Heated / Ventilated Seats and heated steering wheel not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up a used 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab 4x4. The truck is pretty loaded and everything appears to work as designed except for the heated and ventilated seats and heated steering wheel.

I started to wonder if a prior owner tried to self-upgrade the interior perhaps. So, I used the VIN and pulled a build sheet. Sure enough, all the options on the truck are listed on the build sheet including the heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel options.

So, if push any of the 5 buttons (driver heat, driver cool, steering wheel, passenger heat or passenger cool), the button will light up for about 2 seconds and then turn off. This is leading me to believe something more central is the problem. Maybe a module or a common wire used for continuity?

I tried some searches but couldn't seem to find a scenario as I am experiencing. It seems most people lose the heated seat but still have other options working.

Any ideas where to start to trouble shoot this issue? Winter is coming to Michigan sooner rather than later and I would love to fix this one issue.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like the module under the seat is bad. The light will come on for a few seconds when its trying to send the module the signal, once it does not respond it will kill the light. The module under the driver seat controls the heated and cooled seats as well the steering wheel. Do both power seats work?

Check the fuses would be my first stop, then perhaps hit a dealer that someone likes you at to see if they can poll the module and tell it to turn on

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the answer. I was trying to search to see if all 5 ran through the same module, which I thought would make sense, or not. All 5 buttons exhibit the same problem. Like turns on for about 2-3 seconds and then turn back off. A bad module would make sense if it controls all 5 options.

The power seats (drivers and passenger) both work fine. I will start looking for fuses related to the heated seats. I did find a 20A fuse and it wasn't blown nor scorched looking. I will be getting under the seats next and finding the module.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its under the driver seat. It will have a continental logo on it. Make sure the harness also from the floor to the seat is properly connected, there should be 2 for the driver side. The one for the heated/cooled is yellow.

correction, the one for my 2014 is yellow, i think the older 4th gen are gray

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sort of get that issue every now and then. Only the drivers side heated part. Shut the truck off and restart, and it seems to work fine.

OP
OP
G

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "turn the truck off and on" trick doesn't work for me. All 5 buttons act exactly the same way every time the truck is started or key is turned to the on position. Cycling power doesn't change any of the buttons actions.

I have a new seat heater module on order from the dealer right now. I hope that solves it, I would love to fix this problem.

OP
OP
G

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, some good news. I removed the module from under the seat last night. That way, ordering a new one would be easy if I took some pictures of the label in good lighting. I then reinstalled it, in case some problems cropped up trying to drive the truck with it uninstalled.

Now the heated and cooled seats are working, but the steering wheel still fails. I am leaning toward using some contact cleaner and cleaning everything gently. Anyone know which plug going into the module controls the steering wheel? I have 4 total and 1 blank on the module with no contacts. I assume that plug on the module, if present, would've been for the rear heated seats (which I do not have).

OP
OP
G

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And another update. When I used the remote start this morning, the heated seats and steering wheel both failed to turn on, no surprise there.

But, I couldn't turn on the heated seats after that until I turned the truck off and on. Then the heated seats operated and the steering wheel failed.

I believe there is a safety check when using the remote start, if part of the system fails, that it temporarily disables the whole system. Stopping and starting the truck resets that temporary kill.

I am going to disable the heated seats and steering wheel with remote start and try it again tomorrow morning. I will report back what I find.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the steering wheel is likely the element it the wheel, they are prone to fail. Sounds like there is a bad connection in the module. Even though it now works intermittent it sounds to me like there is something in that module going bad.

OP
OP
G

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, finally got the new module (waited until payday) and installed it. My steering wheel is toasty warm and all the seat controls work perfect.

Before, I couldn't hear the relay click for the steering wheel. When the seats worked, I could hear the relay. Now, I hear the relay click each time.

Cool mornings are on their way, best $140 I spent to fix this issue to have a comfortable cabin.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
glad it was just the module. I havent seen one actually go bad, but its nice to see its easy to diagnose

OP
OP
G

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was actually kind of surprised myself. I half expected it to be the element in the steering wheel and tearing that apart to check continuity didn't sound like a fun job.

Visually, my seat rails have some rust scale and there was some overall "gunk" on the module under the seat. It is a northern truck, so melted snow and salt evaporating in the cab might've caused the problems.

connorbernard7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ventilated seats work for both driver and passenger side, only the heated seat on the drivers side works and heated steering wheel just **** the bed last week. Both lights turn on for 2-3 seconds and shut off. I checked the module under the drivers seat for broken wires and connection but everything looked fine? What was the part number for the module under the drivers seat you replaced ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was actually kind of surprised myself. I half expected it to be the element in the steering wheel and tearing that apart to check continuity didn't sound like a fun job.

Visually, my seat rails have some rust scale and there was some overall "gunk" on the module under the seat. It is a northern truck, so melted snow and salt evaporating in the cab might've caused the problems.

My seats came from a north truck and they are a bit rusty as well. Lucky they work perfect.

OP
OP
G

GregC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Connorbernard7

I just took the VIN to the parts counter and they ordered the correct one for my year and trim level. Not sure if different years would make a difference or not.

My old part number was: 05026630AK

My new part number was: 05026630AL

I assume the "L" change means a revision or a superceded part number for the 2012 model year. Not sure.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last 2 digits (leters) are revisions. The AL is just a later model. Could be from a different factory/vendor/assembly line or more has more functions or better firmware for heating speed or cooling but works all the same for getting the seats to do the job.