Horn quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Greetings,
I've had the truck for a year now. ~ 3 months ago I swapped out the stock steering wheel for a heated leather wheel and all was well, horn worked fine and radio control buttons on the back of the wheel worked as advertised. Also when setting the alarm with the key fob the horn would chirp. Sometime after installing the 8.4 NAV (was a 5.0 factory) I think I was playing with the door lock settings and then sometime after that I noticed the horn button on the steering wheel didn't work, sometime after that I noticed the horn no longer chirped with the key fob when setting the alarm either. I've checked the 8.4 NAV and it is set to chirp the horn when setting the alarm, I also checked the horn fuse and it's fine. Seems like a BCM programming issue? Anybody else have this issue or have a fix?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Power and ground is a straight shot from the TIPM and the horn. Check both for voltage when activating horn by either method. No voltage, wire or TIPM issue.

If a TIPM and do not want to spend the coin to replace, not that hard adding a relay to bypass it for the horn.

OP
OP

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Power and ground is a straight shot from the TIPM and the horn. Check both for voltage when activating horn by either method. No voltage, wire or TIPM issue.

If a TIPM and do not want to spend the coin to replace, not that hard adding a relay to bypass it for the horn.

Winner, I'll give it a shot.
I haven't had the time to troubleshoot the issue other than checking the fuse and noting no voltage on either side of it. I checked the wiring diagram and there isn't voltage on the fuse until the horn is turned on. I understand the horn button not working and possible steering wheel wiring but the alarm not chirping the horn is a different story. I do like your solution to get back to a functioning horn :naughty: and will keep it in mind for a solution. Finding time seems to be my battle at the moment :crazy:
Much appreciated :)

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Sounds like your problem is down stream of the TIPM. When I did a horn upgrade for my 2500 gasser, I tapped into the wiring to the connector on the back side of the TIPM. In my case it was the only two wires going to that one smaller connector. Yours maybe the same and I would suggest back probing the back side of the connector and actuating the horn button to see if you got voltage/ground. If not, I would call the TIPM. If voltage is present, then it is down stream wiring and/or the horn itself. Unfortunately, these late model RAMS have the horn buried in the driver inner fender well and you have to remove the liner for access to the horn.