Dogs in the Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On vacation ATM and am thinking about taking a little fishing trip. To do so, have to bring the mutt. Dog has never been in the Ram. Kinda worried he is gonna scratch up the plastics.

Anybody have that issue or are these trucks pretty resistant to critter claws?

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to reread that like 4 times before I believed that I'm actually worrying about a dog scratching up my interior. Kinda makes me miss my old trucks but what ya gonna do.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have 3 bird dogs.....2 Brittanies and a Gordon Setter.......last weekend they all were in the back seat of the Longhorn......I mentally crapped myself thinking about them ruining the leather etc.

In all our vehicles we use the Mud River seat cover......it is bullet proof as far as dog nails go. It can and will protect what ever it covers. We then utilized some moving blankets from Harbor Freight to protect some other bits. We also limit how far they move with some "dog seat belts" when they are in our cars.

https://mudriverdogproducts.com/product/two-barrel-double-seat-cover/

I have an ARE topper on order and then they will go in crates in the back, but they are used to both crates and the back seat.

The rig came through without any issues.......but if your dog is a chewer etc. then I'm not sure what I would do lol

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm more worried about toe nails on door panels as he hangs his head out the window. Got a big blanket I'm gonna wrap mummy style on the seat and center console.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dog(s) generally travel in a crate. When crate is out for room for people, mine will sit on the front passenger side floor. This is just from river(kayaking) back to other vehicles or camp. Now that I'm back in a pick-up I might place crate in bed-secured for river runs.
A dog hanging its head out is fun but not safe.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I have a 70lb black lab mix that rides with me just about everywhere. I have never covered the door panels or center console, and they have held up fine to him walking form the front to the back seat. We have had him in the truck on short trips to the gas station, and 2400 mile round trip road trips. I used to be worried about him tearing it up as well, but it has held up great. If you are going to cover the seats and console with a blanket, then you are good to go.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was nervous about putting our dogs in the back seat too... they won't ride in the bed. I put the seat up and use the fold flat floor. Then put down a seat protector on the floor, mainly to keep the dog hair out of the carpet. They haven't scratched up any of the plastic on the panels... yet. I saw a seat cover on Amazon that I'm thinking about getting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink21284-20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always kept my dogs in the bed, Except for when I moved and had a Golden Retriever and a White lab in the back for 11 hours. Only problem was hair everywhere and everywhere

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I picked up a dog seat cover on amazon for my 90lb Dutch Shepard/Black Lab mix, a bit more on the pricey side than the one EagleChief linked to, but I can say that any quality cover is a worthy investment for dog owners. You can configure it into a type of hammock by attaching one end to the front headrests (if that makes sense) which I really liked bc I don't want him falling in between the seats if I have to slam on the breaks for whatever reason. Amazon also sells door panel ones as well, seemed to have pretty good reviews, I didn't pick those up though bc my dog doesn't put his paws up on the armrests to stick his head out the windows. anyways its been a great product, machine washable, water proof for drool, yada yada yada. highly recommend it, just my .2

heres the link, the extra large fits our back seats, its on sale for 100 bones right now (if you can justify the price its a good buy). think I paid 120...http://http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQFZGZ0?psc=1

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Op,

Cover the seats ad be done with it. It's a truck. If your that worried about the scratches get some of that 3m clear paint protector and stick to the panels.

preachp

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Op,

Cover the seats ad be done with it. It's a truck. If your that worried about the scratches get some of that 3m clear paint protector and stick to the panels.

preachp

It is odd question to be asking. If you'd have told me 5 years ago I would be asking this ida slapped you.

To clarify, I have a rcsb.

I'll check out the panel cover. The little mutt is pretty good in the truck. He curls up on the passenger seat and sleeps 90% of the time. The other 10% he is standing on the armrest looking out the window. Little **** figured out pretty quick how to hit the button and roll the window down on my last truck. No child lock on this truck.

Last edited:

jdwaynes1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't sit in the back seat, so I don't care what it looks like back there. My dogs can do whatever they want.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have my lab mixes in the back seat all the time. They love using the door trim to prop up on to get their heads out. Their nails have never left a scratch.

The only thing I do now is lay a sheet down to manage the dog hair.

https://youtu.be/Ip0bwy6hOWk

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: