Door lock actuator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lpdaubney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm new to this forum. I tried a search for how to replace the lock actuator and didn't find anything .i have a 2013 . I took the door panel off and there is another panel held on by 10mm bolts. Does that come off or do you access the actuator through the small access panel. The passenger door will unlock but won't lock with fob or any of the door switches. It also doesn't lock when it gets to 15 mph

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave that inner panel alone!!!
The whole window assembly is bolted to that.
Don't mess with it!

As for the actuator I can't help. Sorry!

OP
OP
L

Lpdaubney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks. I won't mess with it

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You have to pull out the inner to get to the door lock just did it on my 2010. My rear driver side went bad. The way you do it is to pull the door panel off, then plug the window switch back in and lower the window. Pull the speak out and it will give you access to the forward window clip. Unclip it and slowly roll the window up to the big 3x3 access panel and unclipp the rear window clip pull the window all the way up and tape the he'll out of it. Then remove the bolts and the door lock bolts and the whole inner panel will come out. I believe there was one wire I had to disconnect I don't 100% remember if I get time this weekend I can pull it back apart with pictures. The door lock has channels that it slides into so you have to take it apart to get to it. It's not difficult just intimidating I really didn't want to take my window out. And it's helpful to have a extra set of hands.

Attachments

• 20160904_121604.jpg
    20160904_121604.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lpdaubney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the information but now all but the drivers door won't lock electricity. I don't think it's a lock actuator problem now. Hopefully it's not a bcm. Thanks again for the info

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thanks for the information but now all but the drivers door won't lock electricity. I don't think it's a lock actuator problem now. Hopefully it's not a bcm. Thanks again for the info

No problem of you have questions feel free to pm me and I can send you pics and answer your questions. Also when mine went out it just started not moving the locking rod much I would have to hit the button 6 times for it to move enough one way or the other to lock or unlock

OP
OP
L

Lpdaubney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I disconnected the battery and now all the door locks work. Magic I guess.

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
Door locks/handles & the 3 rods

No problem of you have questions feel free to pm me and I can send you pics and answer your questions. Also when mine went out it just started not moving the locking rod much I would have to hit the button 6 times for it to move enough one way or the other to lock or unlock

Thanks for your input.

I attempted to replace the chrome door handle on my truck and ended up dissembling the door lock...Now the from door won't open and the door's lock rod is bent beyond straightening...I ordered a new lock rod and my question to you and others:

Is there a diagram that shows how the three rods related to the door lock & handle are assembled?
The driver's keyhole was damaged and now it's covered by the new handle; I cannot use a key until the new lock mechanism is keyed by a locksmith.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thanks for your input.

I attempted to replace the chrome door handle on my truck and ended up dissembling the door lock...Now the from door won't open and the door's lock rod is bent beyond straightening...I ordered a new lock rod and my question to you and others:

Is there a diagram that shows how the three rods related to the door lock & handle are assembled?
The driver's keyhole was damaged and now it's covered by the new handle; I cannot use a key until the new lock mechanism is keyed by a locksmith.

I'm not sure about the diagram but I do remember being super easy on witch rod went where. I think all the lengths and bend directions made it simple if you don't find a diagram let me know. I found a break down on how to do it on another forum and I can see if I can find it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45