com?
These should be the ones: WFLS-NW300-WHT
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...with-18-smds-per-ft-1-chip-smd-led-3528/1466/
They are the 3528 LED SMDs rated for automotive use and IP65 waterproof.
Even though the 5050 LED SMDs are brighter, the 3528s light up the back like daylight. I used the same ones under the sides in the bed of my buddies truck for lighting under his tonneau cover/fifth wheel.
33527d4c2c81c80cff885b2f8cf41d7d.jpg

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These should be the ones: WFLS-NW300-WHT
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...with-18-smds-per-ft-1-chip-smd-led-3528/1466/
They are the 3528 LED SMDs rated for automotive use and IP65 waterproof.
Even though the 5050 LED SMDs are brighter, the 3528s light up the back like daylight. I used the same ones under the sides in the bed of my buddies truck for lighting under his tonneau cover/fifth wheel.
33527d4c2c81c80cff885b2f8cf41d7d.jpg

Hey what did you tap into and where ? I am about to this to my truck Just trying to figure out the easiest spot to get the 12v

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hey what did you tap into and where ? I am about to this to my truck Just trying to figure out the easiest spot to get the 12v
In my truck's cap there was already a fuse block for existing light. It is tapped off of the +12V from trailer 7 pin. I used the same +12V from the trailer 7 pin in my buddies 2500 for the under bed rail lighting. I did add a small 2" x 3" enclosure with a 5 amp fuse and an On/Off switch for the LEDs(see Pic).
Clean the surface really good with isopropyl alcohol (I always have 99.9% pure electronics cleaner) rubbing alcohol. The LED strips have been on both trucks for at least 3 years with no issues of peeling off.IMG_20161016_154627986.jpg

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how I can tap in... I dont have a cap.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I stripped off some of the insulation and soldered to the truck wiring without cutting them. Then sealed the connections with liquid "electrical tape" and then wrapped the all the wires back up with regular electrical tape.
If you don't want to tap directly into the wires going to the back of the plug, buy one of these:
CURT 56584 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/
This will give wiring hook up for a tailgate LED bar w/reverse if you were thinking of adding one also.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Hey first post here!

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 hemi, quad cab.
I'm looking to get a bed cap soon, although I've never been that fond of the look, I need the additional room. I have soft folding tonneau cover right now.

Anyway I'd like to have more lighting inside the cap as well as the possibility for additional electrical accessories and I was thinking of adding a small ATV/marine-sized battery inside the cap to run additional accessories when my truck is off without draining my battery.

I was thinking of hooking my main battery to the smaller battery so I can run my truck to charge it. Possibly with a switch to cut the power between the two batteries when my truck is off so I don't drain my main?

I'm no electrician but I have done some basic wiring, I installed lights under the rail in my bed because of the tonneau cover and have installed interior and exterior lights on past trucks.

Any thoughts or ideas? Definitely any important do's and don'ts when wiring something like this or if it's even plausible. Thanks!

Why run a smaller battery, You are describing a very similar setup as to what I am running. I am actually running a full size marine battery in the back that I run a 12v camping fridge with. It charges from the main when the truck is running but is isolated when the vehicle is off. Be sure to use a solid state isolator as there is minimal voltage or current loss. When I am camping for extended periods I have a solar panel. I sit on the roof to keep the 2nd battery going. When wiring be sure to use the proper gauge wiring as well as fuses in between.