EVIC cluster recalabration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JesterTA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am working with a company in Wisconsin that is going to see if they are capable of adjusting the odometer and hours. It looks like they will carge 90 bucks plus shipping. If this works out I will post all info.:) Changing from the 3.5 to 7 evic. This is the company I'm dealing with. Thaey haven't done any EVICs so that's why they want to see if they can do it. http://www.taninautoelectronix.com

amocoharley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So your going to modify your odometer?! May I ask why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
He probably upgraded to the 7" display cluster and wants to calibrate the mileage to what his truck is at

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Would this not be illegal?

If the original mileage is transferred over, it is not illegal. If original mileage cannot be transferred, then a zero'd cluster is suppose to be installed and a label affixed to the door jam with original miles at replacement and date of replacement.

This is why dealerships keep vehicles onsite until replacement clusters are ordered and swapped out because the law does not give any deviation of actual mileage and in theory, being off as much as one mile would technically be illegal

http://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/92/513.pdf

LAWFUL SERVICE, REPAIR, OR REPLACEMENT
SEC. 407. Nothing in this title shall prevent the service, repair, or
replacement of an odometer, provided the mileage indicated thereon
remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. Where
the odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before such
service, repair, or replacement, the odometer shall be adjusted to read
zero and a notice in writing shall be attached to the left door frame of
the vehicle by the owner or his agent specifying the mileage prior to
repair or replacement of the odometer and the date on which it was
repaired or replaced. Any removal or alteration of such notice so affixed
shall be unlawful.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure the shop would have some sort of certification to do this. If not, they would be flirting with some bad juju.

Keep on mind that a cluster change without proper paperwork to back it is a potential instant warranty sacrifice!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I think the ecu remembers the true odometer. You can change the reading on the evic but I think they can still pull the true reading if they want.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I think the ecu remembers the true odometer. You can change the reading on the evic but I think they can still pull the true reading if they want.

THIS^^^ theecm will have the proper mileage in it even if you change the evic odometer. ifyou upgrade to the 7" evic you aren't gonna find one with your mileage. You buy one and send it off to get calibrated to say 500 miles over where you are at. When you get to the mileage it's set at pullover switch it out and you have a evic with the correct mileage. If

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's perfectly legal for everyone EXCEPT FOR DEALERSHIPS to change the odometer.

The dealerships make you leave your vehicle for two reasons (1) to ensure the vehicle is not driven and (2) they are not allowed to do any odometer corrections by law and must send your original cluster off to a certified 3rd party.

The ECM does keep a record of actual mileage so it is the master record for warranty purposes. There are no laws that prevent an individual from having the mileage corrected. The only thing that could be considered illegal is if someone knowingly misrepresented the mileage and sold the vehicle. This would be considered a fraudulent sale. To avoid this, all one needs to do is disclose the variance (if any) at the time of sale.

$90 for this service would be an amazing price that will really blow the competition away.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JesterTA

JesterTA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's perfectly legal for everyone EXCEPT FOR DEALERSHIPS to change the odometer.

The dealerships make you leave your vehicle for two reasons (1) to ensure the vehicle is not driven and (2) they are not allowed to do any odometer corrections by law and must send your original cluster off to a certified 3rd party.

The ECM does keep a record of actual mileage so it is the master record for warranty purposes. There are no laws that prevent an individual from having the mileage corrected. The only thing that could be considered illegal is if someone knowingly misrepresented the mileage and sold the vehicle. This would be considered a fraudulent sale. To avoid this, all one needs to do is disclose the variance (if any) at the time of sale.

$90 for this service would be an amazing price that will really blow the competition away.

Yup 90 bucks will be great for all of us. I am dropping it off on Monday to have IT MATCH MY ORIGINAL. Will know in a few days. I am going to tell them that I will see if they can get a Vendor spot on the forums if they charge that much for all of us.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It really depends on your state and if you disclose it's been changed.

You change it and sell or trade without disclosing, you bet your ass it's illegal!

You alter it and you can lose all warranty from the manufacturer. Key word is can.

All I'm saying is tread lightly with odometers.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So what would be the legal way to record a cluster change if you end up changing it yourself?

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought a cluster with more millage than mine. Then when my millage reach the same as the cluster I swapped them . They may have few hundred meter of difference, but both are at the same overall millage. And that was free.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought a cluster with more millage than mine. Then when my millage reach the same as the cluster I swapped them . They may have few hundred meter of difference, but both are at the same overall millage. And that was free.

Still not documented, and could have voided your warranty.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nope, the mileage is stored in the BCM as well. To legally change your mileage you don't need to do anything but disclose the variation in a sale lest you commit fraud. I believe the federal law is within a mile +/-.

Want your warranty to last longer and keep the value of your vehicle higher? Place larger wheels/tires on it without correcting the computer.

No variation, no fraud, no record necessary...

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So what would be the legal way to record a cluster change if you end up changing it yourself?

The Federal law I quoted previously only states if a repair or replacement odometer cannot be set to original miles, then a zero mileage unit has to be installed with a label fixed to the door jam stating mileage of original unit take out of service and date of replacement.

In theory, there is nothing in the law stating any record keeping requirements so long as removal and replacement units jive. No harm, no foul.

The only thing not addressed is if replacing an odometer with a unit that is not zero'd out and with a different mileage. Not until you sell it are you required to declare the known mileage and if there is a discrepancy with the odometer and know mileage, then it is on file with the respective state agency DMV.

I will say that once a vehicle is labeled with a unknown or discrepant odometer, vehicle is treated like either a high mileage or salvage vehicle in terms of value regardless if it is low mileage mechanically.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I bought a part from my local junkyard with a detailled invoice and the dealer validated my millage with my pcm.

Anyway the true millage for any warranty purpose is not the one on the cluster...

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am working with a company in Wisconsin that is going to see if they are capable of adjusting the odometer and hours. It looks like they will carge 90 bucks plus shipping. If this works out I will post all info.:) Changing from the 3.5 to 7 evic. This is the company I'm dealing with. Thaey haven't done any EVICs so that's why they want to see if they can do it. Tanin Auto Electronix Speedometer Repair, Odometer Correction, LED Customization, and DIY Parts

Were they able to adjust?

Backwoodsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed to this thread. I have a 7 inch EVIC I am waiting to install until my truck catches up to it. However, the engine hours on the new cluster are wayyy off from my stock cluster. If I can have those closer and have my new cluster in potentially months sooner then $90 would be totally worth it.

bootlegfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Subscribed as well.