Dash Cover or Sun Shade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Obviously a sun shade is the quick fix to protecting the dash from the sun and heat in the truck. Obviously it will cost significantly less.

Has anyone ever tried a dash cover like those from Coverking?

The dash cover would be more of a custom look, as they are made for the exact vehicle.

Dash cover? or Sun shade? Thoughts?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see how a dash cover would look good with our complex multi-faceted dash design.

I use a sun shade and keep a healthy coat of Natural Shine (Meguire's) on it.

OP
OP
Picton

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't see how a dash cover would look good with our complex multi-faceted dash design.

I use a sun shade and keep a healthy coat of Natural Shine (Meguire's) on it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Apparently they make the dash covers for our trucks I just haven't found a picture of one yet.

I like your method...simple...effective. Thanks Greg.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I say no on the dash cover unless you plan on placing knitted lace cup holders on it. ;)

The shade is a faster, easier, better fitting option, IMHO.

OP
OP
Picton

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I say no on the dash cover unless you plan on placing knitted lace cup holders on it. ;)
The shade is a faster, easier, better fitting option, IMHO.

Lol...yeah. Thanks Dog.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No worries, man. Always willing to add my demented opinion to the conversation.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
ive seen a dash cover in the 4th gen at a show they look like crap so go sunshade lol

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not a fan of dash covers and I like the look of the stock interior. Sunshade would be my choice.

Having said that, I just use a regularly applied coat of Meguire's with UV inhibitors. That way I don't have to deal with the shades. In my opinion, the materials used in the dash manufacturing are pretty good compared to what they used to be and last well with cleaning and protectant.

Back in the day, dashes would fade and crack in just a couple years, but not so much anymore.

OP
OP
Picton

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cool. Thanks for the help there guys...I just ordered my custom fit sun shade.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
another vote for sun shade

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Seen the dash cover, it looks like crap. They put a nice leather dash in these babies, no need to cover it up. Walmart and auto stores sell sun shades for cheap. Or you can order a nicer one. Plus the shade will keep your truck cooler and keep people from looking in.

Lets recap:

Sun shade:
Looks better
People can't see in your vehicle
Keeps truck cool
Keeps dash looking new!

Dash cover:
...looks like crap

:********:

Last edited:

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have info on what the best/easiest dash shade to use? I'd maybe prefer a custom one if they work better. I once looked up a shade, and there were two choices and they recommended the smaller of the two. I guess there are bigger dodge trucks out there. Sound right?

res1551cue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have info on what the best/easiest dash shade to use? I'd maybe prefer a custom one if they work better. I once looked up a shade, and there were two choices and they recommended the smaller of the two. I guess there are bigger dodge trucks out there. Sound right?

To be honest, I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find a sunshade that fits the truck right. I would try and go for a custom one as it is built to fit directly for the specified truck versus trying to find a universal one. I bought a dash cover (I know it does look ridiculous) but because I couldnt find a decent shade that fit the truck (either too small or two big) and because my rear view mirror gets in the way it was the quickest and easiest way to protect the dash. Also one thing I dont like about my 2012 is that my dash is 4 different colors. Another reason for the dash cover.

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest, I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find a sunshade that fits the truck right. I would try and go for a custom one as it is built to fit directly for the specified truck versus trying to find a universal one. I bought a dash cover (I know it does look ridiculous) but because I couldnt find a decent shade that fit the truck (either too small or two big) and because my rear view mirror gets in the way it was the quickest and easiest way to protect the dash. Also one thing I dont like about my 2012 is that my dash is 4 different colors. Another reason for the dash cover.

Yeah.....WeatherTech has a custom one.... .but for 70 bucks.
I think I may try to trim one of the ones I have and maybe use duct tape on any frayed edges.

res1551cue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah.....WeatherTech has a custom one.... .but for 70 bucks.
I think I may try to trim one of the ones I have and maybe use duct tape on any frayed edges.

CoverKing offers them for around $40.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Adams Leather Conditioner with an SPF 60 to protect the dash and other plastic, vinyl, and leather is what I use and then when it's parked I have a custom fit sun shield I put in the front window when it's parked. All my other windows are tinted!

res1551cue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adams Leather Conditioner with an SPF 60 to protect the dash and other plastic, vinyl, and leather is what I use and then when it's parked I have a custom fit sun shield I put in the front window when it's parked. All my other windows are tinted!

Where did you get your sun shield? My windows are tinted as well and even at night my truck sits at about 150* inside. Cant have too dark of window tint on military installations or they flip out.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Where did you get your sun shield? My windows are tinted as well and even at night my truck sits at about 150* inside. Cant have too dark of window tint on military installations or they flip out.

Pretty sure I ordered it from AutoAnything (Vendor here).

They're not cheap, but I've had one for my G8 for a few years and I LOVE it.

My G8 is black on black... HOLY HOT BATMAN!

Peti817

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
thanks for the tip on the Meguiars Natural Shine! The Texas heat & sun has no mercy for my truck :(:(