Gauge Faces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 CC sport with the 6.4 bed. It was previously a Canadian vehicle, and my build sheet said it had a 200 KPH speedo. I guess when it was imported to the U.S. someone swapped either the cluster or the garage faces for a 120 MPH speedo.

My question is does the tachometer look like a normal sport tachometer? It shows that it redlines at 3000 rpm. That doesn't seem right. Also my speedometer is off by 2-3 MPH. The digital one matches the GPS on my phone but you can see the needle is off.

If it isn't the correct gauge faces, does Ram sell those and would anyone know what the part number is?

Thanks. b8823fc8742576987c02f26f2ea12a0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a Hemi that's definitely wrong. I have the same guage cluster and the tach is different.uploadfromtaptalk1442268342862.jpg

That looks like the tach for the Cummins or the EcoD.

Last edited:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
The entire cluster can't be out of a Cummins or an EcoDiesel or it would have a DEF gauge. But it definitely shouldn't have that tach in it. Is it actually reading the correct RPM on that tach or is it way off because of the difference in scale?

OP
OP
B

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The entire cluster can't be out of a Cummins or an EcoDiesel or it would have a DEF gauge. But it definitely shouldn't have that tach in it. Is it actually reading the correct RPM on that tach or is it way off because of the difference in scale?

I am not sure if it is reading correctly or not, but I don't think it is. Can I view the tachometer with the evic? I couldn't figure it out if it is possible. I have 3.55 gears and doing 70 mph it reads about 1200 rpm's so I don't think it is correct.

How hard is it to change those? Do they cost a lot?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I would not screw about, buy a good used one, have it set to your correct mileage idle and driving hours. The dealer can read this through the obdII port. I would be Leary of what the current cluster says.

I would first try to get the seller to pay for this, if not you can find these clusters for around 400.00 and another 175.00 to set it.

I replaced mine, as I had the cheaper one. The guy that programmed mine said he could do it while installed in my truck, he could read the actual mileage and hours from my bcm, tcm or whatever an correct the cluster accordingly.

I actually got mine for 250.00, but this mod has become quite popular.

Just passing info
Here is a couple threads on the subject.
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/how_13-14_premium_cluster_upgrade-54797/
http://www.ramforum.com/f42/14_express_premium_cluster_upgrade-53180/

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info cptwing, I will probably just leave it as is unless I could find a really good deal on one. It doesn't bother me, as Lon as it doesn't hurt anything.

I was kinda hoping I could just swap the faces for about $50, I definitely don't want to spend $575.

Thanks again.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
But are you content that the mileage and operating hours are correct. This can be checked by any dealer and if it were me I would have it checked. Obviously something goofy is going on here.

Not sure how or where you bought the truck, but this could be a sign of odometer fraud and or have serious implications on whatever warranty you might have.

Just food for thought and my .02

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But are you content that the mileage and operating hours are correct. This can be checked by any dealer and if it were me I would have it checked. Obviously something goofy is going on here.

Not sure how or where you bought the truck, but this could be a sign of odometer fraud and or have serious implications on whatever warranty you might have.

that would definitely concern me if i was in that position, but looking at the incorrect tach would drive me crazy as well.

OP
OP
B

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I am not content that my mileage and operating hours are correct. I will have a dealer check them for me as soon as I get a chance. Do you know if they charge for this? I have to take it to a dealer to get the R36 recall done so hopefully they will check it then.

I bought the truck from an independent car lot in Columbus OH, they have really good ratings on Google. I am sure they bought it at an auction so I am not sure who did the gauge swap.

As far as warranty goes, I guess it doesn't transfer over when you bring a Ram from Canada to the US, unless you are the original owner and you move here, at least that is what I was told by the dealer, and when I called Chrysler customer care.

The truck is supposed to have 34xxx on it so it would have been out of warranty at 36k anyway exect powertrain. I got a great deal on the truck but if the odometer is off I will have to see what can be done about that. I will keep you posted.

OP
OP
B

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that would definitely concern me if i was in that position, but looking at the incorrect tach would drive me crazy as well.

The tach does bother me but not enough that if I have to spend $500 to fix, I will just deal with it.

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 CC sport with the 6.4 bed. It was previously a Canadian vehicle, and my build sheet said it had a 200 KPH speedo. I guess when it was imported to the U.S. someone swapped either the cluster or the garage faces for a 120 MPH speedo.

My question is does the tachometer look like a normal sport tachometer? It shows that it redlines at 3000 rpm. That doesn't seem right. Also my speedometer is off by 2-3 MPH. The digital one matches the GPS on my phone but you can see the needle is off.

If it isn't the correct gauge faces, does Ram sell those and would anyone know what the part number is?

Thanks. b8823fc8742576987c02f26f2ea12a0e.jpg

May want to look into the Laws on this as well. Its Illegal to modify the odometer without filling proper paperwork with the DMV. When the truck was sold to you, it should have some sort of paperwork showing the cluster was changed and what the odometer was at that time.. again, this is if it was done properly. Being they installed the wrong cluster i'm guessing it was not.

THE FEDERAL ODOMETER TAMPERING STATUTES | CIVIL | Department of Justice

Good Luck!

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
May want to look into the Laws on this as well. Its Illegal to modify the odometer without filling proper paperwork with the DMV. When the truck was sold to you, it should have some sort of paperwork showing the cluster was changed and what the odometer was at that time.. again, this is if it was done properly. Being they installed the wrong cluster i'm guessing it was not.

THE FEDERAL ODOMETER TAMPERING STATUTES | CIVIL | Department of Justice

Good Luck!

if they swapped the cluster and kept the mileages the same, theres no issue. but if the mileages are incorrect and the truck was advertised/sold with the wrong mileage, its considered fraud.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the info cptwing, I will probably just leave it as is unless I could find a really good deal on one. It doesn't bother me, as Lon as it doesn't hurt anything.

I was kinda hoping I could just swap the faces for about $50, I definitely don't want to spend $575.

Thanks again.

You can swap to the correct lens and mask very easily. It's around $75 to replace new. I have a damaged one I'll give you to see if it corrects your problem if you pay for the shipping.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
if they swapped the cluster and kept the mileages the same, theres no issue. but if the mileages are incorrect and the truck was advertised/sold with the wrong mileage, its considered fraud.
Exactly, there is no crime without intent to knowingly defraud the buyer. The only people prohibited from altering mileage themselves are dealers. They have to have a certified 3rd party match mileage on new replacement clusters.

OP
OP
B

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can swap to the correct lens and mask very easily. It's around $75 to replace new. I have a damaged one I'll give you to see if it corrects your problem if you pay for the shipping.

Hey SitKneelBend on your damaged on, will I just take the tachometer face or mask off of it and replace mine with that one? I will definitely pay shipping cost if so.

If you pm me your PayPal info and the amount I will take care of it.

Thank you very much.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey SitKneelBend on your damaged on, will I just take the tachometer face or mask off of it and replace mine with that one? I will definitely pay shipping cost if so.

If you pm me your PayPal info and the amount I will take care of it.

Thank you very much.

I wasn't thinking correctly in my earlier post. The lens and mask part can't change the gauge "numbers" themselves (sorry).

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So, when you got WOT does the tack rolls all way to the right? lol