Center Console safe? Anyone have one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I am looking for some feedback on the Center Console safe. Not sure if a link to what I want will work Console Vault Floor Console Gun Safe for 09-16 Dodge Ram w/ Barrel Key Lock
Basically just wondering if anyone has one & what they think of it. While I doubt how solid it truly is for anyone truly dedicated to getting in. Trying to keep it from being a quick deal that most break in's might have. I have my Concealed Carry but do not pack all the time. It would be nice to feel a little safer if I have to leave it in my vehicle. Now I don't consider that an option. I would like it to be though.

So if you have the center console safe. Please chime in with what you think of it

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't buy that one...buy this one:

KkcFtbB.jpg

Lock'er Down has the (4) number lock built in. The one you linked looks cheaper...if you want my opinion.

(4) self tapping screws and my safe was installed in 2 minutes. Fits perfectly.

I've had mine installed for a grand total of 22 hours and already love it.

4 number locker, easy to set, spring loaded...turn and it opens....high ratings and fits perfectly.

Here's a link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWXBOTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love this thing already. When I leave my vehicle I can put my GoPro/GPS/Gun in it and feel they are safe.

Good luck with your choice!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-527-ram-trucks-2010-current-security-console-insert.aspx

Tuffy Console Safe $129

But...you have to purchase the number lock separate (and install it)

Here's the Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-Trucks...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SP1N7EAPF711JNVXYMV8

And the 3 digit combo lock:

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-082-3-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=69XAQMFD9BTVJXQF9TVZ

I'm not sure of the brand name you're linking from eBay...but if its the same money..go with the Lock'er Down I linked. Lock'er Down is the brand name. Fits and works perfectly.

The Tuffy links will save you $100 but the number lock so-so from reviews...and you have to install it. I went with a pre-installed and it works perfectly.

Good luck with your choice....the Tuffy would be just fine if you want a key lock..but I wanted a numbered lock. My opinion!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Locker down also sells them for the " in floor storage" in the back seat floor board.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have the $129 Tuffy model in my 14 Sport. It differs from the more expensive units in-that it is not a totally enclosed box. It's as heavy a gauge steel and mounted the same as the other ones. I figured for $140 less, if they got either one out, the contents were gone.

I've had mine for over a year and ordered the key lock. By the time I set four numbers in a spot with poor light, I can get the key out of my pocket and open it.

So far, I'm very happy with it.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have mine for the same reasons that the OP is wanting one. While it's not a full-on gun "safe", it is much better than nothing at all. It gives an extra layer of security when you have to leave your firearm in the vehicle.

Nothing against purchasing one, but I'm a bit of a DIYer, so I just built my own.
I used 16 gage steel, just like the other ones, but I double layered the top so it's a little more robust. I was also able to make the door just a little bit wider(front to back) for easier access. Only thing I might change, would be to swap the hinge for one that's spring loaded.
e68312670ecd551485f2eff5c80588b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Locker down also sells them for the " in floor storage" in the back seat floor board.

Damned if I didn't know that was there? I think I noticed it once when I swapped my seats. Never opened it & damned if that wasn't a surprise. That is pretty big. You have a link for them by chance? I'll try to search for it

I do have a CD center console. IT seems all of these say for the ones without the CD. I did a center console for seat swap so I don't even have the CD player working. I don't use CD's either so could care less if I have it in there. Is there a way to make this work with the CD player? Just pull it/cut out that part?

Last edited:

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP
OP
J

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Lock'er Down in floor storage safe:

Floor Safe 2009 to 2017 Dodge Ram

Tuffy in floor storage cover (just a new locking cover):

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-509-ram-in-floor-storage-security-lid.aspx

$325 vs. $78. If I do the in floor storage I'll be doing just the Tuffy locking cover. Its covered up by the mat...so someone would actually have to know its there first..then break in.
Yeah I am ordering both the locking cover for the floor. As well as the locking cover under the rear seat. I'm going to try both of those before doing the center console one. Just because of the CD player in my center console causing a problem with the larger center console safe. If I do the safe I want to have the big one so need to be sure I can make it work.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Console Vault. Hands down the best!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lock'er Down makes a center console safe for a console with the factory CD player too.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
- wish my mega cab had the in floor storage-

OP
OP
J

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Lock'er Down makes a center console safe for a console with the factory CD player too.

They do but I noticed in a customer comment it had to br trimmed to fit. It is also quite a bit smaller than the one without the cd player. I'd rather have the larger space. I'll see how I like these other 2. The center console is more easily accessible. So I will probably end up with it as well.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the Tuffy floor storage cover but I also have a son that welds so I replaced the plastic/fiberglass (or whatever the actual floor storage box is made out of) with a steel one so I pretty much have a duplicate of the Lock'er Down safe now but for a lot less money. I figured why bother locking the floor storage if someone could just slide under the truck and kick the box apart. A little harder to do with 14 gauge steel.

OP
OP
J

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have the Tuffy floor storage cover but I also have a son that welds so I replaced the plastic/fiberglass (or whatever the actual floor storage box is made out of) with a steel one so I pretty much have a duplicate of the Lock'er Down safe now but for a lot less money. I figured why bother locking the floor storage if someone could just slide under the truck and kick the box apart. A little harder to do with 14 gauge steel.

I just went out under my truck to look at that. That is a pretty good idea. Heck it could even be a little bigger underneath there. I am going to look into that some more. Great idea. I could make a pretty legit safe under there

OP
OP
J

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Got the under seat security too from TUFF

Got my Tuff secure top for the under rear seat. Easy to install & seems very solid. It is well made & fits with no problems. I did have to remove the fold flat that sits under the seat. Only took 10min to install. I put my own lock on it & I feel confident in leaving my firearm in my truck now. More to come when I get the floor one

20170921_113157.jpg

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This was my concern with the Tuffy locking lid... wasn't sure about whether it might still be easy to just put a crow bar under the lid and pry the whole plastic frame/box out... or as you say, get at it from under the truck.

Based on the way the Locker Down is designed, it seems like it would be much harder to rip out... would you agree?