Calibrating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozzyy_12'

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so my 12 Tradesman OEM came with 17 inch wheels. Then the dealer I bought it from or someone along the line out 20 OEM rims and recently I put 22 in rims. Now I know of when you put a bigger rim your tach doesn't read it the same. I'm just wondering if there's anyway it can get recalibrated anyway? Like by any sequence ex. Holding X button and then doing X motion? Any help appreciated.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ok so my 12 Tradesman OEM came with 17 inch wheels. Then the dealer I bought it from or someone along the line out 20 OEM rims and recently I put 22 in rims. Now I know of when you put a bigger rim your tach doesn't read it the same. I'm just wondering if there's anyway it can get recalibrated anyway? Like by any sequence ex. Holding X button and then doing X motion? Any help appreciated.

I am assuming you mean you want to calibrate your speedometer. Your tach has nothing to do with your wheels or tires. It only displays the current crankshaft revolutions per minute. The wheel size has little to do with your speedo either. Ultimately, the determining factor in all this is the overall height (actually, the circumference) of your tires.

As far as I know, there are only two ways to calibrate your speedo:

1: Buy an aftermarket tuner such as Diablo or Trinity and you can do it yourself within the unit, or

2: Take it to the stealership and they (from what I've heard many times) may or may not be able to help you, depending on the tire size you now have.

I hope this helps :happy160:

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yessir, the overall rolling diamter is the key figure here....

You can also use a GPS speed app (free) on your phone. It will show you your actual speed, and you can compare that speed with your speedometer to see how far you are off. It will probably only be a couple of miles per hour.