A/C blower loud noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok - so I have had my 2013 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab for a little over two months now. I overall am very happy with it... BUT:

The second or third day after purchase, I turned up the a/c (actually, it was just on vent) to the highest setting and a noise came out of the area behind the lower glove box - a somewhat loud growling sound, fairly low pitched.

I turned the fan back to low, then back up and it would quit on the lowest setting, but return when turned to anything higher - getting louder as the speed was turned up. Figured I would call the dealership on Monday.

The next day - no noise - fan blew quietly... BUT - not as much volume of air. Hmmm....

Didn't think much about it... until today. I got in my truck after a lunch appointment, it was pretty warm, so I turned a/c on. Decided I needed more air, so I turned it up and the noise is back! Two months without noise, and now its back. Of particular interest, the air volume is back up as well...

So I guess I need to call the dealership up and set an appointment - unless someone knows a simple test/fix. Or has any experience with this. 2100 miles... hoped to get a few more before a return to the dealership!

OP
OP
Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Call off the dogs!

After reading some other threads related to noises (mostly in older than 2-month trucks!), I decided to pull the blower motor and see if there was trash in it... And I found a piece of black plastic about 3 inches long, by 1 inch wide just sitting in the squirrel cage. Pulled that out, bolted blower back in, all is well!!! Yeah!!!