Hate that tranny knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought my brand new 1500
4 WD and I'm kicking myself buying it for one dumb reason: I can't stand that knob on the console for the transmission. I've already more than once got the stereo knob and tranny knob confused while driving.
I really wanted a Ram and I thought I could get used to not having a lever on the steering column like every other truck on the planet has.
Now I'm stuck with a $40,000 truck that I'm unhappy with.
Why did Dodge design it this way???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You saw it yourself, you chose to buy it anyway;
that's on you.This is new to me too, I don't mind
it, but that's my opinion. You'll get used to it eventually

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You saw it yourself, you chose to buy it anyway; that's on you. This is new to me too, I don't mind it, but that's my opinion.

I know it's on me. Just think I might accept it if there was a reason for dodge doing away from the column shifter

rvj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I've been driving for 45 years. I avoided the Ram because of the dial shifter. I hated the transmission shifting issues of my 2014 Silverado so I bought a 2016 F150 because I still didn't want the dial shifter of the Ram. The F150 had so many wind noise leaks that the dealer couldn't fix that I decided it was going away no matter how much I was going to lose on it. I didn't want a Titan or a Tundra so I was really stuck in a hard place. I swallowed my opinions and figured there was no choice except trying the Ram out. I've only had it a couple months and I'm just now getting used to it and I no longer grab the wrong knob. I think if Ram would have put a colored bezel on the knob the transition would have been easier for my brain to figure out earlier than it actually did.
I will say this though, even though there was a learning curve, there is no comparison between the F150 or the Silverado when it comes to comfort of the seats, smoothness of the shifting or satisfaction of thinking I have finally found the brand I can be happy with.
Give it some time and like me, I think you will get used to it and be glad you made the jump to Ram. I couldn't be happier with mine at this point.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will get used to it. Only took me about a week before it became second nature to reach for the ***. Give it some time.

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been driving for 45 years. I avoided the Ram because of the dial shifter. I hated the transmission shifting issues of my 2014 Silverado so I bought a 2016 F150 because I still didn't want the dial shifter of the Ram. The F150 had so many wind noise leaks that the dealer couldn't fix that I decided it was going away no matter how much I was going to lose on it. I didn't want a Titan or a Tundra so I was really stuck in a hard place. I swallowed my opinions and figured there was no choice except trying the Ram out. I've only had it a couple months and I'm just now getting used to it and I no longer grab the wrong knob. I think if Ram would have put a colored bezel on the knob the transition would have been easier for my brain to figure out earlier than it actually did.
I will say this though, even though there was a learning curve, there is no comparison between the F150 or the Silverado when it comes to comfort of the seats, smoothness of the shifting or satisfaction of thinking I have finally found the brand I can be happy with.
Give it some time and like me, I think you will get used to it and be glad you made the jump to Ram. I couldn't be happier with mine at this point.

Thank you for the good response
I'll try. It just seems kind of cheap and unnatural. To just put a dial on the dash was a real leap by dodge. Just wondering what they were thinking

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I have found out is turning up the fan does not make you go forward.

Lol. Yep! I found that out too! Same thing with the radio.
Thank you

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will get used to it. Only took me about a week before it became second nature to reach for the ***. Give it some time.

Thank you!

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it's on me. Just think I might accept it if there was a reason for dodge doing away from the column shifter

Since there is no real mechanical need due to the electronic connections on the transmission, it's cheaper to use a knob (plastic) which consists of a knob, spindle (plastic), base (plastic) and electrical connectors instead of using a lever (metal), multipoint pivot joint (metal and some plastic) and a bunch of contact points just to close a circuit. In the grand scheme of things, it's always about eliminating costs on the manufacturing side to improve corporate profit wherever possible.

THE HEMI MAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it brings a bit of luxury to the highend models, the lower end one come with the column shifter if im not mistaken. I like it alot actually.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you get used to it you'll cursing everything else you drive for having a normal shifter .I drive a lot of different vehicles for work and after having my Ram for a couple of weeks you wonder why you even liked having a shifter in the first place.So much easier to use and nothing stuck out in the road of anything.

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
I have been looking at newer rams and i have not bought one because of that damn knob i will not purchase something i plan on having for a long while if it has items on it i don't like i have found plenty of trucks i really love but then they have the knob and i walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Knobs belong on radios not as gear selectors!!!!!!!!! JMO!!!!

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking at newer rams and i have not bought one because of that damn knob i will not purchase something i plan on having for a long while if it has items on it i don't like i have found plenty of trucks i really love but then they have the knob and i walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Knobs belong on radios not as gear selectors!!!!!!!!! JMO!!!!

I understand where your coming from.
All you can do is go with the 2500 ram truck if you want the column shifter

Kytow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wish they would put the G56 in these trucks.

Sent from somewhere with confusion.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Nice. Thank you very much

Yeah, I know it is snarky but it is what we tell the guys at my work who just kick and scream when a new process is implemented and they knew going in it was coming.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Only way to get the 8 speed trans which is a night and day improvement over the 545/65rfe. There is no difference in function of the knob vs a gear selector and I have to get used to driving my F350 with the column shifter after driving my ram with the console shifter. I can't tell you the number of times I've reached for one or the other in the wrong truck, it's no different than the shift knob.