does the back seat fold down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please some pics if you've done this, I've heard without metal work in our 4th gens it's impossible.

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
If you use spacers and trim the tap you say the seat back will release when the bottom is raised but the problem I see with this is what if you want to have the bottom seat up cuz you got stuff to carry then is the seat back just gonna fall down on its own?

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So from what I am reading, I can just use the spacers to raise my seat to fit deeper mounting subs? Does this mod affect the seat when lifting the bottom?

Brearlymason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is all over the other forums. I just bought a section of 5/8" outer dimension tube steel and cut it to length. I haven't installed them yet though. I am storing some of my emergency kit behind the upper seat back.

jkaehler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried this yesterday, I have the 5/8th spacers from FOx acoustics, and my seat still doesn't fold forward, not sure what I could have did wrong, but just using those spacers did not work for me. Easy to put them in though.

tysondodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think on my 2011, I had to go larger than 5/8th. If I can remember back that far, I think I used 1". But, it works perfectly.

Ichibaninu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried this yesterday, I have the 5/8th spacers from FOx acoustics, and my seat still doesn't fold forward, not sure what I could have did wrong, but just using those spacers did not work for me. Easy to put them in though.

I have the same spacers on 2012 and it will fold forward but it will only do it while lifting the bottom of the seat, the bottom needs to be about half way up and pull forward on the seat back...

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
So, to all who are interested in doing this little project. TXKid said the 5/8ths are all you need, so perhaps it varies a little in the 4th gens based on year, because I put in a 3/4 in spacer, and it was not enough. I think someone above stated they put in a 1 in, and it worked. Based on my examination of the hooks, I think a 1 in spacer would be adequate, however even with just a 3/4 in spacer under mine right now, the bolts are at the limit, i.e. if I was going to put in a taller spacer I would need new seat bolts that were at least 1/4 in longer. Also, the head rest gently brushes the roof of my truck now that the seat is 3/4 in higher, and I suspect a 1 in rise would cause it to brush, not so gently.

There are a couple bonuses to doing this though. First off, 3/4 in makes a BIG difference in what you can store under the back seat in the little space behind the fold flat floor while still allowing the seat cushion to come down without having to force it. Secondly, if you have thick-ish floor mats like the stock rubber ones your fold flat floor will now be flat, other than in the middle where it will now be low. One more spacer should fix that, and I will be much happier since it was always leaned back up to this point. Another thing is that it slightly changes the angle of the seat cushions relative to one another making the back seat more comfortable, plus sitting higher gives you a little more leg room (vertical shift), which in my quad cab is an valuable asset.

Here is what I did with mine though. I put in a 3/4 in spacer, and then trimmed about 1/4 in off the hooks on the back of the seat. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel, but there isn't a lot of material there, so you could probably just use a set of bolt cutters. Once this was done the seat indeed folds forward, and the hooks lock it upright when the cushion is fully down, or fully up. However, when folding the cushion up, or down the seat back does try to fall forward, so if you want a "hidden" storage space you will need to use bungee cords or something to restrain the seat-back during folding. If you don't really care, putting your hand against it while folding will more than suffice.

The spacer I used was a 3/4 in thick piece of particle board with acrylic on both sides. I cut four strips 1.5 in x 13 in, and drilled three holes in each down the center line (3/4 in from both sides). The holes were 3/4 in from the end, 2 in from the end, and 12 in from the end. The 2 in dimension is slightly estimated, so I recommend re-measuring the placement of the anchoring pin to determine the exact location of the third hole. Then, bolt it in, and trim the back hooks.

Hope this is helpful info.

Doc Zoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the ones on my Mega Cab do. You could put a twin size mattress back there!

tommy271

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just added the spacers to the rear seat. (stack of 7/16 washers). kinda of useless. seats dont lay flat but it does seems to make the back seat more comfortable. takes about 30 min.

Vancouver604

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Just added the spacers to the rear seat. (stack of 7/16 washers). kinda of useless. seats dont lay flat but it does seems to make the back seat more comfortable. takes about 30 min.

Pics?

moledodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DAT HEMIIIIIII 5.7
Glad I found this thread can't wait to do this mod

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as a heads up, I bought the wood spacers from Fox acoustics and they didn't allow the seat to fold down. I then added a single washer in addition to the spacers and the seats still don't fold down.

I suppose some folks are unlucky and have hooks where it won't work, and my usual bad luck made it so I was one of those people.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Fox spacers worked for a truck we had in a shop over the weekend. You had to find the sweetspot but it worked.

utahbill

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better IMO would be the rear seat bottom slides forward, seat back part follows it down, so you can have a bed...
I am old, comfort is desired...