How the heck do you install a child seat in these trucks???!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09 crew cab, and need to figure out how to install a FORWARD facing child seat in the back.

I see all the LOWER hooks, and have no problem with the lower part of the seat install, it's the UPPER latch that is driving me crazy trying to figure out!
I read the owners manual, and that was no help. It says there is supposed to be some hook or something behind the head rest, and that you run the seat strap from one of the end rests to the middle rest??? ...huh?

...But there is no metal hook to clip the seat strap to, just a wide nylon strap that seems to serve no purpose, and the middle headrest on my truck is IMOVEABLE! It will not budge for ANYTHING, and even if it did, I still don't see anything to hook the top seat strap to????

I know some of you guys with crews must have kids too, so how the heck do you instal a kids seat???

...By the way, I tried doing searchs all over the web, but all I found was other people with the same question, but no helpful solutions. :(

Edit: I meant "crew cab" not quad, my bad!

Last edited:

LoadedLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you using the latch system?

I've got our rear facing one in my truck right now and it works great, all I have to do is flip the seat around and latch it the same way according to the instructions.
All thought mine is a crew cab too, may be different.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The upper latch is inside of that nylon strap. That strap is there to keep the latch from scratching behind the seat. Stick your fingers inside that strap and feel down in there. You'll find it.

Requiem478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have a child seat in my truck too. I almost came on this forum and asked the same question as you, but I got it figured out and once I did I was very impressed with how snug it fits.

Anyway, if you're using latch (recommended) you should find the lower anchors between the seat cushions and the top one in that nylon strap behind the headrest. You also gotta push down really hard on the center of the seat while you tighten the lower anchors

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, but there is nothing attached to the "behind the headrest strap" that will accept the hook latch on the car seats upper strap. The headrest strap seems to be fixed to a tiny piece of metal that is too small to hook anything to.

After messing with it enough though, I came up with my own solution, which was to run the child seats upper strap THROUGH the trucks headrest strap/loop, run it back down to one of the trucks lower anchors, where I clipped it in and pulled it nice and tight.

...I also chose to utilize both the seat belt AND the lower anchors/clips for the lower half of the child seat.

I don't think it's going anywhere now. Feels very secure!

...I'd like to talk to the ******** at Dodge who designed and wrote the instructions for this thing though!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That won't work. The headrest will break loose in an accident, it's not designed to restrain the forward momentum of the car seat. If you can't figure it out, just go to your local fire dept and they will do it for you.

Remember, you're not talking about a convenient way to hold your soda in place. You are trying to properly install a carseat to save your child's life. This isn't time to get frustrated and half ass some **** poor solution.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^^ This Definitely!! I can honestly tell you that every fire house I've worked in has been more than happy to assist someone with car seats. Remember, it makes our job a little more bearable too.

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That won't work. The headrest will break loose in an accident, it's not designed to restrain the forward momentum of the car seat. If you can't figure it out, just go to your local fire dept and they will do it for you.

Remember, you're not talking about a convenient way to hold your soda in place. You are trying to properly install a carseat to save your child's life. This isn't time to get frustrated and half ass some **** poor solution.

It's not touching the headreast. It's going through the seatbelt like strap from behind the headrest. That is the only thing there is for which to attach the seats upper support to. And if it is made of the same nylon like stuff as seatbelts, and anchored to the truck, I don't see a problem.

Funny though, the directions in my owners manual say to loop the childseats belt around one headrest before running it to the middle rest where you then hook it to a non-existant anchor!?!

I do plan on getting the advice of the fire dpt. But I don't see any other options. And I'm betting they will agree.

Obviously this is important, that is why I'm frustrated that Dodge has such a poor design, and **** poor directions.

Last edited:

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just browsed the 09 manual and it looks pretty straight forward to me. You run the upper car seat strap through the tether behind the head rest and pull it across to the latch point behind the center headrest.

I hope that helps. I have three kids in car seats, so I always stay on top of this stuff.

Attachments

• 09 latch.jpg
    09 latch.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 3,319
  • 09 latch 2.jpg
    09 latch 2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 995
OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just browsed the 09 manual and it looks pretty straight forward to me. You run the upper car seat strap through the tether behind the head rest and pull it across to the latch point behind the center headrest.

I hope that helps. I have three kids in car seats, so I always stay on top of this stuff.

Yeah, I read that too. Sounds good except that there is no latch point behind my center headrest. Just another strap.

I found that by folding up the lower truck seat, the upper backrest portion leans forward allowing me to get a good look at what's behind there. And there is nothing back there to hook on to. ??? I even opened up my rear sliding window, climbed into the bed, and looked through from the back just to get a really good look back there.

But I basically did what the directions say, only I ran the tether back down to one of the lower anchor latch points. Seems to work quite well, but if there is a better solution, I am open to it! :)

Last edited:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Mine hooks into the nylon strap at the top. No issues there. :D

Hey Bryan - congrats on the new kiddo bud!

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I read somewhere that the manual hasn't been updated to reflect the newer trucks. Dodge knows about the error and are reviewing their owners manual. Dodge claims you're supposed to attach to the "nylon loop" as there is no longer a metal ring to attach to. I believe numbers has his correct.

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine hooks into the nylon strap at the top. No issues there. :D

Hey Bryan - congrats on the new kiddo bud!

Thanks jeremy!

Those painted cross hairs on your truck look great!
I'm thinkin about some kind of vinyl decal on my rear panal too, that one you have looks pretty good!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read somewhere that the manual hasn't been updated to reflect the newer trucks. Dodge knows about the error and are reviewing their owners manual. Dodge claims you're supposed to attach to the "nylon loop" as there is no longer a metal ring to attach to. I believe numbers has his correct.

Well that at least makes sense. Good to know I'm not crazy for thinking the directions don't match the vehicle!

....So, I wonder then, do they suggest you just *** up the nylon loop right above the child seat, and clip directly to that one, ...or run the child seats latch/belt through that closest loop, and run it over to be clipped to the center headrests loop? Which sounds goofy, but would more closely match the directions in the manual.??

Either way, I like the way I have it now, so I think I'll stick with it unless an expert tells me otherwise.

kristiiina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V~8
Mine doesn't have a hook behind the center head rest. ***...

pjlietz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Hey all, I have 3 car seats in my 2012. Should be the same install but sounds like my manual is updated.

Depending on where you have your car seat(s) will tell you what nylon strap to attach to.

If you are installing in the center seat you run the upper strap through the nylon loop and hook it to either the left or right nylon loop.

If you are on an outbound seat, run it though that seats loop to the center seats loop.

Either way pull as tight as you can. I always run the seat belt though as a 'back up'

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys very much for the info; putting 2 car seats in the back will be our first "mod" LOL:baby:

jdeere05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i will be installing a child seat as well soon when i buy another one to be in the truck for good, untill then we have one in our van and i did notice today after looking at everything,...wow a lil cluster with the straps..lol but jsut for curiosity...can someone post a pic of there child seat in there crew cab with the latch to the strap...for everyones children...

pjlietz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I can post a few when i put my backseat back in lol.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a pic in the manual... (My kids are at the grandparents this week, and their car seats are in grandpa's truck). There was no issue with the install, except that its a bit ghetto, with the restraint buckles showing, and they get HOT in the sun. My wife wants me to wrap them with something so they don't bang around.