Car seat in Ram crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muleywannabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Where do you guys put the car seats in these trucks? I have a 6 month old and I want her safe. The crew cab has a slightly smaller middle seat in the back, is that where you should put the car seats? suggestions please

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put mine in all 3 spots. I use both the clips and seat belt can never be to safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Many trains of thought but I would put the little one behind you cause it will be a natural instinct to veer yourself away from danger. If the car seat is in the passenger side you may put that side of the vehicle in the path of danger unknowingly.

Others will say you want to be able to easily see the little one by just glancing back and that would mean putting the carseat on the passenger side. It comes down to preference.

Can't go wrong with either side, but I would not put it in the middle. Its smaller seat as you said and god forbid something came through the windshield there is no protection.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lil one goes behind me. You can always put one of those mirrors that go one the back of the seat facing the lil one( assuming still in a rear facing seat) you can view that with rear view mirror.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I put them on either side of the truck. Center is left empty. We use a VERY high quality Britax car seat. You get what you pay for for sure!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Haserot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have been pondering this myself. My kid's car seat is in the center of my crew cab. The anchors are there to accommodate. I wanted to revisit this though because I thought I remember reading in the manual something about using the sides. I don't think it said specifically to only use the sides, but it made mention of the anchors being located there without mentioning the center seat. That being said, three car seats can be accommodated in the back, so I do not think by design any one spot is safer than the next. While behind the driver and passenger gives you a few more inches of seat bottom, the middle places the child in what is likely the safest zone, taking into account you do not know where you will be hit. The sides are great if you only get hit on the opposite side.

Furthermore, I do not know how the side passenger airbags deploy in the rear, but airbags are not always the best thing for someone as small as a child.<-- This bit was paraphrased from the American Medical Association's and GM's 'Protecting Children in Motor Vehicles: A Matter of Restraint' pamphlet. It is a bit dated, but still relevant.

Lastly, what was the suggested placement of car seats in the old Dakota extended cab? Or even the current Toyota Tacome ext. cab? If I recall correctly, those accommodate car seats but the seat cushion is not big enough for the whole base to sit on. I would think this again suggests that, to a certain extent, the size of the cushion does not matter.

Perhaps the best solution is to call Chrysler or ask your dealer. Without someone to say definitely, it is all opinion and preference. I have to get with my dealer in a day or two, I'll try and remember to ask him.

Keep those little ones safe!

OP
OP
M

muleywannabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have 3 kids in my crew cab almost daily. 4 month old in the center, 4 and 5 year old on each side,with plenty of room.

El phono

I have her now in the middle seat of my tundra. I think shes safest there or so im told. Thanks for all the advice

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
any of the 3 seats in the rear are good. they all have anchors, which means that they were tested and passed the IIHS crash test in all 3 spots, or they wouldn't be there.
Most important is make sure the seat is level- use a pool noodle or something to make it level and tighten the hell out of it.
If you have any problems, call or go to your nearest firehouse for some help. usually someone in the dept is certified, or they can steer you to someone who is.
I used to teach the child passenger safety class, it's a growing community service that most fire depts do.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The problem I saw with the ram is NO place to hook the back strap when it's rear facing. I ended up hooking it to the frame of the front passenger seat which is thick as can be and of course bolted to the floor.

Haserot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The problem I saw with the ram is NO place to hook the back strap when it's rear facing. I ended up hooking it to the frame of the front passenger seat which is thick as can be and of course bolted to the floor.

I pretty sure in the manual it says the cloth loops attached to the top of each rear seat back are the tethers for the rear-facing seats.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I pretty sure in the manual it says the cloth loops attached to the top of each rear seat back are the tethers for the rear-facing seats.

Yeah... Not sure how that is supposed to work... You can't get the cable under the seat and around the back and hook it to the loop. Those dumb straps don't even work for our forward facing booster. They're too long and the strap on the booster can't be pulled tight enough so it just hangs limp. I put the lower straps on and then used the ratcheting seat belts to really hold them in tight. I push down on the seat while pulling tight on the straps.

IMO, they need a hook right below the front of the seat bottom cushion.

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like those straps in the ram either

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
The safest place in the truck is the rear center.

I have one behind me and one behind the passenger seat.

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got two kids andvthey sit behind me n mom

Goon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife, who is very up to date with everything and all things car seats. She would say in the middle for sure. Although I understand your concern about the narrow middle seat. I would think it is fine while they are rear facing. We have 2 kids (4.5 and .5 years) and their car seats are on either side. I bought the crew can specifically because of the extra leg room in the back. My wife was preggers when we got the truck and we brought the car seat for the test drive to make sure it would comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
When I was a kid we didn't have car seats, cars were no where near as safe, and I didn't even wear a seat belt.

I think we'll be OK with how I have them set up. In one month my youngest hits one year so we can move the seat to forward facing seeing that he's over 20lbs too. YAY!

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea those top straps in the rear seats are junk..I tried everything to get mine to work including going over the tall rear headrest and still it was loose.I also ended up having to remove my rear headrest to get our car seat to sit right because there was a big bar that runs across the top of the car seat..My son sits behind me in my truck.
Charles

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yea those top straps in the rear seats are junk..I tried everything to get mine to work including going over the tall rear headrest and still it was loose.I also ended up having to remove my rear headrest to get our car seat to sit right because there was a big bar that runs across the top of the car seat..My son sits behind me in my truck.
Charles

Mine are both off as well. They're not needed since the kids are in their own seats and restrict the view a TON so I put them in the basement. :waytogo: