Cabin air filter mod issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brought the truck in for an oil change and asked about the cabin air filter mod. The dealer says that it is known to cause problems with the heating system and since winter is coming that it wouldn't be a good time to try it. They also said that if they installed it they wouldn't be able to guarantee warranty on heating system if it causes issues because it is known to cause problems?

Anyone here have any issues with there heating system after putting a filter in?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Find another dealer. I think someone is blowing smoke up your ass. I've never read about any failures associated with that mod.
Jay

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Considering the newer models have them installed at the factory, can't see how it would cause problems???

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was the first "mod" done to my truck, with not a single apparent issue. I'd be curious as to why there would be a "problem" with a cabin filter in the Ram trucks, verses the other chrysler products that come with a filter (as the Ram "mod" uses the same filter as a Dodge Journey). I seem to recall reading somewhere the 2017 Rams will now come with a cabin filter installed as standard equipment.

OP
OP
djyeti

djyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They said it may mess up the climate control somehow. Either way I am going to get it done, just thought I would check the forum first. You guys answered just as I thought you would. Always have dust on the dash shortly after detailing and I hope this solves it.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had mine in for over 2 yrs without any known issues.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are concerned about the amount of air flow, put in a K&N VF2013. It is washable and has much less restriction than the paper or paper/charcoal units. Also more expensive, about $35 at Walmart. But it is also built extremely well and guaranteed for 100,000 miles (whatever that means) :). Because of less restriction, it likely doesn't do quite as good of job filtering the finest particles.

How the hell can that dealer make those claims?!? The cabin air filter is standard on the 2017+! It was my first mod, 200km; I had a May build and the cutout and door were already there. I had a 2011 Laramie and the difference with dust on the dash is amazing.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
First mistake was even engaging the dealer to begin with. "The Mod" on 2016 and prior year models is not something I have even seen that is sanctioned or listed in any MOPAR or FCA tech data at the user or dealership level. Asking the dealership to do the mod no mater how simple, comes up as a "does not compute" in their brains and they do not want to assume liability since it is not a official documented action for them to take.

OP
OP
djyeti

djyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The service guy was unaware that it didn't have one. He went and talked to a tech and came back with this information. They were more than happy and willing to install it but I figured I would check here first and i will probably do it myself.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah I cannot fathom how installing a paper air filter to keep dust and particulates filtered out of your cab would cause issues with your climate system unless you let it get so dirty and backed up that air couldn't get through...

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Several of my friends have had the Geno's kit installed at the dealer......

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heck, one of the online MOPAR places even have it listed as a "kit" to buy.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where does this filter go in a 2015?

clgrandorf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Somewhere buried in that thread it mentions that the reason they didn't include the cabin filter in the Ram is because they figured people wouldn't care enough to regularly change the filter and end up clogging it, which would mess up the system eventually. The air system in our truck has a lot of commonality with other FCA cars (which is why there is an empty slot that just so happens to fit a 2011 Avenger door/filter) and if they can run filters with no problem, we should be able to as well.