Homelink upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought I would let everyone here know that it Is possible to upgrade your overhead console to one with homelink. My 2016 Rebel had the overhead console but it did not have the homelink option. So I ordered a new console with the HL option for a 2015 ram, and it works great. The dash will display when a button is pushed. Best of all, it is plug and play. Takes less than 5 minutes to swap them.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I added a HL console from a Bighorn in my Express. Wiring was already there for console lights. Plugged in and works like factory!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes if your truck already has the overhead console the wiring is there. Your compass is mounted in the overhead console. The Homelink/Compass module uses the same plug . It will work plug and play. It is a very popular upgrade.

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a homelink console, so hopefully next week I will be swapping them out and be able to get rid of my garage door opener on the visor.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question regarding the homelink/compass module ...

I have the UConnect 5 and the basic overhead console with map light but w/o homelink.

In my EVIC cluster the compass heading is showing, but if I switch the UConnect to compass mode it doesn't show the heading. I get an error message like "compass not available" or something like that.

If I upgrade to the homelink console and swap the existing compass module with the homelink/compass module would the compass heading be available on the radio screen as well?

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a glitch that a lot of people have had with their 5.0 radios and the compass heading not showing up like it supposed to. I am not sure if replacing the Compass module with Homelink/Compass module will correct your issues but I am positive that the Homelink will work. When I had my 5.0 radio the compass button work fine I guess I was fortunate I have read many posts of people that say does not operate. When I replaced my standard Compass module with the Homelink /Compass module everything continued to work exactly the same except I had the Homelink feature. I guess it's worth a try to replace it you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The Homelink is nice to have and transmits from a pretty good distsnce.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll give it a try.
Just ordered my homelink console.
BTW part # for 2013 and up is 68105822AB (the module).
Will keep you posted!

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, received and successfully installed a 2016 Homelink console in my 2013 today.
(The Homelink module has the part # 68105822AB.)

Everything seems to work plug & play without any dealer programming necessary.
All the buttons light up & the Homelink messages appear in the EVIC.

(Unfortunately I wasn't able to successfully program it to work with my 20 Year old Liftmaster, but I keep on trying.)

As for the compass heading in the radio display - no changes there.
I still get the "no signal" error message in the radio screen even though the compass heading shows in the EVIC.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Okay, received and successfully installed a 2016 Homelink console in my 2013 today.
(The Homelink module has the part # 68105822AB.)

Everything seems to work plug & play without any dealer programming necessary.
All the buttons light up & the Homelink messages appear in the EVIC.

(Unfortunately I wasn't able to successfully program it to work with my 20 Year old Liftmaster, but I keep on trying.)

As for the compass heading in the radio display - no changes there.
I still get the "no signal" error message in the radio screen even though the compass heading shows in the EVIC.

I'm also trying to get my temperature and compass working after my 5.0 to 8.4 NAV upgrade, also when you had the head liner open did you happen to notice if there was wiring for lighted sun visors?

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also trying to get my temperature and compass working after my 5.0 to 8.4 NAV upgrade, also when you had the head liner open did you happen to notice if there was wiring for lighted sun visors?

Didn't see any additional wiring up there. Just the wires for the Homelink/Compass module, the Map lights & the little "ambient" light dot.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still no luck in programming the Homelink.
I have a 1992 Liftmaster garage door opener (41A4201-5).
It has no rolling code and a 390mhz transmitter.
(Original remote got lost, so just 2 different aftermarket units.)

I really tried everything!
Homelink justwon't pick up the damn signal from the remote.
I always get the "Channel 1 not trained" error message after a minute of "training". :(

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know my garage door opener had to be put into programing mode by actually pushing a button on the garage door opener itself. It works great but now we have managed to lose the original garage door opener remote so I hope I never have to remember program it!

Hawks in a tree

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Bought a used overhead console, it won’t show any message on display , I’m thinking it must not work, any suggestions?

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I just bought a used homelink module. When plugged in it showed “Channel 1, training” when the #1 button was pushed and so on. Your module must not work.
Sorry.

IslandRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you need the premium cluster for the homelink upgrade or does it matter? Mine has the regular evic.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Thought I would let everyone here know that it Is possible to upgrade your overhead console to one with homelink. My 2016 Rebel had the overhead console but it did not have the homelink option. So I ordered a new console with the HL option for a 2015 ram, and it works great. The dash will display when a button is pushed. Best of all, it is plug and play. Takes less than 5 minutes to swap them.
Good to know! I ordered one off ebay and it should be here Monday!

RonVez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey
Did same,purchased used overhead off Ebay
plugged into harness on drivers side panel but no compass in vp2 nor on evic

when plug into harness do you remember if had wires missing in the panel harness?

do we have to use the AlfaOBD to activate? If so what procedures?

Thanks,Ron