Easy interior lighting solutions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steady_yeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter V8
In my truck I only have the dome light, and would like to be able to see inside the ashtray/fold down console/etc.

I ordered this as a map light for starters.

I would ideally like LED strips hidden above, which turned on when the location was opened up - that being said, I'm not at all familiar with doing such mods, and would rather not muck up my shiny new truck.

Any ideas for non-invasive solutions?

The fold-down console has both a USB and a lighter socket, though the USB has a thumb drive permanently inserted. The ashtray is located near the dual lighter sockets. The passenger side cubby is another issue, but I think I may end up getting the glove compartment conversion kit (with light.)

Would like to hear your ideas. And if you think the install for something more professional would be easy enough, say that too.

TIA.

ddavis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would recommend putting LED lights in place of the map and dome light. The map lights are 194/168, and the dome lights are 578. Much much brighter! I ordered mine off of amazon and they are good quality. As for the map lights those bulbs can also be used for license plate lights, which I also did.

These are what I ordered

Amazon.com: Jtech 10x 194 168 2825 T10 5-SMD White LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

and

Jtech 2x 42mm 8x5050 SMD LED White bulb 211, 212, 211-2, 212-2, 214-2, 560, 569, 578, 6413, 6429 etc. : Amazon.com : Automotive

OP
OP
S

steady_yeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter V8
I would recommend putting LED lights in place of the map and dome light...

Thanks for the reply.

Good info, and I've been considering changing out the dome light for LED... but my issue is that I don't have map lights. I'm trying to figure out a "non-invasive" way to remedy that.

Thaylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have map lights either, so I was thinking of tapping into the dome light and running wires forward to above the rear view mirror, and attaching an aftermarket LED dome light there as well. Then both would turn on at the same time giving more light in the cab.

-Compiled by an Android-

colport833

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
hemi
I have purchased some led strip light rolls (yellow a blue and white)..I plan on having footwell lights in front and under rear seats...tapping into Yellow/Violet wire..either in front right A-post..or behind light switch..A-post is probably easier..the yellow/light blue is for map lights or glove box..you can tap that...havent got around to doing mine...waiting on nicer weather and still figuring where to place lights..

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a regular cab truck? I think Mopar makes an ambient lighting kit for a regular cab. A little pricey, but colored led's and a rotary knob on the dash that controls the color of them. You can probably use it as an idea, find the harness the kit ties into, and make up something cheaper yourself.

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have purchased some led strip light rolls (yellow a blue and white)..I plan on having footwell lights in front and under rear seats...tapping into Yellow/Violet wire..either in front right A-post..or behind light switch..A-post is probably easier..the yellow/light blue is for map lights or glove box..you can tap that...havent got around to doing mine...waiting on nicer weather and still figuring where to place lights..

Where in the A post can this wire be found, the easiest??

I have some LED strips as well, I want to do courtesy lighting under the rocker panels, and light the front footwells, and maybe something in the back as well, maybe under the front seats....

Also, do you know what wire, or lead me to where I can find which wire, runs the cargo light on the back of the cab? I'm putting LEDs under my tonneau cover under the bed rails as well, and would really like them tied to the cargo light.

colport833

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
hemi
I just popped out two egg shaped plugs...used a 8mm socket to remove bolt..and carefully slide up out from behind dash and away from window..be gentle..end of airbag up there...I believe it is a tan with white stripe wire in a 2014 and 13...easiest to confirm is jump up and remove cargo light and see which colors go which bulb..