Cabin Filter - Filtering Return or Supply Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
I'm getting ready to order parts for the cabin filter and door installation.

I have three questions:

1. Is this cabin filter on the return side of the unit (the side air gets sucked into the unit)? In other words, is the filter cleaning the air before it reaches the evaporator coil?

2. If in fact it is on the return side of the unit, is it filtering both the fresh air from the outside as well as recirculated air from the cabin?

3. At the filter, what direction is the air-flow? I stumbled across some installation pics and it shows that the air is flowing downward (based on the arrow on the installed filter.

Here is a link to the installation pics I mentioned.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/1500-cabin-filter-p-3863.html

OP
OP
M

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Hope to save some people some time by replying to my own post. Since posting question, I found some info that was helpful to me. The article and videos I found pretty much answer my questions!

Here is an article by Torque News that's informative. Why you should add a cabin air filter to your Ram 1500 - Torque News

Here is a great "How To" video on YouTube video that shows the installation of filter and door and an evaporator coil taken from a unit that did not have a cabin filter. There are a bunch of "How to" videos on installing filter and door but Ya gotta see this dirty evap coil in this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai4lstgEO4o

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Interesting... the 2017 has the filter.

I just looked and mine in fact has one.

OP
OP
M

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Interesting... the 2017 has the filter.

I just looked and mine in fact has one.

When I first looked at mine, I thought it had the door but with some additional investigation, it was just the molded plastic that looks like a door. In fact, that's what gets cut out!

I've read sometime in early 2016 they included the door and filter.

I just did the first step in cutting out the plastic and placed duct tape over the hole. It's a nice warm day and wanted to get that work out of the way. I'm going to order the door kit an filter today and pop it in when it's delivered.

I found a sticky on the modification but it was never closed. There were over 200 replies. I just don't have time to read thought all of them. Most of them were a "thank you" or "great idea" kind of reply. I thought stickies get closed and cant be replied to. At least that's how it is on other forums I visit. No worries..... cup's half full!

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For late 2016 builds (about May) they started to use 2017 parts so the hole was already factory punched out and the door was installed. However, there was no filter installed on 2016s. That's the way my truck arrived. I installed a K&N VF2013 filter because it has the least air restrictions and is washable.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Filter is downstream (return side) of the evap coil. Designed to keep the coil clean.