Evic controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autos221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im trying to replace my evic controls so i can use my premium dash but does anyone know how do i take this part out? can it be done without removing the wheel?
01111.jpg
img upload

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't think so because I believe you need to take the wheel out because the screws that hold the front cover come in from the rear.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
damn :/ thanks :favorites13:

Definitely wait until someone else comments because I'm not 100% sure. I know there are screws in both the front and rear. I believe two of the rear screws go through the back cover and thread into the front cover. But, it's been a bit since I've had a wheel apart and can't say with certainty.

OP
OP
autos221

autos221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely wait until someone else comments because I'm not 100% sure. I know there are screws in both the front and rear. I believe two of the rear screws go through the back cover and thread into the front cover. But, it's been a bit since I've had a wheel apart and can't say with certainty.

I was trying to find some diagrams from mopar but cant find anything useful

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subbed. I need to replace my Evic controls. The down arrow button doesn't work all the time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subbed. I need to replace my Evic controls. The down arrow button doesn't work all the time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been looking into this as I just replaced my base instrument cluster with the "evic" style cluster that was available for my 2012. Not as high end as the full on one's available for the 13's and up, but 200% better.. As a result, I have to put in the switch pictured above to replace the one that just has two buttons with "step" and "reset".
1. Take upper and lower halves of column cover off.. Held on by 3 T15 screws.
2. Depress 3 clips at the 3, 9, and 12 o'clock position to remove horn cover/air bag. Video is below
https://youtu.be/aO_nql1yerQ
3. With air bag out of the way, screws holding left hand spoke cover in place are now accessable and switch can be replaced.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've been looking into this as I just replaced my base instrument cluster with the "evic" style cluster that was available for my 2012.

Nice video! Looks familiar. [emoji6]

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Did you do the video?

Yeah I did it for cgeorgemo's adding steering wheel audio controls thread. Always good to see it helping people out.

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I did it for cgeorgemo's adding steering wheel audio controls thread. Always good to see it helping people out.

Would you be familiar with the mod I just did? I upgraded from the base cheapo instrument cluster to the pricier evic styled one available for a 2012. I have to add the multi evic switch (4 arrows/ back button) to access all the available info.. My question is will all the info be accessable and configurable before I install a tpms module? I'm hoping I won't be stuck on the first screen. 7db8b20752d410e7efea73b4734bef88.jpg
And that with the "back"/ left arrow button I'll be able to access info on the following screen
4fe6f26957e62239a68c4b0cd758eef8.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Would you be familiar with the mod I just did? I upgraded from the base cheapo instrument cluster to the pricier evic styled one available for a 2012. I have to add the multi evic switch (4 arrows/ back button) to access all the available info.. My question is will all the info be accessable and configurable before I install a tpms module? I'm hoping I won't be stuck on the first screen.

And that with the "back"/ left arrow button I'll be able to access info on the following screen

I can't say for certain on your 2012 truck since there were changes made in 2013+ trucks (ie mine), but I would expect it to work once you get the proper arrow/button switch for your year installed in the wheel. I would also bet the existing wheel harness should support the buttons.

Getting the wheel apart to install them shouldn't be hard once you get the wheel off. I bet someone here has already done all this on a 2009-2012 truck too.

Last edited:

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't say for certain on your 2012 truck since there were changes made in 2013+ trucks (ie mine), but I would expect it to work once you get the proper arrow/button switch for your year installed in the wheel. I would also bet the existing wheel harness should support the buttons.

Yes I know it's plug and play with the new switch just as it was with the cluster.. Outlaw trucker confirmed that and has been super helpful, I believe he did this exact upgrade himself.. I just haven't heard back from him as regarding the tpms module.. But if I understand what he told me, I won't have to buy the tpms module immediately to move past it.

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice video! Looks familiar. [emoji6]

After watching you remove the airbag I have a question: when you were able to rotate the wheel, were you able to do so with the key in the "on" position with the battery disconnected? I have to think you took the neccessary air bag precautions.

Sent from that thing I carry around

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So you have installed the switch but are waiting for 3k more miles to do the cluster?

Yep. Installed switch when I did center console swap. Was easier to remove airbag with column covers off. Had to change them to delete column shift so I figured good time to change it.

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Installed switch when I did center console swap. Was easier to remove airbag with column covers off. Had to change them to delete column shift so I figured good time to change it.
So I figure you had to disconnect battery, wait 20 minutes, yada yada,, and were able to rotate the wheel to depress the clips holding the air bag with the power off?
Btw - you've been incredibly helpful to me through this whole process

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I figure you had to disconnect battery, wait 20 minutes, yada yada,, and were able to rotate the wheel to depress the clips holding the air bag with the power off?
Btw - you've been incredibly helpful to me through this whole process

I didn't disconnect **** but the airbag

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
After watching you remove the airbag I have a question: when you were able to rotate the wheel, were you able to do so with the key in the "on" position with the battery disconnected? I have to think you took the neccessary air bag precautions.

I disconnected the battery and waited for any residual volts to bleed off. Pretty sure I put a jack under the front to take some weight off and make it easier to turn. It's been awhile.