Crew cab rear air vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
Does anyone have this same issue. When I use the vent up front for A/C hardly any air comes out throw the rear vents. I use high air flow and recirculating. I do not have a center console I have the bench seat.

Wrigley17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same problem here, turn on floor and main vent ducts, you will get slightly more air in the back because of the vents under the seats

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Yes, air flow is weak in back.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Funny this thread popped up because I flipped on the a/c and got in the back to change my clothes yesterday. I noticed the air was very weak coming out the back. Better from under the driver seat than the vents on the center console. Having had all the seats out last week, I can attest that the coupling on the ducts, especially the one from the floor to the duct that runs on the bottom of the center console, is very poor.

Twotwenty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram
Engine
3.6L
Sometimes I close the 2 middle ones in the front and that forces more air to the rear

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea my wife is always complaining about it she sits in the back with the baby

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I've complained about this to my dealer and to cust support. The mechanics claim its working to spec, but when I did my test drive before ordering my 1500 they were nice and strong!

Closing the front vents in the summer is NOT an option, and for a $60k, this shouldn't be an issue in the first place!!!

Has anybody found anything to help?

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Bumping this as I'm still stuck with low air flow and summer will be here before we know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 13 Longhorn doesn't blow much air to the back either. Guess they figured the fronts would be enough to get back there.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
A fan can only produce so much volume of air flow. The farther it travels, the weaker the flow will become.
Either close the middle two front dash vents or restrict the opening size. Use the recirc option will also create more air flow.
Remove the front seats and carpet, tape up the connections. i did that when I sound proofed and ti really made a difference.

Generally, I will aim the middle two, wide opened, up as high as they will go and straight back, and tend to reduce the opening on the furthest outside vents.
That cold air is wasted trying to keep side glass cool/

Using recirc does the most good, though.

Last edited:

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I tried recirculate, center vents closed, lots of noise but really weak air.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently noticed this too. The middle vent in the rear is strongest if using only the top vents, but still pretty weak imo.

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I talked to fca and tried a different dealer. They said it blows out similar to other trucks. I asked what the spec was for the airflow, they didn't have one, they use their hand! Fca said they can't do anything more since the star engineer said it is working.

Everybody ready for summer with our wimpy rear air vents?

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A fan can only produce so much volume of air flow. The farther it travels, the weaker the flow will become.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This !!!!!!!!!!

I would bet if you had the ability to check the rear vent flow in a Ford and Chevy Crew Cabs you would find they have similar flow.

If you point the center dash vents straight back to the rear your rear seat passengers should get plenty of air and as gofishn said use recirculating setting.