How to remove lower cupholders (no console)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to remove the center lower cupholders in my 2012 Express. I don't have a center console and this model has a large fold-down cupholder in the bottom center of the dash. It operates a little like the lower glovebox but the sides aren't flexible and I don't think you squeeze the sides the way you do to remove the glovebox.

Here's somebody elses picture (not my truck). You can see the cupholder folded open. How do you remove it?

IMAG0117.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
with the cup holder up look under it and see if there are any bolts holding on the hinge. I'm not sure that is how to get it off, but worth a shot

OP
OP
D

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that link. I don't think the cupholder is the source of the rattle after driving around with it in the locked down position. I didn't even know it locked down until I read about it on one of the forums.

I still might need to take it out to find the real rattle and that picture didn't quite give me enough clues to figure it out. There are 2 ears that run in a little track similar to the glove compartment but it doesn't feel like you can just squeeze the sides enough to get them free. The plastic feels too rigid for that but I don't really know. I was afraid to force it and maybe break it.

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i would assume it's just one piece..looking at the part pdf it's one big ass assembly. are you sure there aren't bolt hidden somewheres?

OP
OP
D

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at it again yesterday. I'm sure there are some hidden fasteners, either spring clips or screws but I'm not exactly sure where they are and how to reach them. It looks like the plastic frame that goes below and around the sides of the cupholder might be held by spring clips. Possibly once that is off the rest would be obvious but I'm scared to just start prying without knowing the right method. Sometimes this kind of stuff is shown in DIY threads for radio upgrades, etc but I haven't seen one for the Ram.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a very annoying rattle. It is coming from the pass side dash.
The dash pad is rattling on the top of the air bag assy.

I've not delved into it to figure out the fix. It only does it around 50° or so.
When it's colder or hotter, it's quiet. UGH!

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a rattle around the passenger to! its annoying... it makes noises any time i go over bumps or anything. might take it in to the dealership... cant figure it out and it annoys the crap out of me

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a rattle around the passenger to! its annoying... it makes noises any time i go over bumps or anything. might take it in to the dealership... cant figure it out and it annoys the crap out of me

The dealership here was totally useless.

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my door panels rattle a little... dodges have always been notorious for obnoxious rattles... good thing my radio is loud!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fixing the door rattle is easy. Pop off the panel, there are like 17 (guessing) little plastic hooks. Put a piece of foam camper shell tape on each one.

made my doors nice and solid / quiet. Cost me $3.

OP
OP
D

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm the OP and now I think I've narrowed down the rattle and now I think it's coming from the center jumpseat/armrest. The latch that holds the lid closed rattles but I can't figure out exactly how to fix it. I don't see anything wrong and rubber foam tape isn't working (to firm up the shut action on the lid). I even took the lid off but I can't figure out how what's wrong.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, that's pretty much my only complain about my truck, is the rattling noises. i have a noise that comes from the steering column

Blackline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I have the rattle too. i have taken it in twice and no luck I am just going to live with it, as I hate stealerships.

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cup Holder

What are the three slots next to the cup holders for credit cards ? they are not much good for anything else that I can see.