Center Console safe? Anyone have one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If someone has a crow bar...and really wants to get into your vehicle (and any cover or safe) there's not much thats going to stop them. I have the Lock'er Down console safe and its heavy duty...it secure enough for me.

The Tuffy cover looks good too...for the in floor storage. But...if someone even knew it was there they could get in by going underneath the truck and forcing their way in that way. But...like I said. They would have to know it was there 1st...and 2nd...have time to get underneath the vehicle.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: DVC

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If someone has a crow bar...and really wants to get into your vehicle (and any cover or safe) there's not much thats going to stop them. I have the Lock'er Down console safe and its heavy duty...it secure enough for me.

The Tuffy cover looks good too...for the in floor storage. But...if someone even knew it was there they could get in by going underneath the truck and forcing their way in that way. But...like I said. They would have to know it was there 1st...and 2nd...have time to get underneath the vehicle.

Just my thoughts.
I totally agree. I'm pretty much sold on a console safe (either ConsoleVault or Lock'erDown... haven't decided which, but leaning toward LD)

But I'm having a harder time justifying spending ~$700 on a pair of LD in-floor vaults. The Tuffy locking lids are a much cheaper alternative, but those seem only marginally more secure than a set of Mopar locks for the OEM lids (cheaper still) ... and the whole point of the in floor bins is that they're out of sight anyway, so any locks would really just be an additional deterrent for the casual sticky fingers opportunist who might stumble upon them.

I guess I really don't need 3 vaults in the truck anyway!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I decided to do anything with the rear under floor mat storage I'll just get a Tuffy cover for it. Like I said...the possibility that anyone would even know its there is small...then they'd need the time to get inside.

I have the Lock'er Down for my console...love it. I wanted the keyless entry (4 digit lock) and it works great. I put my H&K VP9 in there when its not on its gun magnet near my right knee. When I get out of my truck (if I don't want to carry it) I just put it in the console safe.

Reactions: DVC

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up ordering the Lock'er Down console safe (with the no-cost optional 4-digit combo lock). I talked to the owner, Bobby - really nice and helpful guy - and he mentioned that the 4-digit combo lock is what he has in his own truck. The reason being the flexibility of being able to turn the combo dials to actually lock it, or just close it without locking so that you can gain quick access by just twisting the combo latch. (By the way, if anyone's on the fence about buying one, there's a 10% discount code for Christmas... "jolly"

As for the rear storage bins, I ended up going with the Tuffy steel locking lids after all. I checked out the OEM plastic lids again, and they're so flexible that I don't think it's even worth adding locks to them; I honestly think I'd be able to rip the lid open with one hand.

At $78 each, the Tuffy lids are about 1/5 the cost of the Lock'er Down steel bins... and if someone's determined enough to get a crowbar under the Tuffy lid assembly and pry hard enough to bust loose the 4 bolts that hold it to the truck floor, then the same approach would also pry loose the entire steel Lock'er Down bin, which could then be taken and broken into elsewhere. So the Tuffy lids seem to strike the best balance of cost and security.

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-527-ram-trucks-2010-current-security-console-insert.aspx

Tuffy Console Safe $129

But...you have to purchase the number lock separate (and install it)

Here's the Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-Trucks...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SP1N7EAPF711JNVXYMV8

And the 3 digit combo lock:

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-082-3-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=69XAQMFD9BTVJXQF9TVZ

I'm not sure of the brand name you're linking from eBay...but if its the same money..go with the Lock'er Down I linked. Lock'er Down is the brand name. Fits and works perfectly.

The Tuffy links will save you $100 but the number lock so-so from reviews...and you have to install it. I went with a pre-installed and it works perfectly.

Good luck with your choice....the Tuffy would be just fine if you want a key lock..but I wanted a numbered lock. My opinion!

Thanks. Just looked this up and it appears an installed key lock comes with it.

Wings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't buy that one...buy this one:

KkcFtbB.jpg

Lock'er Down has the (4) number lock built in. The one you linked looks cheaper...if you want my opinion.

(4) self tapping screws and my safe was installed in 2 minutes. Fits perfectly.

I've had mine installed for a grand total of 22 hours and already love it.

4 number locker, easy to set, spring loaded...turn and it opens....high ratings and fits perfectly.

Here's a link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWXBOTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love this thing already. When I leave my vehicle I can put my GoPro/GPS/Gun in it and feel they are safe.

Good luck with your choice!

That's the one I have in my truck. Very happy with it.....

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What does the Lock'er Down offer at $100+ more than the Tuffy?

Edit; read in another post it doesn't have a bottom, so its not self enclosed...

Last edited:

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Awesome idea with the floor storage safe.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about getting one of these things for mine but I decided against it because I don’t think I’ll ever have a reason to leave a gun in in the truck when I’m not in it and number two, it’s pretty involved putting one of these safes in the console so I’d think you’d have to want one pretty bad to go through with getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about getting one of these things for mine but I decided against it because I don’t think I’ll ever have a reason to leave a gun in in the truck when I’m not in it and number two, it’s pretty involved putting one of these safes in the console so I’d think you’d have to want one pretty bad to go through with getting one.

I installed mine in about 90 seconds.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought about getting one of these things for mine but I decided against it because I don’t think I’ll ever have a reason to leave a gun in in the truck when I’m not in it..........

While it’s a somewhat rare occurrence, I do have to occasionally pick up my kids from school. In order to stay legal, my firearm has to be secured inside the vehicle, and I like the extra piece of mind that the locking console vault provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While it’s a somewhat rare occurrence, I do have to occasionally pick up my kids from school. In order to stay legal, my firearm has to be secured inside the vehicle, and I like the extra piece of mind that the locking console vault provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I can respectfully understand that but hopefully someday it won’t no longer be considered illegal if you don’t disarm first.

But then again until that day comes, concealed is concealed in my opinion and unless it’s a place that does random searches or uses X-ray, then at that point I’d just leave my gun in the vehicle under the seat outta sight and outta mind for the short period I’m in there for. Just wouldn’t be enough justification to me to get one of those safes unless it’s for long-term storage which I’ve already stated I’m not an advocate of anyway.