Cure for dash rattles or squeaks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have that dreaded rattle in the dash. It sounds like it is either coming from the center of the dash all the way to the extreme passenger side of the dash. Part
of the problem is I bought this truck used and the 2 dealerships near me aren't that great. If I would have bought this truck new with these rattles they would be eating it!
Below is a list of what I have done:
Pulled upper glove box, Put 1/4" weatherstripping wrapped around the wire looms. While the glove box was out electrical taped the nut that holds it in place. Noticed that the Glove box had a brace towards about 6" away (towards outside) from the nut. This was hitting the wiring harness that runs across the lower dash. Weather stripped that too! Pulled passenger door apart and weather stripped all the tongue and groove parts to keep door tighter. Weather stripped the jack door.
It is obvious that some of this has worked. I still have a dreaded rattle and now it doesn't do it as often but when it does it is a horribly loud drone.
I am beginning to wonder if it isn't in the dash. I know on my previous Dodges some of the rattles came from far away. Like the inner fender rubbing.

That cowl between the hood and the windshield is a noisy little **** too.
What would be your next step?
1. Pull the radio out? Can I get to anything worth while to tie down or isolate from there?
2. Start isolating things under the hood?
TIA!

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I am anxiously awaiting the answers to this question, as I too have a bad rattle on passenger side. I have done the door panel work like u did and cannot find anything loose.

OP
OP
R

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I had more than one rattle in the dash. I put foam between the upper glove box and metal support. If you follow the passenger side air condition duct along the top there is a small wire harness clipped to the duct. I put weather stripping on there. Between that and the foam at the glove box I only rattle to the right of the radio. That side is tomorrow nights project

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it the same noise as this one? Skip to 0:45 for the worst of it.

[yt]PIccsiQzLR0[/yt]

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
On my 2013, I put two 10 inch sub with 1400 watts of power total. I have a mean rattle on the stereo bezel at the bottom. If I put pressure on it, it stops. Try that and see if it stops. If so (I haven't tried anything yet) I think some type of sound deadner around the edges and screw hole might fix this.

OP
OP
R

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
emjohn
That was one of them. It is also the last one I think I have left in the dash to figure out. I pulled the radio out this afternoon and behind the radio you can see the AC ductwork for the 2 center and the vent for the middle defroster . The space between the left AC vent and middle defrost was easy to stuff. There is a larger void between the passenger side vent and middle defrost vent. I did stuff it but not as much as I would like. So far it is the quietest my truck has been but the true test will be the road to my sons school is on in the morning.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
My main rattle ended up being my passenger side inner fender hitting the bottom of my S and B CAI. It was actually so flimsy that the part next to the bolts on the bottom of the intake is where it was hitting. It was kinda flexing. Tightened the bolts more, put some spray foam between the CAI and the inner fender (not too much), and then it was still hitting the frame on bottom of inner fender. Put some pipe insulation foam there and rattle was completely gone. It was also hitting on the top of coil spring bolts. Put some foam there also. Now all I have is the same sounding rattle that the video had in it, except that mine sounds like it is coming from farther over to the right side of truck. Same exact sound tho. I can't find anything loose and pressing on things do not make it go away. Any more ideas?

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My main rattle ended up being my passenger side inner fender hitting the bottom of my S and B CAI. It was actually so flimsy that the part next to the bolts on the bottom of the intake is where it was hitting. It was kinda flexing. Tightened the bolts more, put some spray foam between the CAI and the inner fender (not too much), and then it was still hitting the frame on bottom of inner fender. Put some pipe insulation foam there and rattle was completely gone. It was also hitting on the top of coil spring bolts. Put some foam there also. Now all I have is the same sounding rattle that the video had in it, except that mine sounds like it is coming from farther over to the right side of truck. Same exact sound tho. I can't find anything loose and pressing on things do not make it go away. Any more ideas?

There is a "similar" noise that comes from the rubber tray on the passenger side right under the HVAC vent on my truck. I need to stickey tape it down.

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found my "under center dash rattle". It was the wiring going from the throttle pedal. It was hitting on the side of the blower box. I simply moved it out of the way and BAM no more darn rattle.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
I'm getting a rattle/squeaky. I find when I have vent blower on windshield /foot and hit bumps I get a rattle but if I switch it to upper and lower vents facing occupant No rattle, what could this be?

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same thing but only durning cold temps outside
If I turn the heat on defrost, once it's upto temp inside the truck it goes away
And if I press on the center of the dash it sounds like double sided adhesive tape
I've wondered if I take the radio out could I get to it?

bigfoot2219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My stance is if you bought it used, or your warranty is up the only solution may be amplified speakers and an exhaust system. The other option is to trade up, but that option costs much more money. As others have said you can try isolating the noises and going from there to find the source of the rattles. Best of luck, hope you resolve it. My son with a Hyundai can attest to the frustration of rattles. His 2011 is hardly better than a rolling bb bucket in comparison to these rams.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought my truck new. No issues. Well on the way home I noticed that on the passenger's side at the front of the dash/windshield/A pillar trim, there was a gap. I took it to the local dealer and they fixed it. Bent down metal piece that had to be betn back up and the dash centered on again. No more gap. But now, when I go down the road and hit a bump/bumps, it rattles like crazy in that area. I had my girlfriend hold down the front trim and it seems to stop it mostly. Does anyone know how hard it is to get that front trim piece off without taking most of the dash off? I cannot find anything online or a guide of how to take it off. I'm wanting to get some weather stripping and see if I can use it and tape up there to make it stiffer and hold it still. I would go to the dealer again and say fix it, cause it is under warranty. But the dealer is HORRIBLE and the guy that fixed the dash made 3 nice holes in my A Pillar trim while using a pick it seems and I have two little black stains in my seat where he didn't cover the seat/clean his hands. A hole.

Islandtsi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have any luck with the dealer actually addressing a rattle under warranty? I've got a bad creak in the centre console, brand new truck

Dom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
After having purchased a new Ram a few years ago and having no issues, I decided to purchase another. I recently purchased a new 2016 Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7 liter. During the extensive test drive on many roads and different surfaces I did not notice anything squeaks or rattles.

However, around the 700 mile mark the truck began to squeak and rattle under the dash and inside the front passenger door. Well having worked in the auto industry, I knew that it was pointless to return to the dealer with my concerns as they are not going to pay a tech $45.00 dollars and hour to isolate the problem/'s.

When I looked under the dash what I noticed was that during the assembly process someone decided to use some "cheap" electrical tape that doesn't have the nice rubbery stretchy texture like good quality 3M electrical tape has. As a result, regardless of what it touches's it squeaks. So what I did was cut it all off and replaced it with good quality 3M electrical tape, no more squeaks. This was also the problem with the squeak inside the door as well.

The second issue I noted, was that when the wiring harness was attached to the truck it was poorly secured allowing it to bounce around causing rattles. The fix for this was good quality "zip" ties.

And last but not least, the elusive squeak heard in the video. This was the biggest pain of all to find. For this, I had to seek the assistance of my wife. I had her drive around while I stuck my head underneath the dash so that I could isolate the problem. What I found was that the noise (IN THE VIDEO) is caused by the heater blower motor housing being to close to the firewall on the truck. To verify that this is the problem in your truck, have someone drive your truck while you sit in the passenger seat. Reach under the dash and while driving down the road and while the noise in the video can be heard, pull the heater blower motor housing away from the firewall "towards you" and you will note that the noise disappears.

But here's the cheap and easy fix! I purchased a packet of hard plastic wedges (Menards/Home Depot), the type that you would use when installing doors or windows on your home. Next, I pulled back the carpeting in the area below the heater blower motor housing to give me access to the area between the housing and the firewall. I then wedged in the appropriate amount of wedges in that area until the noise was gone. I then drilled two small pilot holes through the wedges and the firewall and secured them in place to the firewall using two self tapping metal screws to ensure that they would not fall out or turn. The truck now has 1200 miles on it and the exact noise heard in the video has never returned.

I hope this helps.

(please let me know if this worked for you).

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
^^^ For that being your first post...I applaud you