Dash Help Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys,

So, I bought a 2014 brand new from a dealership that is almost 2 hours from my home. Almost got home and I noticed that the dash and A pillar trim on the passenger's side don't mesh. There is a freaking GAP! It isn't something you would notice, unless you know it is there, and I know it is there. So I went to the local Ram dealership here at home. The service department there SUCKS! They told me to take it to another dealer cause they only have one trim guy. I told them I couldn't/wouldn't do that cause they have to do warranty work on it (I'm pretty sure they are just pissy I didn't buy from them cause he asked me why I went somewhere else, PRICE BUDDY!!!!) Anyways, he (the service "MANAGER") basically told me it would take 3 or 4 days to get photos, get Chrysler to approve the repair, and get it fixed. And he told me he couldn't get me a truck to drive while they have my vehicle. So I'm wondering if this is something I can fix in a few hours this weekend so I don't have to deal with these knuckle heads? I'll attach photos to see if anyone can give some advice....THANKS!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 156

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys,

So, I bought a 2014 brand new from a dealership that is almost 2 hours from my home. Almost got home and I noticed that the dash and A pillar trim on the passenger's side don't mesh. There is a freaking GAP! It isn't something you would notice, unless you know it is there, and I know it is there. So I went to the local Ram dealership here at home. The service department there SUCKS! They told me to take it to another dealer cause they only have one trim guy. I told them I couldn't/wouldn't do that cause they have to do warranty work on it (I'm pretty sure they are just pissy I didn't buy from them cause he asked me why I went somewhere else, PRICE BUDDY!!!!) Anyways, he (the service "MANAGER") basically told me it would take 3 or 4 days to get photos, get Chrysler to approve the repair, and get it fixed. And he told me he couldn't get me a truck to drive while they have my vehicle. So I'm wondering if this is something I can fix in a few hours this weekend so I don't have to deal with these knuckle heads? I'll attach photos to see if anyone can give some advice....THANKS!

From the way it looks, the "factory" person didn't seat the A pillar cover correctly during the build. I've had both my A pillar covers off to run additional wiring numerous times. A couple times after I've put the cover back in I've noticed that everything wasn't seated correctly.

I would think you could remove the A pillar cover and correctly seat it in short time. You have to carefully pry open the bolt covers with a small trim tool or screw driver to access the bolts. I think, if I remember correctly, it takes a 10mm socket to remove the bolts. A good "yank" will remove the A pillar cover. When re-installing, start at the bottom to make sure the tabs are fully inserted and work your way up.

Shouldn't take long at all. Make sure the weather stripping is over the A pillar cover and everything should snap into place. Too bad the Service Advisor didn't take the time to make you happy and gain your business. Good luck and let us know how your "self-fix" goes.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
From the way it looks, the "factory" person didn't seat the A pillar cover correctly during the build. I've had both my A pillar covers off to run additional wiring numerous times. A couple times after I've put the cover back in I've noticed that everything wasn't seated correctly.

I would think you could remove the A pillar cover and correctly seat it in short time. You have to carefully pry open the bolt covers with a small trim tool or screw driver to access the bolts. I think, if I remember correctly, it takes a 10mm socket to remove the bolts. A good "yank" will remove the A pillar cover. When re-installing, start at the bottom to make sure the tabs are fully inserted and work your way up.

Shouldn't take long at all. Make sure the weather stripping is over the A pillar cover and everything should snap into place. Too bad the Service Advisor didn't take the time to make you happy and gain your business. Good luck and let us know how your "self-fix" goes.

Thanks bud. Hopefully this'll work and the top of the dash won't need to come off. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and see what happens. Yea the service department at the local dealership has a BAD rep around here about not wanting to help people. It has actually turned some guys I know away from Ram all together and they have Fords now.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yep, just pop and re-seat starting at the bottom like the 2nd poster said. It's easy.

Those dealer techs sometimes rush these jobs and will scratch up the trim while popping it with metal tools in a hurry.

Damn that quality control department.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I went and looked at it and it is going to be the top of the dash that isn't seating right. I can stick my fingers between the foam weather stripping between the dash and windshield on that side and I can kind of push the corner of the dash down. Guess I'm gunna have to deal with a sorry service manager. Maybe there is a way I can get in touch with Ram and let them know of the service if things go badly....

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know it's 2 hrs, but you may have better luck finding a day to take it back to the original dealer. Since you're at such a distance, they may do it for you in one trip, or at least give you a loaner car to drive while they fix it.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know it's 2 hrs, but you may have better luck finding a day to take it back to the original dealer. Since you're at such a distance, they may do it for you in one trip, or at least give you a loaner car to drive while they fix it.

I stopped by the local dealership yesterday to try and talk to them and see about getting the photos and paperwork started and asked if they would give me a loaner while they had it a few days. Well, I guess going in UNIFORM changes people's opinions about you cause I got treated a totally different way this time. This time it was "yes sir this and that" and "of course we will get you a loaner and you drive it as much as you need to while we have yours". Sad. But at least I'll have my dash fixed and a loaner now....