gauge cluster upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
hello everyone just wondering if u can put the evic gauge cluster in a truck that didn't come with one i have a 2012 st crew 4x4 with a hemi

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I know people have done it. I think you'd need to add a rear view mirror from a slt or higher model to get the compass feature to work. Another thing to consider is the mileage, you would need to find one with mileage close to yours, higher mileage would work better. you would have to wait until the mileage on your truck matched the one you would install before swapping it in.

SELARAM12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i was wondering if you ever did the cluster swap im planning on doing this?

NMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000-2500
Engine
5.9 V8 360
I did the cluster swap on my 2010......it IS NOT plug and play. You can plug the EVIC cluster in, and the guages will all work, but none of the EVIC functions work, and you lose the horn. I swapped the steering wheel at the same time as I did the cluster, so I had the controls but nothing would interact. Also, as mentioned, the mileage is stored in the cluster not the ecu, so you will need a cluster with mileage slightly higher than yours then swap when they match. I got lucky and found one locally that fit the bill......except it was from an 09. I found some folks on other forums that had gotten them to work, so I did everything they said and got most of the functions, but there were a few things that never did function correctly (tpms, trailer brake control, ERS shifting, compass). To avoid some of these problems, be sure you get a cluster from the same year as your truck.

To get the horn to function and to get power to the steering wheel controls, you have to cut and splice some wires at the clock spring under the dash/wheel (instructions available on another forum, PM me if you want a link). Then, you have to get the dealership to add some sales codes to your build. I got lucky, and the dealership I bought mine through figured out how to do it. The main one is RDZ, but there are others that can be added if you want to enable some of the other features (I don't have them offhand). To get the compass to work, you will need the overhead console with the compass module, and you will have to do some additional wiring (I never did this). As far as the TPMS, trailer brake control screen, and ERS shifting, it probably comes down to the fact that the 09 did not have the option for TPMS and TBC, and the wiring for the ERS may have changed (no one could ever tell me for sure-I may have just gotten a screwy cluster).

If I hadn't gotten rid of the truck, I was going to try to track down a 10 or 11 cluster to try so I could see if any of the issues I had were resolved. I never did get it done though, so I can't help more there.

BigTerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NMRAM i did the swap on my 2010 . Do you have info are a diagram on making the horn to work... I do not have the steering wheel for this cluster, to be honest Im happy just to have the gauges.. if you still have any info could you send them to me please?

Thanks! Have a bless day!

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just watched a video from "Big Daddy's House", who is here on the forums, addressing this exact topic. He swapped in a new cluster, and he was able to modify the mileage through the AlfaOBD app to match what was accurate from his original cluster. He has a Youtube channel with several informative RAM videos...

Jorgemartino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
NMRAM i did the swap on my 2010 . Do you have info are a diagram on making the horn to work... I do not have the steering wheel for this cluster, to be honest Im happy just to have the gauges.. if you still have any info could you send them to me please?

Thanks! Have a bless day!
Hi, how are you , im new here, i did this wap also on my 2009 ram 1500 3.7 , did not change the stirring wheel yet, and i dont think i will, but i want my horn back, did you vere got that fix? If you did, can you please share with me how you did it please? I realy need my horn back. The evic cluster i got is a 2011 ram. Please, helpbme if you can. Tks

Jorgemartino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I did the cluster swap on my 2010......it IS NOT plug and play. You can plug the EVIC cluster in, and the guages will all work, but none of the EVIC functions work, and you lose the horn. I swapped the steering wheel at the same time as I did the cluster, so I had the controls but nothing would interact. Also, as mentioned, the mileage is stored in the cluster not the ecu, so you will need a cluster with mileage slightly higher than yours then swap when they match. I got lucky and found one locally that fit the bill......except it was from an 09. I found some folks on other forums that had gotten them to work, so I did everything they said and got most of the functions, but there were a few things that never did function correctly (tpms, trailer brake control, ERS shifting, compass). To avoid some of these problems, be sure you get a cluster from the same year as your truck.

To get the horn to function and to get power to the steering wheel controls, you have to cut and splice some wires at the clock spring under the dash/wheel (instructions available on another forum, PM me if you want a link). Then, you have to get the dealership to add some sales codes to your build. I got lucky, and the dealership I bought mine through figured out how to do it. The main one is RDZ, but there are others that can be added if you want to enable some of the other features (I don't have them offhand). To get the compass to work, you will need the overhead console with the compass module, and you will have to do some additional wiring (I never did this). As far as the TPMS, trailer brake control screen, and ERS shifting, it probably comes down to the fact that the 09 did not have the option for TPMS and TBC, and the wiring for the ERS may have changed (no one could ever tell me for sure-I may have just gotten a screwy cluster).

If I hadn't gotten rid of the truck, I was going to try to track down a 10 or 11 cluster to try so I could see if any of the issues I had were resolved. I never did get it done though, so I can't help more there.
Hi, did you ever got the horn to work? I am running in to the same issue, if you got it working, can you share with me how you did it please. Tks in advance

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would also like to know if it can be done. One of my biggest complaints is that I enjoy the digital speedometer on my Charger. I would really like to upgrade.

tallen4392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I swaped my cluster on my 2012 express with a 2012 big horn with evic I also just replaced the switch pod on the left side of the steering everything works except the tpms and compass I knew the compass would not work without the upper console but I don't know why the display won't show tire psi but the yellow light for tpms comes on at start up so the signal is there no problem with horn ...

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swaped my cluster on my 2012 express with a 2012 big horn with evic I also just replaced the switch pod on the left side of the steering everything works except the tpms and compass I knew the compass would not work without the upper console but I don't know why the display won't show tire psi but the yellow light for tpms comes on at start up so the signal is there no problem with horn ...
What step you need to replace the switch pod? Do I need to remove the airbag and the steering wheels?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn