changing silver accents to black?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedroghne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 sport and I love the interior but hate that there is silver trim on the radio bezel and console bezel. had anyone change the color on there's or know if the silver pieces will come off to paint or wrap. I'd like to make them gloss black

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2014 ram 1500 sport and I love the interior but hate that there is silver trim on the radio bezel and console bezel. had anyone change the color on there's or know if the silver pieces will come off to paint or wrap. I'd like to make them gloss black
Yes the piece around your center console shifter or Cupholder (whichever one you have) aswell as the trim around the radio pops off.

I'm getting the last few parts I need to swap out my jump seat for a center console in my 2012 Ram Reg Cab. The used center console I bought had the silver on it but it was scratched up. Because of this i got a really good deal on it and I ended up wrapping it in gloss black vinyl. Once i can find a reasonably priced radio bezel I'll be wrapping the colored parts to make it match.

I think it came out looking really good.

482e7906e328f50d9da28daf8cd87c31.jpg
549d786ae02d2a61953d1e10e97c4b53.jpg
9c17da173fbab1d6dcc0b0c6ad7cdf6f.jpg

This is what it looked like.
a3c1369947365e2d84110d032eecfdd7.jpg

Sent from hell via TapATalk

OP
OP
P

pedroghne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
some pretty much all the silver trim from radio to center consol just pops off? do u have pics of just the pieces when u wrapped them?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
some pretty much all the silver trim from radio to center consol just pops off? do u have pics of just the pieces when u wrapped them?
If you search "ram center console" on ebay you can find the pieces by themselves.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I'm not sure that it just pops off around the radio on the 2013 and up rams. Haven't tried though, but also have not seen any threads saying that it does

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The outside of that bezel that is silver or gold come off as the complete bezel from the dash. Still should be easy enough to paint or wrap

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like what you did to this.
I have my parts for my column to console shift conversion and there are scratches and scuffs on these as well. May I ask what brand of wrap you used? I have another broken bezel that I am considering trying out some different paints on as well.

Thanks ,
Mike

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I like what you did to this.
I have my parts for my column to console shift conversion and there are scratches and scuffs on these as well. May I ask what brand of wrap you used? I have another broken bezel that I am considering trying out some different paints on as well.

Thanks ,
Mike
It was wrapped by RamForums.com Forum Member - Disturbed - before I bought it. Long story short it had a big scratch and our conversation led to him saying he does vinyl work and he ended up wrapping it for me for free. Then on top of that, when we met up for me to buy the console, he gave me about 5 foot by 5 foot of black vinyl. I believe it's Oracle brand maybe? Not sure but I can check if you want me too. Any vinyl will work. Pep Boys sells rolls of vinyl for $15 and it's enough to cover the silver parts of the radio bezel and center console.

I FINALLY found myself a 09-12 radio bezel for center console trucks on ebay that wasn't $200+.

I'm going to wrap the silver parts on this bezel as soon as it arrives. Which should be this Saturday most likely.

8bd89cbc1a6dea9c9a50163e0251bc96.jpg

Once this gets here I will have everything I need to swap out my jump seat for the console. Which means I'll soon have a 2012 jump seat + radio bezel + cup holder posted in the for sale section on here as soon as I'm done the swap. I'll be pricing it super low just to get rid of it all.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
how much was the bezel?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
how much was the bezel?
So you'll never believe what just happened.

A few days ago I found a silver and black bezel for $150 and I submitted a "best offer" of $100. The seller counter offered $135. I counter offered that with $110. That was almost 3 days ago.

Well.....
c6be5f319869000d2baca3a4942206fa.jpg^^^^ The one on the right is the bezel I clicked "buy it now". The one of the left is the "best offer" I submitted for a bezel days ago.

I forgot I even made that counter offer because it was days ago. I ended up clicking buy it now on a different bezel for $125.

Can you believe only 16 minutes later the fricken dude accepts my counter offer of $110.

Now I'm stuck with 2 fricken bezels. I messaged the dude for the $110 and told him I hadn't heard from him so I went and bought a different bezel. I'm sure he's gonna be super pissed and report me for non-payment but whatever... I'm not buying a second one. He shouldn't have waited almost 3 days to respond to the offer.

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. :)
Yes you got a good deal as well on the bezel. Your luck is like mine on ebay. The guy I bought mine from sent me a cracked one. Not like in the picture. OOPS!! Just received a good one last night. Still has some minor scratches so I am going to try the wrap option.
Thanks again,
Mike

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the info. :)
Yes you got a good deal as well on the bezel. Your luck is like mine on ebay. The guy I bought mine from sent me a cracked one. Not like in the picture. OOPS!! Just received a good one last night. Still has some minor scratches so I am going to try the wrap option.
Thanks again,
Mike
Yea I just wait until I find the right deal. It's not like I broke something and couldn't drive til it was fixed. I've been searching for a bezel for 3 weeks now. So glad I finally found one.

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was able to take off all the silver pieces and wrap them in wood grain, I also did the door piece .
31acfbbfd03ff5790162ca2b3bf3a5a8.jpg
fba5d0ea9febcb6d1afcf275a96e7879.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was able to take off all the silver pieces and wrap them in wood grain, I also did the door piece .
31acfbbfd03ff5790162ca2b3bf3a5a8.jpg
fba5d0ea9febcb6d1afcf275a96e7879.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a 09-12 style so I think it's gonna be different in terms of if it comes apart or not.

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I decided to try and repair the broken bezel as a practice if I decide to paint my accent colors instead of wrap. Here are a few before and after on the right edge crack.
MK
before still some fill to go
bezel2.jpg

After
bezel2a.jpg

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I decided to try and repair the broken bezel as a practice if I decide to paint my accent colors instead of wrap. Here are a few before and after on the right edge crack.
MK
before still some fill to go
bezel2.jpg

After
bezel2a.jpg
Wow bro you can't even tell it was cracked. What did you use to do this??? Looks amazing.

What paint did you use?

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow bro you can't even tell it was cracked. What did you use to do this??? Looks amazing.

What paint did you use?
Thanks,
I started with a light wet sanding of 400 grit paper. Had to stabilize the crack first. Not easy to do as the plastic on these are vinyl based and have oil in them and nothing sticks to it well. Still trying to find the right process for that? What you see in the picture is actually still cracked somewhat. I think it will need a thin strip on the back and heat welded to really stabilize this.

The process:

I used Tamiya plastic model White spot putty to fill (# TAM87095). wet sand with a 400grit paper and refill and sand until it is smooth. clean with alcohol.

Then I sprayed Testors Silver 1830 Diamond Dust Lacquer rattle can ( it is designed for plastic). Must be shaken well. Also very light coats from about 13 inches away, any closer and it will run. Add about 4 to 5 coats, let dry between each (about 15mins) It will nib up somewhat DO NOT SAND COLOR COAT If the nibs are a problem use a paper towel dry to knock them off it has the abrasive quality of about 30K grit.

Then I spayed Tamiya Semi Gloss Lacquer for plastic models #TAM85079. This you can spray a little heavier but be careful. Allow to dry like the color coat. I used about 3 coats. This morning it is cured up nicely and after about a week should be as good if not better than the original finish.

Now the metalflake in this is slightly larger than the original finish if you look close but from a foot away or farther there is no discernable difference. If I were to choose to to do as remove scratches I would most likely do the entire areas so they would definitely match. But I'm ocd abiout stuff like that. :)
my only real gripe is I cannot get this in large enough quantity at a reasonable cost to use my spray rig. as I hate using rattle cans. I would have better control of my pattern and coverage.

Mike

edited to add: I tried the heat weld using a 30 watt soldering iron with a small backer strip of plastic. Worked fine. just have to be careful not to burn through.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's what I did to mine. Painted them the same color as the truck- Hunter Green. Also did the heat vent surrounds as well. Looks cool....... Painted my shifter trim ring flat black. I'm not a fan of shiny things. Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_8422.jpg
    IMG_8422.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8426.jpg
    IMG_8426.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8427.jpg
    IMG_8427.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 58

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's what I did to mine. Painted them the same color as the truck- Hunter Green. Also did the heat vent surrounds as well. Looks cool....... Painted my shifter trim ring flat black. I'm not a fan of shiny things. Go figure.
What brand and style of paint did you use? And what was your process. It came out looking really nice, i like the finish on it. Im looking to do something similar but unsure of what paint to use and whay clear coat to use.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963