Heat floor setting still blows out of defrost!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtstj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive done some searching on google and here and cannot find my specific problem. Here is what is going on. When I put the heat in defrost mode, it works on defrost perfectly. When I switch it to floor only, it still blows a little out of the dash defrost vents along with the floor. Its as if floor only is doing the floor and defrost setting. I spent last weekend opening up the console and looking at the Actuators. They are both working and move when the controls are switched. The actuator that controls defrost and floor seems to work fine, I even opened it up to see if the motor hangs, etc. It looks fine. What I did find was when it goes back from Defrost to floor, it stops short. As if the juice is getting cut off before the servo when it returns the blend door to the floor. If I take out the screws to the actuator and hold it in place, then switch from defrost to floor, as soon as I pull it out, the blend door moves a bit more to the full position for the floor.

I played around with this for quite awhile, I even swapped out the actuators and they both do the same thing. They dont quite return the blend door to the stop that would force the air fully to the floor.

Anyone else have this issue? Is the HVAC blend door actuator signal programmable by the computer? Im so tired of heat in my face!

Skipit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the exact same problem in my 16. My 05 did it too and progressively got worse until there is no heat to the floor, blend door finally gave up. 250000. Miles I’m good with that.
My 16 started doing it promptly after windshield was replaced. Installer broke it. Fine glass everywhere! I can see it in the speakers so suspect it went down the vent also. Safe lite did the install fyi. Into the dealer to troubleshoot since it’s the only way safe lite will pay if it is a problem caused by broken glass.
One way warranty the other they pay.

Skipit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any new input on this would be greatly appreciated.
I can’t stand the slight breeze in my face.

Btw if set to floor-cabin it does exactly that. Set to floor floor + defrost. When set to defrost it seems to be ok.

OP
OP
jtstj

jtstj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My solution was to switch it to bi-level ( floor and dash) and then just turn off the dash vents. I think the system can be adjusted at the dealer but who knows what that would cost!

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Any new input on this would be greatly appreciated.
I can’t stand the slight breeze in my face.

Btw if set to floor-cabin it does exactly that. Set to floor floor + defrost. When set to defrost it seems to be ok.

Usually, it is the blend door causing too much resistance for the servo to fully function the door into place.
Short of removing everything, finding the cause and repairing, use the method described above.